• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Rare Bear

Firefox won't stay as default browser

I was messing about setting up a Chromecast yesterday and I decide to install Chrome on y computer to try casting from it. Works fine.

The trouble started when I switched it on today. Dresktop sort of cleaned up, lots of programs dissapeared. When I restarted Firefox it was like a new installation, same with Thunderbird. Word had forgotten about recently used documents but the were still where they should be. POwerbuilder had dissapeard from the screen and had forgotten about what it had been working on but the workspaces were still where they shout be. Data sources were OK.

No having sorted out as much of the mess as I need sorted immediatly I am finding that both Firefox and Thunderbird are asking to be made the deafult program for thier tasks every time they are started. I noticed that Chrome had been made the deafult for .pdfs so I wonder are Google really faking the pee.

Anyone got any ideas, theories?

Consider yourself lucky. Now go bury your computer in the garden and don't get involved in this nonsense again.

Do you have, in each of the browsers, the option checked that they each check that they are the default broswer each time you launch them? If so, uncheck the boxes.

Probably the user specific files corrupted and therefore it's acting as a new installation. If you logged into Firefox previously ie have created a Mozilla account then you might be able to restore some of the settings from there. To be honest you'd probably be better of just downloading them again from scratch, browsers become slow and unusable and need refreshing every so often.