• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Its different for girls .. who work in the public sector.

25 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I think UK public sector need to set a maximum of 5 x 15 sick days in a 5 year period.

Take any sick leave off their holiday entitlement...

My last line manager was literally off sick every month. The strange thing was he never showed any signs of illness the day before he was sick and when he came back he never showed any signs of illness. Usually when someone takes time off sick they look sick the day before or complain about not feeling well.

He was a bell end.

It's easy to slag the police but IMHO they do a difficult job and are overwhelmingly decent people...

One of my brother's mates is a cop. Seemingly he went to the scene of a burning car and there was a charred body in the drivers seat. The fire was almost out and he opened the car door, the oxygen got in and the fire started up again, the "body" then starts moving because she's still alive...

Seemingly it was a suicide attempt. Tbh, that would give me nightmares.

And boys ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43811243

'The documents included top secret minutes of a meeting of the Executive Liaison Group, which passes on intelligence of major covert terror investigations to police forces, as well as highly sensitive information about a high-profile investigation.

The location of the documents, which police said were not supposed to have been taken off police premises, remains a "mystery".'

Mr Beale had been due to retire this month after 30 years of police service. Mr Thompson allowed the hearing to be pushed back so Mr Beale's dismissal would not fall outside of his notice period, meaning he could still claim his pension.

Mr Beale's counsel John Beggs QC said in light of his imminent retirement, dismissal would be "merely symbolic", adding the 54-year-old's failings had been "unintentional with no malice or premeditation".

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

It's easy to slag the police but IMHO they do a difficult job and are overwhelmingly decent people...

One of my brother's mates is a cop. Seemingly he went to the scene of a burning car and there was a charred body in the drivers seat. The fire was almost out and he opened the car door, the oxygen got in and the fire started up again, the "body" then starts moving because she's still alive...

I wouldn't be a copper for all the tea in China. Dealing with the dregs and the corrupt and the broken, day in day out. 

Then the stupid system allows for pisstakers to swan off to Thailand for 6 months on full pay? You'd give in and end up doing that yourself, or quitting, or topping yourself. 

So while I don't imagine for a second they're my friends, I'm glad they exist and I don't have to do it.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Yes, and hugely at risk and under stress these days because of understaffing.

I actually got to recognise the name of this PCSO in Saltash, Kirsty Down, because there was a spate of really bad accidents on that part of the A38 over ?18 months, several times with children dead or seriously injured, and she was the first responder being interviewed pretty much every time.

I wasn't surprised that she quit.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/popular-tweeting-saltash-pcso-kirsty-365845

I get the impression that some of the big city forces contain a lot of wasters because you can hide but with existing staffing levels there's no hiding in rural areas.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Got shouted down for saying something similar on ToS.

Pointed out theat the average sick leave for a Nurse at a friends hospital is 35 days/y.

That 7 weeks off. A year.

Then when you look at the sick leave for people taking off more than 10 day/y, the actual average goes up to ~45/50d/y.

Most people dont take the piss. However they have a core ~30% who think paid sick days allowances is like annual leave.

Chronic. Just not comparable inthe private sector.

I think UK public sector need to set a maximum of 5 x 15 sick days in a 5 year period.

Crazy figures. 

I've had 3 weeks off in 42 years, since starting work. That's two incidents, of one week in 1989, and a fortnight in 2011.

1 minute ago, Uptherebels said:

Crazy figures. 

I've had 3 weeks off in 42 years, since starting work. That's two incidents, of one week in 1989, and a fortnight in 2011.

I'm probably four weeks in thirty years.  Mostly flu and a single sickie back in 1990 where I had seriously underestimated the strength of the beer I was drinking (Courage Directors, not my usual) and, rather than being hungover, I was still drunk in the morning.  Got off the bed, fell back onto it.  Phoned in sick.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Pointed out theat the average sick leave for a Nurse at a friends hospital is 35 days/y.

Then when you look at the sick leave for people taking off more than 10 day/y, the actual average goes up to ~45/50d/y.

Most people dont take the piss. However they have a core ~30% who think paid sick days allowances is like annual leave.

I had to attend our annual health and safety update today.  Mr safety went through the figures and the sick days for the public sector (mainly stress) were chronic as you say and way, way higher than the private sector.

Just now, ILikeCake said:

I had to attend our annual health and safety update today.  Mr safety went through the figures and the sick days for the public sector (mainly stress) were chronic as you say and way, way higher than the private sector.

Humans are what they are. If they can't be sacked, some will take the piss, and others will see this and participate at least partially. It's stupid to have anyone who is unsackable, the unions should never have gone that far with workers's rights because it's not actually in their interests. 

4 hours ago, gibbon said:

She might be being singled out unfairly, mate of mine has been good mates with a copper for yonks (i wouldn't talk to one let alone be mates). He has a year off from the police farce "on the sick" to go travelling every 2-3 years routinely. I expect it's quite common.

One of my neighbours was a copper (now retired at 50 ish).  He was a dog handler responsible for training puppies so not exactly taxing.  He spent the last 12 months before his retirement on the sick with stress which is also common practice apparently. During this time he went on several holidays including a sky diving holiday to Spain.

14 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

One of my neighbours was a copper (now retired at 50 ish).  He was a dog handler responsible for training puppies so not exactly taxing.  He spent the last 12 months before his retirement on the sick with stress which is also common practice apparently. During this time he went on several holidays including a sky diving holiday to Spain.

In any public sector job attendance in the six months before retirement is entirely voluntary, because the process required to prove that you're a malingerer - and sack you -takes longer than six months and is in any case a massive pain in the arse for your management, who can just wait until you're gone through retirement.

What's amazing isn't how many do it, but how many keep working.

xD

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Anyone shouting that down knows less than the square root of fuck all about how the NHS actually operates and the levels of piss-taking that occurs within.

6 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Maybe we ought to start replacing our Police Farce with EE'ers. I doubt there'd be an uproar from the public about that...

This would be the plan if we stay in the EU. An EU army with foreign troops on our soil. Same with police. Don't want any local connections.

7 minutes ago, the gardener said:

This would be the plan if we stay in the EU. An EU army with foreign troops on our soil. Same with police. Don't want any local connections.

Yes, I think an armed EU police force (like the FBI in the USA) is quite a possibility, particularly as problems with migrants (and the 'far right' who dare question the EU) increase.

3 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I worked with someone that took months off with stress every few years. IMHO, anyone that takes time off with stress should be demoted.... They clearly can't function at the level they've been promoted to.

Would be interesting to see the sick rate in profession with actual stress like say the army, where in a war zone you've got the risk of being shot, blown up and maimed vs the police farce where you spend most the time in the station policing mean words on twitter.

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

I wouldn't be a copper for all the tea in China. Dealing with the dregs and the corrupt and the broken, day in day out. 

And that's just their co-workers

Thanks @gibbon . I think that 'Crimebodge' YT channel is another strong contender for me to subscribe to. :) As if i haven't already subbed to enough YT channels.

This is a good one...I wonder if it will ever be used in an airing of Channel 5's 'Police Interceptors'? Or will it not paint the police force in such a good light?

The copper gets the tables well and truely turned on him! xDxDxD

Edited by UmBongo

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm probably four weeks in thirty years.  Mostly flu and a single sickie back in 1990 where I had seriously underestimated the strength of the beer I was drinking (Courage Directors, not my usual) and, rather than being hungover, I was still drunk in the morning.  Got off the bed, fell back onto it.  Phoned in sick.

If it's a Willy waving contest, I have had one day sick in my life. They did manage to remove my appendix, so it wasn't exactly time wasted.

I will confess to having a few days that I was operating under par.

1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

Thanks @gibbon . I think that 'Crimebodge' YT channel is another strong contender for me to subscribe to. :) As if i haven't already subbed to enough YT channels.

These are great! It's like picking a scab. xD

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

If it's a Willy waving contest, I have had one day sick in my life. They did manage to remove my appendix, so it wasn't exactly time wasted.

I will confess to having a few days that I was operating under par.

I usually aim for approx. 10 days sick per annum. If I don't actually fall sick then I make up the difference with sickies/duvet days. If you don't use 'em you lose 'em.

This last year I've not hit my target since I've been working at home virtually all year and thus not actually being  required to drag my carcass into the office means that I don't need to take many duvet days. Combined with the prodigious number of days annual leave, bank holidays, Friday afternoons off plus an extra day off per fortnight I really find it difficult to actually pull a sickie.  My working days are often indistinguishable from my non-working days, so much so that I haven't even bothered to buy extra annual leave this year, in fact I didn't use it all last year, having 3 days to use before the end of June.

I love my job. 😀 It's very much like Peter's job in Office Space.

2 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I usually aim for approx. 10 days sick per annum. If I don't actually fall sick then I make up the difference with sickies/duvet days. If you don't use 'em you lose 'em.

This last year I've not hit my target since I've been working at home virtually all year and thus not actually being  required to drag my carcass into the office means that I don't need to take many duvet days. Combined with the prodigious number of days annual leave, bank holidays, Friday afternoons off plus an extra day off per fortnight I really find it difficult to actually pull a sickie.  My working days are often indistinguishable from my non-working days, so much so that I haven't even bothered to buy extra annual leave this year, in fact I didn't use it all last year, having 3 days to use before the end of June.

And dosbodders have a go at me for perceiving I have it cushy. o.O

3 minutes ago, the gardener said:

And we wonder why uk productivity is shite?

But fair play, that is pretty much how everyone seems to work nowadays so I don't blame you.

7 hours ago, the gardener said:

Are you a Nurse or NHS manager?

7 hours ago, the gardener said:

Are there any vacancies where you work?