• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Come back knockoutjohhny!

I'm half thinking of getting a vintage Rolex. Does anyone know how accurate/ reliable they are? I think knockoutjohhny would know but he seems to have buggered off :(

I'm thinking of something like this, a 1958 Rolex Oyster. If it was going to be reasonably accurate I would get one. However I bought a fancy Atmos clock from the same era and it's rubbish....

I have to admit I prefer the understated style of this Rolex compared to the "look at me everyone, I've got a Rolex and I'm a car salesman" style of the modern Rolex.

image.png

I always had a bit of a thing for the Wavemaster (like the Submariner but a bit less in your face without the cyclops eye), but I worked with a bloke once who owned one, and he said it was the worst watch he ever had. Constantly gaining or losing time and returned from multiple services / repairs in no better state than it went in. The bloke was a bit of a bullshitter so I didn't really know what to make of it, but it put me off shelling out the several grand I'd have to have spent to own one.

By contrast my kinetic Seiko cost me £170 over 10 years ago and it doesn't miss a second. Bloody thing is incredible.

Mechanical watches aren't that accurate. Still that's not the point. If they are marked as "chronometer" they have passed certain tests at the factory, to be certified. Not sure when this came in. A modern Rolex usually is certified as a "chronometer", but if you actually used it as one, for navigation you would miss the British Virgin Isles by miles, and all the British Virgins.:o

I've always fancied a Breitling. I'm never going to spend that much on a watch though! 

There are sites offering fake ones. Are these sites just a scam? As in, you pay the money and just never get the watch? 

I had a fake Tag Heuer from Bali back in the 80s that I had to stop wearing as, whilst it looked really cool, it raised blisters on my wrist.

I also have a non-valuable (£600) 1930s Rolex which keeps time to within a couple of seconds a day.

50 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I always had a bit of a thing for the Wavemaster (like the Submariner but a bit less in your face without the cyclops eye), but I worked with a bloke once who owned one, and he said it was the worst watch he ever had. Constantly gaining or losing time and returned from multiple services / repairs in no better state than it went in. The bloke was a bit of a bullshitter so I didn't really know what to make of it, but it put me off shelling out the several grand I'd have to have spent to own one.

By contrast my kinetic Seiko cost me £170 over 10 years ago and it doesn't miss a second. Bloody thing is incredible.

I have to admit I have an automatic Seiko 5 (it winds itself up when you move your arm). It cost £70 and is accurate to within a minute a month or something. Tbh, I just find it awesome that a cheap mechanical watch can be so good. I bet it's better than a top Rolex of thirty years ago.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I also have a non-valuable (£600) 1930s Rolex which keeps time to within a couple of seconds a day.

Any chance of a pic? Where did you get it from? 

It's amazing how mechanical watches are still there. I can get the time from the phone or GPS. After all I don't have a mangle, or betamax video recorder any more. Watches are not needed, though few are without one. I don't have a Rolex like Frank, as I don't avoid enough taxes.

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

My dad got me a Seiko 5 recently. Nice watch. 

I bought my dad a mechanical Seiko years ago when he helped me with some DIY. I knew he wouldn't be arsed with batteries.

8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I have to admit I have an automatic Seiko 5 (it winds itself up when you move your arm). It cost £70 and is accurate to within a minute a month or something. Tbh, I just find it awesome that a cheap mechanical watch can be so good. I bet it's better than a top Rolex of thirty years ago.

Any chance of a pic? Where did you get it from? 

This one.

H0533-L121031263.jpg

Not mine but the same, and similar condition.  I had to pay out to have a part made privately to get it working despite the Rolex claims about being always able to fix them.

My grandad's watch on my dad's side and I also have my grandad's watch on my mum's side which is more valuable.

I don't quite know how I ended up with both as combined there are about twenty grandchildren and I'm not acquisitive but somehow I do.  I have just been reminded how very pleased I am about that.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I'm half thinking of getting a vintage Rolex. Does anyone know how accurate/ reliable they are? I think knockoutjohhny would know but he seems to have buggered off :(

I'm thinking of something like this, a 1958 Rolex Oyster. If it was going to be reasonably accurate I would get one. However I bought a fancy Atmos clock from the same era and it's rubbish....

I have to admit I prefer the understated style of this Rolex compared to the "look at me everyone, I've got a Rolex and I'm a car salesman" style of the modern Rolex.

image.png

The modern Rolex is a foul beast. The one above on the other hand is beautiful - it doesn't matter if it's not 100% accurate.

Johnny sent me a PM saying that he'd love to start posting again but he's far too busy with his gelato business. 

:o

36 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

I've always fancied a Breitling. I'm never going to spend that much on a watch though! 

There are sites offering fake ones. Are these sites just a scam? As in, you pay the money and just never get the watch? 

I've got a Breitling Avenger. You can get used ones for quite reasonable prices,  well by Swiss watch standards anyway... IWC are really understated if that's your thing too. 

Personally i find rolex to be slightly gaudy but each to their own! (The modern ones that is). Especially the rose gold ones.

I used to own a Soviet era Sekonda jewel lever watch which I loved with a passion that passed all understanding. I was depressed for weeks after it gave up the ghost  and I have never had a watch to match it . Needless to say modern Sekondas are no longer manufactured by Stakhanovite heros of the USSR but churned out in Hong Kong. Presumably if I still had by old Russian  watch Treason May would have me arrested as a threat to national security.

The Sekonda 3017 military chronographs under their Russian Poljot or Strela brand name used to be standard issue to Soviet cosmonauts including Alexi Leonov who was the first man to make a 'space walk' in 1965.

Edited by Virgil Caine

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I'd completely sack off Rolex and get a quality watch you don't need to worry to much about when wearing.

May I recommend Nite Watches of Christchurch.

Nite Watches is an independent British watch company that uses, quality swiss quartz Ronda movements, British design and un-rivalled and self-powered tritium illumination technology.

https://www.nitewatches.com/gb/

I would think the Marquess would be to your understated style of elegance, reliability and practicality.

https://www.nitewatches.com/store/gb/marquess/

They have just launched an automatic as well, but I destroy them due to overwinding them when moubtain biking.

I have an Icon model and it is bulletproof and ultra reliable to about 2 or 3 seconds a month mine indulges in sport and mountain biking and takes knock without damage plus I can read it in complete darkness without a torch.

The big plus is if I trash it I won't cry too much and will treat myself to another cos for around £325 they are awesome.

5ad7aa57883a7_Screenshotfrom2018-04-18212706.thumb.png.2979ff650f9d7d0765158c77781dc1ac.png

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

image.png

You could be in luck. This is my grandfathers Rolex Oyster Perpetual 1958 with the arrow head dial that knockoutjohnny pointed out was a nice rare touch. I’ve literally just had it serviced, cleaned and a replacement part within the movement fitted. They phoned me today to say it was ready for collection. I also had another call today from Goldsmiths to say they’ve managed to source the Rolex I wanted (Air King) and I really can’t justify owning two. So...  

7BEEE6FB-472E-44B2-AD90-D77B8A6CAE19.jpeg

5E802384-1797-4741-99F3-C5A9074ABAEA.jpeg

Edited by longtomsilver

2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

You could be in luck. This is my grandfathers Rolex Oyster Perpetual 1958 with the arrow head dial that knockoutjohnny pointed out was a nice rare touch. I’ve literally just had it serviced, cleaned and a replacement part (movement) fitted. They phoned me today to say it was ready for collection. I also had another call today from Goldsmiths to say they’ve managed to source the Rolex I wanted (Air King) and I really can’t justify owning two. So...  

7BEEE6FB-472E-44B2-AD90-D77B8A6CAE19.jpeg

5E802384-1797-4741-99F3-C5A9074ABAEA.jpeg

Small world!

It does look an amazing watch but my heart is set on a leather strap....

How accurate is your grandfather's watch? How often do you get it serviced and how much does it cost for a service?

4 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

I've got a Seiko 5. Lovely watch, but gains about 30 seconds a day.

That's three people here with Seiko 5's... 

Do you wear it all the time? I've heard they are more accurate if you do.

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Small world!

It does look an amazing watch but my heart is set on a leather strap....

How accurate is your grandfather's watch? How often do you get it serviced and how much does it cost for a service?

The watch hadn’t been serviced since 2001 and kept time for the few days that I wore it before sending it off. If it was gaining/losing time the difference was imperceptible. Okay the service, for the value I couldn’t justify a proper Rolex service so went with a reputable guy in the Midlands £140 for the service but the part (something to do with the winder) was £210. 

Edited by longtomsilver

2 minutes ago, Byron said:

I have a Casio F-91W

With a rubber strap.

Seems to be absolutely accurate over 12 months

I had one as well... 

Seemingly the CIA consider it an indicator that the wearer is Al Queda...

Having watched Posh Pawn I was surprised to learn that Rolex seem to really hold their value because a lot of people that don't really know much about watches believe Rolex are the best watches and really hold their value.

Whereas the Spoons watch geek is quite dismissive of various brands movements but loves IWC.

One of the Spoons bourgeoisie works for some very wealthy families, he says they always look at each other's watches and shoes, the nouveau riche will sport bling whereas the old money often wear decades old slim watches with gold cases and leather straps. Longines, Bulova Acutron, even Timex.

The rapper mentality with diamonds, gemstones, precious metals, how do you know how much to spend to impress. Hublot 10th Anniversary Big Bang watch costs $10m. Does they hold value ? No idea.  Bernie Ecclestone lost his mere $200k Hublot when mugged but then promoted the brand with his black eyes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336679/F1-boss-Bernie-Ecclestone-battered-face-new-ad-200k-Hublot-watch.html

I didn't realise quartz watches suffer crystal death which can be uneconomic to repair ? Which if true partly explains the logic of buying mechanical or kinetic watches. A mechanical watch could last centuries, imagine how much that would cost in servicing over time.

Image result for hublot big bang black diamond 10th anniversary

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

image.png

The problem with vintage Watches is that they are mostly 34mm which is more of a Woman's size nowadays.