• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
whitevanman

World's most admired people

I'm afraid I'm not on that list, but you could still admire me. I'm admirable if not a real admiral.

Actually my non-de-plume (horrible French word), is Albert Neville Gristler, using which I got a totally spoof article published in a usually reliably trade magazine (not Viz).

OK Confession time. I looked at the list and without Googling I have no clue who the following are :-

Jack Ma

Amitabh Bachchan

Andy Lau

Malala Yousafzai

Aiswarya Rai

Numbers 12-19 on the women's side apart trom Treason May.

Out of touch, me?o.O

Edit :- and most are not really to be admired at all IMO. I have a sneaking admiration for Elon Musk even if he's probably an unbearable tosser in person.

Edited by swissy_fit

2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

OK Confession time. I looked at the list and without Googling I have no clue who the following are :-

Jack Ma

Amitabh Bachchan

Andy Lau

Malala Yousafzai

Aiswarya Rai

Out of touch, me?o.O

Jack Ma is a Chinese knock off of Jeff Bezos. His company alibaba is the Amazon of East Asia.

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

Jack Ma is a Chinese knock off of Jeff Bezos. His company alibaba is the Amazon of East Asia.

Thank you citizen. We are at war with East Asia. We always have been. Stand in front of the television, and take your clothes off.

Don't be silly, we've never been at war with East asia.

At least we know Big Brother couldn't be watching as there simply isn't any way to transfer all that data back from a camera in each room. Until .Gov mandates compulsory fibre connections for all.

14 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Jack Ma

Amitabh Bachchan

Andy Lau

Malala Yousafzai

Aiswarya Rai

Out of touch, me?o.O

Edit :- and most are not really to be admired at all IMO. I have a sneaking admiration for Elon Musk even if he's probably an unbearable tosser in person.

I think Malala Yousafzai was that Pakistani girl that got shot in the head and sent to Birmingham as punishment for being a bit uppity. 

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

I am somewhat deflated that I have only ever met one person on that list.

I need to get out more.

Famous people like you that met somebody famous once should not be on the internet. YOu will be visited by pepperonis which killed lady Diana.

This year, the study expanded to cover the views of people in 35 countries – the most ever – and means that YouGov interviewed more than 37,000 people to compile the list.

It's a laugh isn't it. 

37,000 out of how many billions of people.

Hysterical that Treason May got 15th place in the women's event but at least no other British politicians rate a mention.  In the mens' event Vladimir Putin being 6th with Trump being 17th ( just below the Pope) is also a bit of a laugh seeing as Putin is supposed to be evil incarnate.

Who are half the people - you can't tell me that all 37,000 had heard of them all let alone admired them. Were they told to choose from the pre-prepared list of 20 men and 20 women or were they free to choose anyone.

What about the dinner ladies.  No admiration there.

If it hadn't been for Bill Gates who is more a businesses man it looks as if technology isn't rated anywhere around the world these days.  No admiration there either. 

Edited by twocents

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Im not on the list. Im glad.

I bet everyone who came behind Karen Brady wish they weren't too.

She's not actually on the list is she? xD Tell me it's not so

That list is just silly, but the start point is fairly daft.  What is an "admired" person?

I admire the guitar playing skills of Eddie Van Halen, I admire the football skills of Gareth Bale.

And that seems to be the same level of discrimination as that list: name fifteen men and fifteen women that have done something you quite like.

As a starting point you would be better with something like "most influential person", not admired.  Admired means you vote for someone who played Wonder Woman because you enjoyed the film.  As a lot clearly did.

If that's Yougov's homework then they would have been better off saying that the dog had eaten it.

59 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That list is just silly, but the start point is fairly daft.  What is an "admired" person?

I admire the guitar playing skills of Eddie Van Halen, I admire the football skills of Gareth Bale.

And that seems to be the same level of discrimination as that list: name fifteen men and fifteen women that have done something you quite like.

As a starting point you would be better with something like "most influential person", not admired.  Admired means you vote for someone who played Wonder Woman because you enjoyed the film.  As a lot clearly did.

If that's Yougov's homework then they would have been better off saying that the dog had eaten it.

Even by your wider set of standards, what has Barack Obama actually done?