• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Southmartin

Coffee help

Advice please. Am thinking of taking up drinking coffee, as I can t help feeling knackered most of the day and I’d like that to stop. Problem is, that although I like the aroma, I don’t like the taste.... though I’ll admit that’s a preference I gained many years ago from accidentally drinking instant Nescafé and having a coffee liquor

So what type of proper (filter?) coffee would the four UK recommend to get me into it?

5 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Advice please. Am thinking of taking up drinking coffee, as I can t help feeling knackered most of the day and I’d like that to stop. Problem is, that although I like the aroma, I don’t like the taste.... though I’ll admit that’s a preference I gained many years ago from accidentally drinking instant Nescafé and having a coffee liquor

So what type of proper (filter?) coffee would the four UK recommend to get me into it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/XG1CiGSCTzqb05nDwIhhjg

You'll get bonus SJW points.

If you're feeling knackered the last thing I'd advise is taking up coffee drinking.

But if you're going to go for it anyway,  I think the brewing mechanism is the most important thing to look at first. For filters I'd suggest looking at the Hario V60, the Kalita Wave and the Chemex, depending on how dirty or clean you like your coffee (they're all clean compared to a cafetiere but to different degrees). If you like the aroma but not the mouth feel, you might be better going toward the cleaner end of that scale, the Chemex. For me, the Hario is perfect - clean and bright but still with reasonably good body.

Once you've sorted that you need to choose whether to buy your coffee preground or whether to buy a decent grinder and experiment yourself. It might sound like overkill, but tiny adjustments in grind size can make a massive difference to the taste in the cup.

And lastly, you need to choose the coffee. For that, but lots, try it, buy more of what you like.

11 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

All you need to know, from the dosbods massive. :)

im after one of these but can’t justify the price 

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/coffee-machines/view-all-coffee-machines/sage-by-heston-blumenthal/_/N-afuZ1z13rxa?s_kwcid=1dx43700012682564875&tmad=c&tmcampid=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpLLqo-HJ2gIVArgbCh1WhAWPEAAYAiAAEgKqAPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I love coffee, drink a few cups of strong black a day and don’t feel knackered.

If I felt knackered I personally wouldn’t think about coffee to address that.

I would be looking at working towards changing my diet, lifestyle and exercise to address knackered feelings!

21 minutes ago, One percent said:

Think they were on sale on AO.com last week. Had a big sale of coffee machines.

41 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Two questions:-

1) What is your work environment

2) What do you eat for lunch

I am also assuming that you are well under 40.

There are very few Dosboders under 40  you're all old !! :Old: 

So what's wrong with Nescafe?

I drink Nescafe Gold a lot - 2 teaspoons in a large mug, with quite a lot of milk, but no sugar. I don't actually like 'real' coffee. (So I usually refuse to drink that.)

I used to pretend (a lot) that I liked 'real' coffee (not to embarrass myself) until I reached a certain age when I decided to be honest with myself and not to bother with what other ppl think about me. Since then Nescafe Gold is my go-to coffee drink. (Never like coffee when out. Prefer to have tea if forced to drink something hot when out.)

For when I want to limit my caffeine intake, I also like/drink a pure chiccory 'coffee". (French brand.) I have 5 teaspoons of the fine powder (looks like coffee) in a large mug with a good dollop of milk. (Yummy.)  

Btw, read (very recently) that coffee drinking is good for the heart now! (So there's a good reason to start?!)

17 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

xD

I wonder why you bother to put up with us. I hope you will continue to do so though because I love this forum!

1 hour ago, Southmartin said:

Coffee isn’t a solution for being tired. I think DT and I are the champion coffee ponces on here, see the coffee machine thread mentioned earlier, but it’s for the taste and a short-lived rush, it won’t solve general tiredness and might even make things worse by affecting your sleep.

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

I quite like  Lavazza Rossa, I buy the beans and use a little electronic grinder. Not too expensive and a nice rounded flavour.

Been drinking Lavazza for 35 years now and can’t fault it.

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

True, at least according to this poll taken last September :

I wonder if any of the more recent dosbodians are younger.

I'm only just over 40 anyway!

Oh, and I think coffee is really shit when compared to tea, but then I love tea.

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding last paragraph

5 hours ago, whocares said:

So what's wrong with Nescafe?

I drink Nescafe Gold a lot - 2 teaspoons in a large mug, with quite a lot of milk, but no sugar. I don't actually like 'real' coffee. (So I usually refuse to drink that.)

I used to pretend (a lot) that I liked 'real' coffee (not to embarrass myself) until I reached a certain age when I decided to be honest with myself and not to bother with what other ppl think about me. Since then Nescafe Gold is my go-to coffee drink. (Never like coffee when out. Prefer to have tea if forced to drink something hot when out.)

For when I want to limit my caffeine intake, I also like/drink a pure chiccory 'coffee". (French brand.) I have 5 teaspoons of the fine powder (looks like coffee) in a large mug with a good dollop of milk. (Yummy.)  

Btw, read (very recently) that coffee drinking is good for the heart now! (So there's a good reason to start?!)

I’m a Mellow Birds kind of girl. I find coffee like wine, a bit overrated but I’ve recently discovered L’or instant and I quite like that. Black with a big one.

Occassionaly I’ll buy some Barley Cup as a good alternative.

Gave up drinking coffee a few years ago when I found that I had 'coffee' withdrawal symptoms if I didn't drink any.

But then again, I don't actually like 'drinking' anything that much.

I don't drink much coffee (I prefer tea, or sometimes just hot water (the high-calorie version of water)), but I know several people who are massively into coffee, so it will be a bit cathartic to let some of that forceably acquired information leak back out (probably in garbled form).

10 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

It might sound like overkill, but tiny adjustments in grind size can make a massive difference to the taste in the cup.

^This is absolutely correct. Coffee brewing is a bit of a knife-edge, because of the way machines (and even drip filters) are designed. It's much cheaper to build them so that water is forced through the coffee under a particular pressure, rather than having a fixed flow rate. When you grind the coffee more finely, it means water flows through more slowly, and the extraction is quicker, so it's really easy to get over-extracted coffee (full of unpleasant aromas) if you grind too small; or under extracted (weak) if you grind too big. You mainly check the quality of your espresso by timing how long it takes to brew.

3 hours ago, Battenberg said:

I’m a Mellow Birds kind of girl. I find coffee like wine, a bit overrated but I’ve recently discovered L’or instant and I quite like that. Black with a big one.

There's nothing to say that instant (freeze-dried) coffee can't be high quality. The reason it isn't is that people don't expect it, so the manufacturers use robusta beans (which are cheaper); and low quality grades of those. They also extract the hell out of them, so that they get the most possible coffee for their money. Instant coffee cannot, legally, have any additives: it's just what you managed to dissolve out of the beans, dried; so the manufacturers want to get out the maximum possible mass. Because of that, there's quite a lot of headroom to make higher quality instant coffees, and I think L'or is probably at the higher end of what you can buy in a supermarket. I understand Kenco also makes something called Milicano, which is somewhere between instant and turkish coffee, if you want the convenience of instant but more flavour from the beans.

6 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Oh, and I think coffee is really shit when compared to tea, but then I love tea.

Yes, tea is great. I have no idea where to get really aromatic, black teas, though. I've had the best black tea when visiting India; although I was once given a box of "House of Commons" tea bags which were very good too.

Green tea is a whole other kettle of fish (sometimes literally). I've tried green teas which taste like chocolate, like pork sausages or like fish. I think the leaves have a lot of glutamate (as do tomatoes), so if they roast the leaves briefly in a pan, it can lead to some odd, savoury flavours.

Edited by BurntBread
more semicolons

30 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

I Because of that, there's quite a lot of headroom to make higher quality instant coffees, and I think L'or is probably at the higher end of what you can buy in a supermarket. I understand Kenco also makes something called Milicano, which is somewhere between instant and turkish coffee, if you want the convenience of instant but more flavour from the beans.

Yes, tea is great. I have no idea where to get really aromatic, black teas, though. I've had the best black tea when visiting India; although I was once given a box of "House of Commons" tea bags which were very good too.

Green tea is a whole other kettle of fish (sometimes literally). I've tried green teas which taste like chocolate, like pork sausages or like fish. I think the leaves have a lot of glutamate (as do tomatoes), so if they roast the leaves briefly in a pan, it can lead to some odd, savoury flavours.

Yes

Why would you expect otherwise ?

If you don’t like the taste particularly then why not take pro-plus or red bull to see if you like the effect?

Be careful not to take drink towards the end of the day or you won’t sleep.

The next step is like the city boys on cocaine...  but really you’d do better to address the underlying issues if possible.  Other milder morning pick-me-ups include apples or tea.    Coffee and other stimulants really only offer a temporary buzz and probably don’t really improve your overall daily performance 🙂

10 hours ago, Southmartin said:

How long has this been going on and is there an obvious cause? Any other symptoms (even ones that seen unrelated)? If you've got no idea why you're tired then go to the GP, you want your B12, folate, iron, vitamin D, TSH, T4, fasting glucose and coeliac antibodies tested at a minimum.

What do you eat in an average day? How much exercise do you get?

Add me to those who, whilst liking the ritual and paraphernalia of filter coffee, finds it too harsh and bitter.  I also find Nescafé too harsh.

I always drink a gold blend type, usually the Lidl one, which I genuinely enjoy.

I'd have thought being unused to coffee then going straight for filter is like a non-swimmer jumping into the deep end and then deciding they don't like swimming.