• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Chess: the latest wheeze for ducking immigration rules

Recommended Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5641385/Child-chess-prodigy-fighting-stay-Britain-dads-work-visa-expires.html

The family of a nine-year-old chess prodigy is fighting to stay in Britain so he can continue his quest to become the country's first world champion.

Shreyas Royal has only played chess for four years but is already belting teenagers a decade older than him and considered the best prospect of his generation.

The youngster has lived in the UK since he was three but faces being sent back to India when his father Jitendra Singh's work visa expires in September.

Mr Singh, 38, and IT manager for Tata motors, and his wife Anju are fighting for indefinite leave to remain on the grounds that their son is a national asset.



Dear god. Perhaps if he were the next hawkin but a chess player?  Ffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Know many dim chess champions? (Disclosure, I play a decent game still though I was a lot better as a kid)

I have zero, and I mean zero problems with IT managers and their chess champion children wanting to immigrate to the UK. They’ll work and have something to bring to the table.  It’s the no-education Uber drivers and African migrants we don’t need. 

The very best are just good at chess; their brains a storing house of past games and scenarios; useless for anything else.

Yes you have to be intelligent to be able to do that but to use that intelligence to spend your life just playing top level chess is a collossal waste.

The idea that somebody being great at chess makes them great at real world planning (as in the book of From Russia with Love) is nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Very unlikely from that background IMO. You never know, but that applies to everyone.

The issue for me is that immigration is rampant. Excuses, excuses as to why someone is a special case. 

We need a hundred percent stop on it all for at least two years. In the meantime we need to take a long hard look at it, come up with some clear rules (draft spy to develop them) and then apply them. No special cases for anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go, Nigel Short being the only British chess champion who I can name.

You do not have some multi-talented polymath here.  It is only chess; which is very much a minority game and only ever achieved prominence as part of the cold war propaganda battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Short

Other than Nigel Short I can only name Fischer, Spassky, Karpov and Kasparov.  All of whom had their peak fame thirty or forty years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Eugene Stoner said:

Tbh, if he stays in the UK and becomes the best chess player in the world it still wouldn't make him "British" in the eyes of the world...  He was born in India in an Indian family.... I could stick a "Ferrari" badge on my Fiesta but it doesn't mean I have a Ferrari.

His dad's an IT manager for TATA? We all know that means TATA shipped him in as he's paid peanuts...

Deport him.

Welcome to dosbods.

No need to tiptoe about with your first post :Beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this some sort of weird racist colonial-think prank?

Why on earth should the UK steal this talent?  Why do we consider the needs of India to be trodden into the dirt, so that the old colonial power gets the riches?

I'm ashamed to say that this sort of entitled-racism is prevalent in this country.  India has needs too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If they're legally entitled to stay and they want to stay then they should be allowed to stay.  If not they should go even if the kid is a good chess player.  Who knows he or they might qualify some time in future and they could apply again. 

The rules shouldn't be broken in this way - just to apparently stroke the egos of some chess team.  The rules shouldn't be twisted.  

That applies to all of the immigrants.

From the sporting/chess angle we've already found out that the claims that overseas people are better footballers on average than indigenous English footballers is a fallacy considering the lack of success of the England football team for more than half a century since England last won the World Cup in 1966.  Of course the So-Called BBC commentators are already suggesting that England could win this year's one In Russia.   I dare say the same would apply to chess.

Incidentally purchasing power in India isn't that far off the UK's now compared to what it used to be.

Edited by twocents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When the British were nasty racist facists we had the empire and took whatever we wanted from the colonies for the benefit of the UK. Today the lovely enlightened gender-non binary SJWs lefty soclialists want to take whatever we want from the ex-colonies for the benefit of the UK ... Not limited to chess players ... doctors, nurse, engineers, lawyers, builders, plumbers etc who have been trained up in their third world countries, using precious limited resourses, are free to come and provide benefit to the UK rather than their own countries  who need their skills far more than we do. Part of the mass immigration story that the media do not really want to address; we used to just steal their raw materials now we steal their brightest and best but this is OK apparently.

Edited by satch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hmmm... Whiff of bullshit here.

If he really is an IT manager for TATA and working for them in the UK they'll be looking after all of his immigration stuff.

So if they're sending him home, or his posting has finished for whatever reason then if he stays in the UK he's going to be unemployed. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, One percent said:

The issue for me is that immigration is rampant. Excuses, excuses as to why someone is a special case. 

We need a hundred percent stop on it all for at least two years. In the meantime we need to take a long hard look at it, come up with some clear rules (draft spy to develop them) and then apply them. No special cases for anyone. 

I don't agree that that you should stop anything 100 per cent. There need to be allowances made for discretion to be exercised when exceptional circumstances arise. The problem as ever is finding anyone with the common sense to know when discretion should be exercised. There will always be special cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Special cases? All the sob stories of 6 foot 6 'fifteen year olds' photographed in XXXL school uniform over the years have hardened me. Fuck them all.

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I don't agree that that you should stop anything 100 per cent. There need to be allowances made for discretion to be exercised when exceptional circumstances arise. The problem as ever is finding anyone with the common sense to know when discretion should be exercised. There will always be special cases.

I’m not saying to stop it for ever but the whole thing is so far beyond madness that we need to pause and take a breath. Stop it for a couple of years, even just a year so no one is trying to get in under the current (non) rules. 

Then really plan it out.  Properly. Then, implement the new rules and begin again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Panther said:

Special cases? All the sob stories of 6 foot 6 'fifteen year olds' photographed in XXXL school uniform over the years have hardened me. Fuck them all.

They aren't special cases they're the media muddying the waters. TBH I can think of certain instances over recent years, like the woman born to an American serviceman who married an English woman after WWII who has lived here all her life and yet never obtained UK nationality who our illustrious border service want to deport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, satch said:

When the British were nasty racist facists we had the empire and took whatever we wanted from the colonies for the benefit of the UK. Today the lovely enlightened gender-non binary SJWs lefty soclialists want to take whatever we want from the ex-colonies for the benefit of the UK ... Not limited to chess players ... doctors, nurse, engineers, lawyers, builders, plumbers etc who have been trained up in their third world countries, using precious limited resourses, are free to come and provide benefit to the UK rather than their own countries  who need their skills far more than we do. Part of the mass immigration story that the media do not really want to address; we used to just steal their raw materials now we steal their brightest and best but this is OK apparently.

But we don’t. That would be selfish as you say but would at least make sense for the country. We make it as difficult as possible for the trained ones and fill the council properties with the types that were in Grenfell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By One percent
      Setting aside the fact that the person is Nigerian (can a foreigner stand as an MP?), the lib dems appear to have picked a rather odd character as their candidate here.
      the lib dems say of their candidate "He believes that politics should be about providing opportunities for people, how to unite and how to raise the standard of living for everyone and not just a few".  Well he's certainly providing opportunities for himself.  More at the link
      http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/15274579.Lib_Dem__39_s_candidate_apologises_for_publishing_outdated_career_profile/#comments-anchor
      what a fucking shower  
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.