• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Commonwealth. Good or evil?

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I happen to think it could become very important in the future. 

Does anyone know if there are any commonwealth countries that follow Islamic law?

Pakistan and Nigeria at least in part. Probably Bangladesh & Malaysia too.

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

Yes, you are right on Pakistan. Is that a legacy from the split, and are they likely to remain members?

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yes, you are right on Pakistan. Is that a legacy from the split, and are they likely to remain members?

Likely yes to both - I'm no expert though. From what I recall, the partition of India was driven primarily by religious hatred between Hindus and Muslims. Actually, on the second point, I've just remembered that they got suspended from the Commonwealth once so, if they go full blown theocracy at some point, as well as having nukes and being in a position to bring about the end of days, they might also get chucked out again (not that it will matter much).

The reason I bring this up is the msm seem hell bent on destroying any kind of goodwill towards the commonwealth. Nigel covered it on LBC this morning and for once I actually felt uplifted and hopeful.

Is this meme because a successful commonwealth is a foil to the Brexit argument or some other reason?

There are rumours of the formation of an Islamic commonwealth. That doesn't sound like it would be good for the rest of us.

The other thing I am not getting is the hatred being levied at Charles becoming head. He is probably the least worst option as the one thing we can say about him is that there is no way he can be corrupted, which must be a good thing for what is currently a powerless figurehead position.

The other thing about Charles is that he is very concerned about the environment. Having someone with that view holding influence over 1/3 of the world's population and 1/4 of the land mass should surely have been celebrated by those that are complaining about his election the most.

40 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

There are rumours of the formation of an Islamic commonwealth. That doesn't sound like it would be good for the rest of us.

I don't think it would be good for the citizens of such a thing as most of these countries are glorified thiefdoms with KSA at the top of the pile.

The reason I bring this up is the msm seem hell bent on destroying any kind of goodwill towards the commonwealth. Nigel covered it on LBC this morning and for once I actually felt uplifted and hopeful.

Is this meme because a successful commonwealth is a foil to the Brexit argument or some other reason?

The other thing I am not getting is the hatred being levied at Charles becoming head. He is probably the least worst option as the one thing we can say about him is that there is no way he can be corrupted, which must be a good thing for what is currently a powerless figurehead position.

The other thing about Charles is that he is very concerned about the environment. Having someone with that view holding influence over 1/3 of the world's population and 1/4 of the land mass should surely have been celebrated by those that are complaining about his election the most.

The left hate the Commonwealth because it’s a constant reminder of the British Empire and the fact that the ex-colonies often thought that it was worth preserving some of the elements of it. In their minds the Empire was 100 percent evil and the cognitive dissonance required to accept that it couldn’t actually have been is too much to bear.

13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

The left hate the Commonwealth because it’s a constant reminder of the British Empire and the fact that the ex-colonies often thought that it was worth preserving some of the elements of it. In their minds the Empire was 100 percent evil and the cognitive dissonance required to accept that it couldn’t actually have been is too much to bear.

The left also hate the commonwealth because:

• Members are free to leave at any point -- they don't because the benefits outweigh the costs.
  • If they did want to leave then the other members (and UK in particular) would ease the process, allow a slow exit with support, etc.

cf. the EU.

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Pakustan yes. Nuts.

Nugerua is more secular, just the northern bits have some sharia.

Bhangla and malay barely regustered as uslamic  40 years. Now they are going the full saudi

Yeah, but don't you read the guardian?

He one said something to which one of their columnists took offence, so he shouldn't be head of the commonwealth.

xD

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2018/apr/19/prince-charles-brown-skin-british-people-head-of-commonwealth?__twitter_impression=true

The Prince of Wales told me I don’t look like I’m from Manchester. If this is how he thinks, he shouldn’t be the next head of the Commonwealth

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

You mean in contrast to, say, Prince Andrew?

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Britain will be able to join by 2050