• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Happy St George's Day!

Recommended Posts

Patron Saint of Palestine, Georgia, etc

He is a Johnny Come Lately to England introduced by our Norman overlords. The original national Saints were all members of the Anglo Saxon Royal Houses St Edmund, St Edward etc

I don't see much reason to celebrate our continued oppression under the boot of the Normans ancestors who still own a big chunk of all the land in the country. Needless to say a conquest carried out with the blessing of the Rome and carried out under a papal banner, the Vexillium Ecclesiae which may actually be the origin of the current English flag. 

 

Edited by Virgil Caine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One percent said:

6D6F7AE0-B248-4970-9479-5846A4632579.jpeg

I think that the timing in your picture might be a bit out -- George died under the Great Persecution in the early 4th century.  If anything, patriots should be a bit cross with the Roman Empire.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dgul said:

I think that the timing in your picture might be a bit out -- George died under the Great Persecution in the early 4th century.  If anything, patriots should be a bit cross with the Roman Empire.

 

A Greek speaker born in modern day Turkey or Syria and who was martyred in Palestine, St George did not even become Patron Saint of England until the 14th century a thousand years after he died. The flag which was probably a papal banner only became associated with him after the Crusades.

Personally I think we should have stuck with the Anglo Saxon Royal Saints particularly as that might allow us to have the fabulously named St Sexburga as a national Saint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least it is a symbol for England, Englishness and fighting to preserve it.

Happy St. George's Day.

Tangentially, seems so long ago when a national carrier could have a marketing campaign around "Fly the Flag."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

At least it is a symbol for England, Englishness and fighting to preserve it.

Happy St. George's Day.

Tangentially, seems so long ago when a national carrier could have a marketing campaign around "Fly the Flag."

And our future Queen is going to celebrate by (probably) having a child on this day!  Hurrah!

I hope she celebrates by naming the child George / Georgina!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dgul said:

And our future Queen is going to celebrate by (probably) having a child on this day!  Hurrah!

I hope she celebrates by naming the child George / Georgina!  

So 2 George's  if it's a boy then.

Makes remembering their names easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Saint George's day!

I painted you a wee painting to mark the occasion, hope you like it :

 

Jost_Haller_-_Saint_George_slaying_the_d

 

Not really, I can't paint for shit.

Edited by Carl Fimble
giving the impression I am an artist, then admitting I was talking pish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Happy Saint George's day!

I painted you a wee painting to mark the occasion, hope you like it :

 

Jost_Haller_-_Saint_George_slaying_the_d

 

Not really, I can't paint for shit.

That's not a dragon, it's a very big weasel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, This Time said:

That's not a dragon, it's a very big weasel.

I did say I couldn't paint for shit. Dragons are hard to depict, even more so than horses. I can do a pretty good elephant though.

Edited by Carl Fimble
to not go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was nice to you all yesterday, what with it being your saints day and all.

It's past midnight now though :

* Volume warning ⚠ * 

* Volume warning ⚠ * 

 

 

Edited by Carl Fimble
volume 📣 warning ⚠ Oh- I didn't know I could put little picture in this bit, hmmmm 🚀 🚗 ✈ 🦆 🚢 🖤🌟 🎂 🍺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.