• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Whatsapp?

1 minute ago, Bkkandrew said:

What's a phone number?

A sequence of numbers which can belong to a mobile or landline telephone account.

It may allow contacting people either by speech or by sending a short message via a keyboard.

Some phone numbers are responded to by an automated service enabling a message to be recorded.

It's not the same as their regular phone number, or at least it didn't used to be. Although nowadays I think it is, you can either Whatsapp them or ring/text them. Personally I prefer Whatsapp to texting.

5 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

A sequence of numbers which can belong to a mobile or landline telephone account.

It may allow contacting people either by speech or by sending a short message via a keyboard.

Some phone numbers are responded to by an automated service enabling a message to be recorded.

We use string and tin cans in YORKSHIRE.  Serves its purpose

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

OTT services are so prevalent in Asia now, that I literally cannot remember the last STD call that I made.

In my phonebook, more than half the numbers are by way of QR Code, so there is no way of knowing the originating 'phone' number.

Telcos simply provide data packages to subscribers, with non-data RPU now at less than $0.10/user/month.

Telephone numbers were mainly used in the 20th Century and most people will have forgotten what they were by the end of this decade. 

24 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

I literally cannot remember the last STD call that I made.

Apart from work or receiving them from companies e-mail is a relic too.

Can't remember the last private e-mail sent to me or sent by me.

A lot of contacts were lost during BT Yahoo trouble, people just never bothered changing passwords.

This perplexes me. At my work we have so many stupid channels like this - whatsapp, a private version of twitter, another private version of something else (faceache?), emails, texts etc etc etc. And people want to use them all and get uppity if you didnt see your post. Of course I didnt see your fucking post, 99%+ of what is on these non emails channels is timewasting bollox and Im too busy, Ive got my work to do and dosbods to post on. So I stopped looking at all of them except my fucking email.

/rant

Honestly I dont see the point. We have email. If it isnt worth putting in email it isnt worth putting in.

Am I autistic, do you think?

7 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Can't remember the last private e-mail sent to me or sent by me.

Am huge email user, love it. Personal long chatty emails between beekeepers, short pithy chats, work related emails that turn into a nice chat. 

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Am huge email user...

Used to be same.

No idea why but just dried up.

I realise some worry about leaks or just the wrong person seeing them, workwise, relationships, the careless abandon of the past has gone.

Blame Hillary maybe.

27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

OTT?
STD? *Sniggers*

OTT - Over The Top. Uses an IP transit method to connect to pier. Avoids the telco network for unique identifier and their infrastructure, unless specific, such as BTS site to handset.

STD - Sarah's Troublesome Daffodils Standard Trunk Dialling, operated since Operator Service was not required in the late 1960's. 

11 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Of course I didnt see your fucking post, 99%+ of what is on these non emails channels is timewasting bollox and Im too busy, Ive got my work to do and dosbods to post on. So I stopped looking at all of them except my fucking email.

Just wanted to say Hi - and any chance of some Spoons vouchers please ? :Beer:

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What @Melchett said.

The underlying message remains the same.

This all looks reminiscent of pay by phone, tuxedo card, contactless.

Multiple solutions for something that wasn't a problem and was working perfectly well.

Honestly Frank, it's disappearing here. I have gone from 150-200 emails a day to 5-10. OTT messages (WhatsApp, Viber, Line, Telegram, WeChat, Messenger, et al) now about 400-500 per day.

Better functionality, resilience and more instant.

2 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

OTT services are so prevalent in Asia now, that I literally cannot remember the last STD call that I made.

In my phonebook, more than half the numbers are by way of QR Code, so there is no way of knowing the originating 'phone' number.

Telcos simply provide data packages to subscribers, with non-data RPU now at less than $0.10/user/month.

Telephone numbers were mainly used in the 20th Century and most people will have forgotten what they were by the end of this decade. 

I'm pretty sure that BT is going to switch of POTS for 2025.  I'm not sure what people without internet are supposed to do.  Send letters I suppose.

2 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

Honestly Frank, it's disappearing here. I have gone from 150-200 emails a day to 5-10. OTT messages (WhatsApp, Viber, Line, Telegram, WeChat, Messenger, et al) now about 400-500 per day.

Better functionality, resilience and more instant.

Interesting.

I find it strange that these things are being so rapidly embraced in SE Asia and China, areas where up to very recently even cars were rare and which still have a large peasantry, whereas in Britain we already have a perfectly functional equivalent and continue to use that.

It seems like these countries have stepped into a whirlwind of change from the 1980s on and seem to embrace that rapid change alongside widespread illiteracy and people still living in mud / straw huts.

It seems to be that new technology is automatically good and to be embraced whereas in Europe, with industrial technology having a three century history, people are far more cautious about change because they recognise that each change brings winners and losers and generally it's the working classes that are the losers from technology.

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Interesting.

I find it strange that these things are being so rapidly embraced in SE Asia and China, areas where up to very recently even cars were rare and which still have a large peasantry, whereas in Britain we already have a perfectly functional equivalent and continue to use that.

It seems like these countries have stepped into a whirlwind of change from the 1980s on and seem to embrace that rapid change alongside widespread illiteracy and people still living in mud / straw huts.

It seems to be that new technology is automatically good and to be embraced whereas in Europe, with industrial technology having a three century history, people are far more cautious about change because they recognise that each change brings winners and losers and generally it's the working classes that are the losers from technology.

Maybe. I was in Durban in about 1990 and was amazed that almost everyone had a cell phone, when only the yuppies had them in London.

But they never really had landlines so they weren't actually replacing any system.

(Was also quite weird that they didn't really have post either so businesses sent all their invoices by courier)