• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Parking at Charing Cross

I bought my partner two tickets for London Underground's "Hidden London" tour - this time, for Charing Cross.

I went the last time, but really don't want to be going into London any more. Problem is that partner's friend might not be able to make it now.

So either he goes on his own or I go with him. If I go I want to basically park right outside it with little or no walking involved. Not because I don't like walking, but I will feel very much safer being in the car door-to-door. I'm not going on public transport in London, even for one stop.

We used to go out a lot in the Leicester Square/Soho area though for the life of me I can't place exactly where Charing Cross is. I think it's at the bottom of Tottenham Court Road, we always used to park in Chinatown or in the NCP behind Centrepoint, so, north of there.

Long shot, this: does anyone know where the best place is?

8 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I bought my partner two tickets for London Underground's "Hidden London" tour - this time, for Charing Cross.

I went the last time, but really don't want to be going into London any more. Problem is that partner's friend might not be able to make it now.

So either he goes on his own or I go with him. If I go I want to basically park right outside it with little or no walking involved. Not because I don't like walking, but I will feel very much safer being in the car door-to-door. I'm not going on public transport in London, even for one stop.

We used to go out a lot in the Leicester Square/Soho area though for the life of me I can't place exactly where Charing Cross is. I think it's at the bottom of Tottenham Court Road, we always used to park in Chinatown or in the NCP behind Centrepoint, so, north of there.

Why not just get the train to Waterloo and a black cab to Charing Cross - will be cheaper than parking

Added bonus if you need some food is you can visit the Waterloo Bar and Kitchen next to the Old Vic - friend of mine owns it and it is really good.

http://www.barandkitchen.co.uk/

Edited by Cunning Plan

18 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Train to Waterloo, walk across the Hungerford footbridge straight into Charing Cross station. It's a very pleasant 5 minute walk, fairly busy and extremely safe.

Edit to add: This route will take you past the Southbank food market, which is delicious and friendly (and protected by newly installed concrete bollards to prevent any vans of peace).

Edited by Hail the Tripod

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Why not just get the train to Waterloo and a black cab to Charing Cross - will be cheaper than parking

Added bonus if you need some food is you can visit the Waterloo Bar and Kitchen next to the Old Vic - friend of mine owns it and it is really good.

http://www.barandkitchen.co.uk/

I'm not so worried about the train part, more the tube. But the trains are so laughably, pitiably slow that you can watch traffic in 30mph zones outside your window going faster than you are.

Outside of rush hour - the journey time is more than halved by driving.

This is on a Sunday (just checked) - last time I drove into London on a Sunday I was in Hatton Garden in 55 minutes door-to-door.

6 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I'm not so worried about the train part, more the tube. But the trains are so laughably, pitiably slow that you can watch traffic in 30mph zones outside your window going faster than you are.

This is on a Sunday (just checked) - last time I drove into London on a Sunday I was in Hatton Garden in 55 minutes door-to-door.

How many years ago was that?

The last time I drove in London I almost shat myself with the amount of cyclists I nearly killed. It was like being swarmed. Very unrelaxing.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

How many years ago was that?

The last time I drove in London I almost shat myself with the amount of cyclists I nearly killed. It was like being swarmed. Very unrelaxing.

About five years ago. I was a bit surprised, too. I'd rather not drive into London but then I'd rather not get the train either so it's just a choice of the lesser of two evils.

OK, just had a look. 

The website will sell me the two tickets for £29.90 each - yea, that's almost sixty quid for two people who live really near London.

However it doesn't mention that (you have to go elsewhere to find it) there aren't any trains for part of the journey. We'd have to drive about half way anyway to pick up the train later on.

How very British.

9 minutes ago, DTMark said:

OK, just had a look. 

The website will sell me the two tickets for £29.90 each - yea, that's almost sixty quid for two people who live really near London.

However it doesn't mention that (you have to go elsewhere to find it) there aren't any trains for part of the journey. We'd have to drive about half way anyway to pick up the train later on.

How very British.

Agreed. Trains are sodding expensive. We thought we would take the train to Portsmouth last week. £67 for three of us. 

We drove it in under an hour instead.

Edited by Cunning Plan

38 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Did the heist go well?  :)

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Agreed. Trains are skidding expensive. We thought we would take the train to Portsmouth last week. £67 for three of us. 

We drove it in under an hour instead.

We live within the environs of London transport.  11 quid each to get us into the centre. We don’t bother. 

Just now, One percent said:

Did the heist go well?  :)

One of my clients is indeed in Hatton Garden.

When that heist happened, one of their competitors, who pretended to be in Hatton Garden even though they were not (more like Harrow, IIRC), had used a photo of that depository as their premises.

They disappeared offline fairly soon after.

Charing Cross looks walkable from the Embankment or from that Chinatown car park - IIRC that's the one that's a converted office building which still looks like an office building inside, it's really weird. But then that was twenty years ago.

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

One of my clients is indeed in Hatton Garden.

When that heist happened, one of their competitors, who pretended to be in Hatton Garden even though they were not (more like Harrow, IIRC), had used a photo of that depository as their premises.

They disappeared offline fairly soon after.

Charing Cross looks walkable from the Embankment or from that Chinatown car park - IIRC that's the one that's a converted office building which still looks like an office building inside, it's really weird. But then that was twenty years ago.

Charring cross and the embankment station are on top of each other. 

There is something amusing about going to a tour of London Underground facilities, but being determined to avoid public transport on the way...

[BTW I'd always walk from Waterloo to Charing Cross -- it takes no time at all, and almost certainly faster than taking the tube.]

17 minutes ago, dgul said:

There is something amusing about going to a tour of London Underground facilities, but being determined to avoid public transport on the way...

[BTW I'd always walk from Waterloo to Charing Cross -- it takes no time at all, and almost certainly faster than taking the tube.]

#me too. And I love the view from the bridge (as I believe did Monet)

4 hours ago, dgul said:

I like the idea of London Underground. The history. I just don't particularly like using it. Simply put there are way, way too many people in London for its transport system. It is horrifically overloaded and frankly dangerous. 

These days I just don't want to be stabbed, shot or have acid thrown in my face and be horrifically disfigured for life. Welcome to London. It used to mean something, once. It was a great city. Now, it's a shithole. There are a few bits in the middle still worth seeing.

Driving is the only option since there aren't any trains, anyway. Partner doesn't know that yet.

Can you just "park on the Embankment" for nothing?

6 hours ago, DTMark said:

May I advise you to skip visiting that multicultural violent shithole. If you really must insist on going, do please invest in a stab vest. 

https://www.safeguardclothing.com/uk/13-stab-proof-vest/

Edited by Charles Carter

3 minutes ago, Charles Carter said:

May I advise you to skip visiting that multicultural violent shithole. If you really must insist on going, do please invest in a stab vest. 

Well, that was the idea. I'd buy him the tickets and he and a friend would go. Problem is the friend can't go now and the tickets are 'named' so if someone else is to attend, it needs to be changed quickly.

Partner really wants to go and will go on his own, just seems a shame as it's his birthday. But then we're not talking about a trip out to Winchester where the chance of being killed is near zero.

I may see if I can change the date for a later one.

20 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I like the idea of London Underground. The history. I just don't particularly like using it. Simply put there are way, way too many people in London for its transport system. It is horrifically overloaded and frankly dangerous. 

These days I just don't want to be stabbed, shot or have acid thrown in my face and be horrifically disfigured for life. Welcome to London. It used to mean something, once. It was a great city. Now, it's a shithole. There are a few bits in the middle still worth seeing.

Driving is the only option since there aren't any trains, anyway. Partner doesn't know that yet.

I don't use the underground unless absolutely necessary.  Usually walk or at a push a bus.  I've seen too much on the potential risks / no escape route.

21 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Lots off possibilities on a Sunday.  Some poss on a Saturday if you know what you're doing.  Very little in the way of options on a week day.

There's a little underground car park at the London St Martin's Lane Hotel, I stuck my car in there for a couple of hours when I helped my mate move to his new office on Duncannon St. No idea how much it is but probably a tenner for a few hours on a Sunday if it's open. 5 minute walk back to Charing Cross.

Or park outside my house and get the train up from my local station (Catford Bridge) assuming they're running on Sunday. I'll walk you to the station to protect you from stabby types :) .

3 hours ago, Rave said:

There's a little underground car park at the London St Martin's Lane Hotel, I stuck my car in there for a couple of hours when I helped my mate move to his new office on Duncannon St. No idea how much it is but probably a tenner for a few hours on a Sunday if it's open. 5 minute walk back to Charing Cross.

Or park outside my house and get the train up from my local station (Catford Bridge) assuming they're running on Sunday. I'll walk you to the station to protect you from stabby types :) .

Catford! An ex went to Catford girls school!

9 hours ago, DTMark said:

You can park on the red double lines for free.

Car probably isn't going to be in one piece when you come back

OK, it looks like there are plenty of parking opportunities nearby and since it's a Sunday getting into one of them shouldn't be a problem. 

These ones look like the favourites (just so I can find them again):

Hungerford Lane, WC2 0.14mls
St. Martin's Street WC2H 0.31mls
ME London Hotel WC2R 0.37mls

Those are the distances from "Charing Cross", not necessarily the train station, I'll do some map work and see which one is nearest.

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

Catford! An ex went to Catford girls school!

My wife went to Catford Girls MrP. It's been knocked down and rebuilt as an Academy now.