• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Finland to end UBI trial

Finland to end basic income trial after two years

Government rejects request for funds to expand scheme and plans stricter benefits rules

Europe’s first national government-backed experiment in giving citizens free cash will end next year after Finland decided not to extend its widely publicised basic income trial and to explore alternative welfare schemes instead.

No reason given as to why it is to end. The obvious inference is that those who were given money without any requirement to work carried on not working and someone worked out what it would cost if everyone did the same.

Edited by DTMark

Unless those that were part of the trial were guaranteed this income for life (i.e. even after the trial has ended), and with the appropriate annual inflation rises, then I don't really understand how any conclusions could be made about the participants behaviour. i.e. they'd assume it was a bit of free cash for a short period and plan for future work accordingly. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

Finland to end basic income trial after two years

Government rejects request for funds to expand scheme and plans stricter benefits rules

No reason given as to why it is to end. The obvious inference is that those who were given money without any requirement to work carried on not working and someone worked out what it would cost if everyone did the same.

Uncontrolled migration flows mean you want the worst benefit system in place, not the best.

2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Bingo. Unless, of course, it takes twelve years to become a citizen. My money is on Switzerland to become the first UBI country but for citizens only.

Kuwait already did that. Seeing as barely a quarter of residents at any given time are Kuwaiti citizens, people don’t necessarily view it as “universal”.

23 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Uncontrolled migration flows mean you want the worst benefit system in place, not the best.

We have a winner.

Both Norway and Finland have recently begun to wake up to the horror of having an islamic neighbour. A few months ago lots of their politicians, media were sprouting the same guff that Swedish, German, UK, etc lot do. But recently there seems to have been an about turn.