• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

UmBongo

Mobile phone help please

I have a fairly low end Samsung J3 smartphone. It is now 98% full. To create more room I have deleted photos an unnecessary apps but it's still asking me to delete some apps to make space! The apps I have left alone are ones I use regularly.

I'm rather loathing the idea of having to upgrade. Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks.

I'm assuming that you can't put an SD expansion card in it..?

You could try a full reset and then only install the apps you need.

That might clear out a certain amount of "orphaned crap" in the file system.

You might have stuff still in cache. Basically you need to download another app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5kaXNrdXNhZ2UiXQ..

Run it and see whether it is showing stuff that you can delete. The basic File Manager on Android phones is rubbish and does not really show you stuff hidden in memory, cache, etc, So run the above app, see what it reports and then delete stuff that you don't need.

The standard File Manager on Android is rubbish. Many of the ones on the Play Store have a function tofind and delete old, empty or redundan files. I am not up to date with which is the best for doing this these days as there are scores to chose from. Hopefully, the first option will help you out.

I ended up getting another phone with the sole requirement that it had much more memory; the inbuilt apps steadily bloated and couldn't be deleted so I had to play the game of taking the ones I didn't want down to factory settings whereupon they would start updating again.

You also can't move them to the SD card.

It was wildly irritating and basically means that smaller memory phones become slow and unusable (mine after about eighteen months) because of the apps that you neither want nor are able to remove.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It was wildly irritating and basically means that smaller memory phones become slow and unusable (mine after about eighteen months) because of the apps that you neither want nor are able to remove.

Yes there's tons of shit on my phone I don't use.
I read occasionally FB, email and google on it. I take tons of photos though.

Thanks for the comments peeps. :)

I did wonder if I could pop another SD card into it and whether one would help. My 2 year contract is coming to an end so I wonder if it's Samsung or Vodafone pulling a trick to convince me to upgrade to one with more memory?

I tried taking a picture of a Triumph Acclaim and I had to uninstall a couple of apps just to do that! 9_9

If you can put a bigger SD card in it, and then make sure that everything on the phone is saved to it (not in phone memory) then that should serve you well.

Back everything up, turn it off, put your new, bigger card in, turn it back on, reinstall apps and drag content back onto the new card.

1 hour ago, Thombleached said:

What version of android are you running? "N" seems ok at managing uneccesary files

I've just checked - v 5.1.1

I assume it updates to the latest version asap.

1 minute ago, UmBongo said:

I've just checked - v 5.1.1

I assume it updates to the latest version asap.

Many models don't receive updates. With Android, IIRC - it's down to the manufacturer to test them per device and then make them available.

Mine has Android 7 on it which is stable and nearly bug-free and wants to update itself to Android 8 "Oreo" I think it is, but from what I've read, it offers nothing new, has quite a few bugs and worsens battery life.

I have the opposite problem. I can't get the software update notification to piss off because you can't block the underlying "Software Update" app from repeatedly throwing up the message so periodically, when I unlock the phone I have to clear the prompt about the download. Even though I've put the phone in "developer mode" and turned off the updates.

Not wanting to derail your thread since I think we have a solution for your problem, you don't need a new phone, but if anyone knows how to get rid of this it would be appreciated. I might want to update it one day, but not to Android 8.

1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

Thanks for the comments peeps. :)

I did wonder if I could pop another SD card into it and whether one would help. My 2 year contract is coming to an end so I wonder if it's Samsung or Vodafone pulling a trick to convince me to upgrade to one with more memory?

I tried taking a picture of a Triumph Acclaim and I had to uninstall a couple of apps just to do that! 9_9

Samsung J3 definitely takes an sd card so that seems like the best solution.

In terms of the updated rom, it depends on your carrier. Check with o2/EE etc to see if/when you'll get marshmallow or nougat.

Its certainly capable of taking the update

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Other-Mobile-Devices/When-will-the-Samsung-Galaxy-J3-get-the-Android-Nougat-update/td-p/51666

My Note 4 has been like this for a while, and yesterday it froze up completely. I've had a newer phone sat in a drawer for a year or so, given to me by the same rich friend that gave me the Note, so I've been reluctantly going through the faffage of transferring over to it. New phone is a Huawei and seems to be chock full of Huawei cruft already, but it has 60GB of internal storage as opposed to the 30 in the Note so hopefully I'll not have to go through it all again for another couple of years. It's a pain, as the Note was the absolute nuts while it was working properly. I'll factory reset it then give it to my wife to replace her Galaxy S3, which followed the same path from friend, to me, to her. I expect the Note will have a cracked screen or be otherwise damaged in a couple of weeks, like every other smartphone she's ever had9_9.

8 hours ago, Rave said:

My Note 4 has been like this for a while, and yesterday it froze up completely. I've had a newer phone sat in a drawer for a year or so, given to me by the same rich friend that gave me the Note, so I've been reluctantly going through the faffage of transferring over to it. New phone is a Huawei and seems to be chock full of Huawei cruft already, but it has 60GB of internal storage as opposed to the 30 in the Note so hopefully I'll not have to go through it all again for another couple of years. It's a pain, as the Note was the absolute nuts while it was working properly. I'll factory reset it then give it to my wife to replace her Galaxy S3, which followed the same path from friend, to me, to her. I expect the Note will have a cracked screen or be otherwise damaged in a couple of weeks, like every other smartphone she's ever had9_9.

My wife smashed up her iPhone beyond repair (the whole thing was bent) when she was drunk, so I bought her a new one to replace it. They next weekend she dropped that one down a toilet.

xD

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

My wife smashed up her iPhone beyond repair (the whole thing was bent) when she was drunk, so I bought her a new one to replace it. They next weekend she dropped that one down a toilet.

xD

My toddler did that with my wife’s phone.  Put it in a box of rice and leave it a week (thanks DOSBODs advice ;)..   it honestly did work and is still working now about a year later :)

Edited by Libspero

8 minutes ago, Libspero said:

My toddler did that with my wife’s phone.  Put it in a box of rice and leave it a week (thanks DOSBODs advice ;)..   it honestly did work and is still working now about a year later :)

Yeah, that's what I had her do (I'd probably read about it on here xD), except I couldn't stop her taking it out every few hours and fucking about with it.

She reckons that the battery life isn't what it was, but it still works.

Looking at my required upgrade because of the same problems as flagged in the OP I went to a phone with 16GB of internal memory (Motorla Moto C) from one with 4GB (Motorola Moto E) and that has made all the difference.

I preferred the E mainly because it was smaller but 4GB was not enough for the inbuilt apps after 18 months of their bloated upgrades that you couldn't turn off.  Or switch to the SD card.  All my photos were on th SD card and I only had one app (a game) that I had downloaded myself; everything else was built in.

Hopefully the 16GB will be sufficient but I found it incredibly annoying that the 4GB phone became steadily slower and more useless over time because of the pre-loaded, undeletable, and mostly unused apps updating themselves with improved functionality "for my benefit".

22 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Looking at my required upgrade because of the same problems as flagged in the OP I went to a phone with 16GB of internal memory (Motorla Moto C) from one with 4GB (Motorola Moto E) and that has made all the difference.

I preferred the E mainly because it was smaller but 4GB was not enough for the inbuilt apps after 18 months of their bloated upgrades that you couldn't turn off.  Or switch to the SD card.  All my photos were on th SD card and I only had one app (a game) that I had downloaded myself; everything else was built in.

Hopefully the 16GB will be sufficient but I found it incredibly annoying that the 4GB phone became steadily slower and more useless over time because of the pre-loaded, undeletable, and mostly unused apps updating themselves with improved functionality "for my benefit".

With Android, or at least with version 7, you can turn off app updates - the first thing I did (coming from an iPhone, so it's understandable) was to disable all forms of automatic updating.

The thing works. There is no need to change it.

It does occasionally throw up a notification at the top of the screen about app updates being available but it's easily cancelled. If I do run into a problem with an app then I might consider updating it but it will be my decision.

The only thing I can't turn off, which is driving me mad, is the nagging to update the OS from version 7 to version 8. I think the only solution is to "hack" the phone and forcibly disable certain services from running, specifically those background services related to software updates.

I went to the Android Central forum to see if I could find the answer.

There's one big thread about how angry people are that they haven't had the latest update. It's shocking, I tell you. We've all been let down. Want updates.

There's one thread from me asking how I stop it updating.

And nearly all the other threads are moaning about bugs in the update that people appear desperate to get.

I have quite a lot of apps installed on the phone and it's using 18GB in total. I'd have thought most would use less space than this.

15 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Lots of really good sub £200 phones now folks.

The Note mentioned can be flashed with a custom ROM to remove all the Samsung bloatware.

Ive been using handmedowns for years and was recently using my SIL's iphone 5s for the last 3 years but it lasted so long because it was locked on iOS 7 I think because I jailbroke it. I got a nest thermostat and had to update the ios to make it all work. That completely crippled it so thought id get a newish phone. 

I found a brand new LGV20 for around £200. Got 60gb of memory but ive put a 128gb sd card in. Its got a dual sim slot as well so no need for two phones anymore. Its got a hifi dac built in, cameras stunningly good and to top it all off its got a removable battery.

Perhaps ive just used old iPhones for too long but I really should have swapped to android sooner. Theres a great feature where I can use the phone as a battery itself which is a nice little trick. But its just nice being in charge of the file system a touch more.

Edited by Thombleached

16 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The Note mentioned can be flashed with a custom ROM to remove all the Samsung bloatware.

I'm still using a Note 2.  Tough phone that has not been caressed apart from putting in a decent two part otterbox case.

17 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I used to run custom firmware on cheap Android phones. But they were easy to hack, you have to jump through a lot of hoops to do it on a Samsung so I never bothered as it worked great out of the box, and continued to run great until it bloated itself to death.