• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Austin Allegro

Women who believe in fortune tellers

Since moving out of London to the country I've noticed there seem to be quite a few middle aged women around who are into mediums, fortune tellers etc. 

The parish hall occasionally has mediums visiting and some spiritualist group holds seances there too I believe. 

In the pub afterwards various middle aged women were talking about it and how the medium knew something about them that 'he couldn't possibly have guessed' etc. 

No men seem to be interested in this stuff, nor young women. It always seems to be women of a certain age from what you might call the upper or respectable working class. The sort of professional middle class women I mixed with in London would have had nothing to do with this sort of thing. Any thoughts as to why?

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Since moving out of London to the country I've noticed there seem to be quite a few middle aged women around who are into mediums, fortune tellers etc. 

The parish hall occasionally has mediums visiting and some spiritualist group holds seances there too I believe. 

In the pub afterwards various middle aged women were talking about it and how the medium knew something about them that 'he couldn't possibly have guessed' etc. 

No men seem to be interested in this stuff, nor young women. It always seems to be women of a certain age from what you might call the upper or respectable working class. The sort of professional middle class women I mixed with in London would have had nothing to do with this sort of thing. Any thoughts as to why?

Many middle aged/boomer women portray an interest in things that don't exist, or that they don't actually like, simply so they can get a reaction and/or receive some attention.

The Barnum Effect is particularly strong in women, quite simply because - and as has been proved time and again - (most) women place emotion above reasoning. Men are generally the opposite.

@spygirl exactly, if you posed the question: "Do you believe in reincarnation/karma/the afterlife/horoscopes/tarot cards/etc" then measured the reactions from men, versus those from women, they are going to be starkly different. There are exceptions of course but this has been the case for centuries - eg: the wife went to church and the husband stayed home.

Most women would rather believe in mumbojumbo as it makes them feel better than believing the opposite. I am not being sexist by the way, just stating how it is :Old:

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

So, none of you would like me to read your chakras or to get my crystals out? 

I'm sure we'd all like you to get your crystals out

photos, or it didn't happen

I used to be interested in all that up to about the age of puberty! Now I can't imagine even being nice about it in a conversation with someone who believes such rubbish. (Nb I am a female in me 60s.)

I'd like to think I am far too rational to believe in such bollocks now (ie stuff without any scientific evidence) but have to be honest that I probably do have an emotional response to certain stimuli, and I would guess that all humans have their weak point(s) when it comes to being irrational and somewhat superstitious.  (I do try to resist when I notice it but I probably am unaware of some deviations from the entirely logical!)

I once got my husband to translate some business website from French into English for a new (woman in her 40s) friend as she had asked me for a favour. (Didn't know what her website/business was untill is was sent to us.) Bugger me - a star sign pile of rubbish!  Couldn't believe the madness of it! Pages of how the stars affect your fertility and how the place and time of your birth set out your life before you. (So no free will then?) Bet she didn't make much money from it but there are a surprising number of (female) idiots (who are looking for some sort of spiritual guidance) out there it seems. 

A visit to Gypsy Petulengro is a tradition for local club coach trips to Blackpool.

The premise that village hall palmists, crystal ballers and assorted spiritualists, faith healers, fortune tellers, are fed bits and bobs of background info in casual conversation, that they are fakes, is valid. Maybe they use Facebook these days.

A walk in visit to a supernaturalist on a seaside pier is a different kettle of fish. The accuracy and credibility of Gypsy Petulengro has lasted through generations.

It's definitely true that country folk have a different outlook on the spirit world generally, but that doesn't apply to city dwellers with second homes near a field.

The occult world varies from light hearted Tarot readings by bored Mums all the way through to spirit cooking devil worshippers making pizzas out of children.

It is real.

I think what puzzles me is the class angle. It seems to be upper working class/lower middle class women who are into all this. I've never known an upper middle class woman to be into spiritualist churches, seances or fortune telling. 

I'm guessing the upper middle class types are more into New Age stuff like crystals, chakras etc that require lots of money for courses and trips to Ashrams in India, whereas mediums in the parish hall charge about £10 including a free drink!

17 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'm sure we'd all like you to get your crystals out

photos, or it didn't happen

Why of why could I not guess that someone would turn that into a double entendres?  xD

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

portable massage table

I once met a woman through online dating who said she'd been to a course that was billed as some sort of 'positive energy crystal healing group massage therapy' or some such. 

After she'd had one session of mostly waffle, she was invited back to a 'private members only session' the next week, that turned out to be some sort of orgy with the women getting a special 'massage' from all the men. She reckoned the initial session was to check out what she looked like (she was quite a stunner actually). She said most of the women were lookers but most of the men were ropey New Age hippy types. 

She said she made her excuses and left, though I'm not so sure. 

Edit: I think this is the group: https://onetaste.us/

Edited by Austin Allegro

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Why of why could I not guess that someone would turn that into a double entendres?  xD

Double entendres now eh, it just gets better

Photos, or it didn't happen

3 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I once met a woman through online dating who said she'd been to a course that was billed as some sort of 'positive energy crystal healing group massage therapy' or some such. 

After she'd had one session of mostly waffle, she was invited back to a 'private members only session' the next week, that turned out to be some sort of orgy with the women getting a special 'massage' from all the men. She reckoned the initial session was to check out what she looked like (she was quite a stunner actually). She said most of the women were lookers but most of the men were ropey New Age hippy types. 

She said she made her excuses and left, though I'm not so sure. 

There was a postcard in our very prim and proper village post office window a few years back:

"Qualified masseur with own portable table provides relaxing massage therapy for stay at home housewives, daytime visits only"

if you don't mind the occasional rapid exits via a drainpipe, rural villages are a good hunting ground

I think I remember on the last site that someone mentioned that had a Sybian machine (if you don't know what that is; google it but it's not safe for work) and he had a string of women calling over to use it.

I remember at the time thinking it could be a worthwhile investment of a couple of grand; buy one, set it up in a (well sound proofed) room somewhere, and charge an appropriate fee ;)

I don't understand it.

At one of my offices there's a girl, nice, middle aged, a bit unhinged.  She's doing okay (given where she was 10 years ago), but she remains one paycheck away from bankruptcy.  Then I go in and meet her over a cup of tea and she's going on about how she's started an online course on 'how to channel your inner energy' or some such.  £1,500.  It is a level of barmy that I don't get.

[OTOH I know of a few people that go away on retreats to some monastery or new-aged equivalent for a few £££s, but at least that's a sort-of holiday (accommodation, food, etc).  This girl gets some videos and 10 mins of Skype once a week for 6 months.]

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I think I remember on the last site that someone mentioned that had a Sybian machine (if you don't know what that is; google it but it's not safe for work) and he had a string of women calling over to use it.

I remember at the time thinking it could be a worthwhile investment of a couple of grand; buy one, set it up in a (well sound proofed) room somewhere, and charge an appropriate fee ;)

Excellent plan Joe, a lot more fun and lower risk than your brother's plan, but one you might want to hide from your family. Not sure where you'd advertise for likely users of the room but I reckon TMT might be able to help you there...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Excellent plan Joe, a lot more fun and lower risk than your brother's plan, but one you might want to hide from your family. Not sure where you'd advertise for likely users of the room but I reckon TMT might be able to help you there...

I think it would be a cracking plan.

Advertise it in the right way, have a room in a city centre apartment set up (like brothels do). Aromatherapy, mood lighting, all that shit. Stressed out office worker pops out of the office for half an hour, comes round to my gaff...slides up the pencil skirt, sits atop the Sybian and grinds her woes away.

The question is - is it legal? I don't see why not.

Edited by JoeDavola

Posted (edited)

Despite being scientifically minded I'm still intrigued. 

I guess people do this for all kinds of reasons, some are bored, some are interested for fun, some really believe in it.

With regards to who does it and why - there's a strong history of spiritualism running through working class Britain. My nan and her pals were into it, her mum was into it. It's probably less popular now than it used to be.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I think it would be a cracking plan.

Advertise it in the right way, have a room in a city centre apartment set up (like brothels do). Aromatherapy, mood lighting, all that shit. Stressed out office worker pops out of the office for half an hour, comes round to my gaff...slides up the pencil skirt, sits atop the Sybian and grinds her woes away.

The question is - is it legal? I don't see why not.

Must be legal, if the Dolly Parlour is legal. Less controversial too as women are allowed to have pleasure however they want, it's only men who are doll rapists or whatever.