• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Roll up, roll up, get your luverly raffle tickets here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-5653401/We-sell-tickets-raffle-homes-admit-owners.html

Homeowners who raffle their properties instead of selling through an estate agent are failing to make enough cash from ticket sales to cover the value.

Raffles have become popular among desperate sellers who can't get the price they want through a traditional sale.

But many homeowners have struggled to run a profitable draw within gambling rules. 

xD

more at the link. Enjoy. 

I've seen a few where the conditions are that if they don't sell enough tickets by the date then the draw money is donated to charity less a hefty "admin" fee so the scam-merchants people couldn't lose unless they didn't sell enough tickets to cover their initial costs.

That story is suggesting that they're mostly losers but I think those are the exceptions who don't do enough pre-planning.  Still a pleasant read of greedy people ("My house is worth £XXX,000") falling flat though.

58 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-5653401/We-sell-tickets-raffle-homes-admit-owners.html

Homeowners who raffle their properties instead of selling through an estate agent are failing to make enough cash from ticket sales to cover the value.

Raffles have become popular among desperate sellers who can't get the price they want through a traditional sale.

But many homeowners have struggled to run a profitable draw within gambling rules. 

xD

more at the link. Enjoy. 

Nice advert.  Wonder how much it cost them? (the house, not the advert).

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've seen a few where the conditions are that if they don't sell enough tickets by the date then the draw money is donated to charity less a hefty "admin" fee so the scam-merchants people couldn't lose unless they didn't sell enough tickets to cover their initial costs.

That story is suggesting that they're mostly losers but I think those are the exceptions who don't do enough pre-planning.  Still a pleasant read of greedy people ("My house is worth £XXX,000") falling flat though.

It would be a mor pleassant read if the gambling commission forced them to hold the raffle with the tickets theyd sold.

They're always heads I win, tails you lose.  The minimum ticket sales is always to cover an optimistic valuation, and, while they (usually) give the cash to 'the winner' in the event of insufficient sales (as a sweepstake), they always take vast amounts in fee.

2 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

£3.5M for that xD (about 175 years income to average Joe in the UK) It's not even masonry built and barely detached.

It'll also flood quite a lot I suspect.

4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

It'll also flood quite a lot I suspect.

Wouldn't have thought it would be too bad -- it's just upstream of Caversham lock (and weir), so the whole waterway at that point is managed, and if the levels do rise a bit they go over the land to the south.  It floods (badly) just downstream of the lock.

22 minutes ago, dgul said:

Wouldn't have thought it would be too bad -- it's just upstream of Caversham lock (and weir), so the whole waterway at that point is managed, and if the levels do rise a bit they go over the land to the south.  It floods (badly) just downstream of the lock.

Is that where the poor people live by any chance?

2 hours ago, dgul said:

It's probably within the 100 year flood event region so I'd still not risk it. A few houses i viewed some years ago were in the 1 in 1000 year zone yet the water was frighteningly close to the door etc. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It's probably within the 100 year flood event region so I'd still not risk it. A few houses i viewed some years ago were in the 1 in 1000 year zone yet the water was frighteningly close to the door etc. 

Oh, I think I'd risk in 100.  I used to live in a house that got flooded every 3 years or so.  When it was clear that the water was coming we just lifted up the carpets, put all the stuff on the tables and kitchen worktops (bungalow so no upstairs) and went to stay with (happily willing) relatives for a few days.  Then, when the water receded, we'd hose the place down, dehumidify for a few days and put everything back.  Sure, it was a complete hassle (including quite a few 'false alarms'), but for the location (and price) it was bearable enough. 

There's a happy ending as well -- about 15 years ago they sorted out the bridge downstream, and cut into the lovely 150 year old stone walls at intervals to put in metal railings.  That way the water wouldn't get backed up by the obstruction.  Nicely, all those houses that historically flooded upstream of the bridge (including ours) never got flooded again. 

Oh, and hundreds of houses that didn't used to get flooded downstream of the bridge now get flooded.  I think that is in a different county, though, so it doesn't matter.

[I suppose I'd add that the house was 'engineered to be floodable' when it was built (wall type, solid floor, etc), with electrics high up etc.  The thing I don't get is when houses these days flood they spend ages doing it up but replace all the water damaged bits with new water intolerant stuff]

Edited by dgul