• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
gibbon

Dashcams - Worth it?

Every few weeks after seeing a fine display of crazy/aggressive driving I think to myself I should get a dashcam in case of an accident. Roads seem increasingly full of dickheads who won't have a problem lying to insurance companies. So does anyone have one? Are they worth it or more trouble than they're worth?

Edited by gibbon

I’ve got one.  Had it fitted by the main stealer. Ouch.  But, I didn’t want halfrauds ripping up my dash.  I had it hard wired.  

Since getting it done, I’ve not actually seen any examples of bonkers driving, but driving round londonistan where the level of driving is atrocious and lots of crash fro cash, thought it reasonable insurance. 

It  just sits there and records....

Yes,

Great for documenting what happened..  but that works both ways.

You might think if you screw up you can just delete the evidence,  but that in itself could be 1) an offence and 2 ) incriminating.

Worth bearing in mind..

15 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Every few weeks after seeing a fine display of crazy/aggressive driving I think to myself I should get a dashcam in case of a accident. Roads seem increasingly full of dickheads who won't have a problem lying to insurance companies. So does anyone have one? Are they worth it or more trouble than they're worth?

I got one, got one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iN-CAR-CAM-412GW-Dash-Cam-NEXTBASE-DVR-Video-Recorder-for-Car-Grade-A-/222861747683?hash=item33e39865e3

hard wired it with one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nextbase-Hard-Wire-Kit-Car-Dash-Cam-Camera-112-212-312-402G-412-512-512GW-DUO-/291517377396?hash=item43dfca2b74

Glad I have got it. Although not needed yet.

Knowing I'm being filmed makes me a better driver too.

Edited by Hopeful

I would be more worried about taxi drivers (especially ropers)  who deliberately engineer a start stop at a junction so you run into the back of them. Ooh I'm crippled and can't work yet there is no even a dent/cracked number plate or scratch on either car.

22 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Yes,

Great for documenting what happened..  but that works both ways.

You might think if you screw up you can just delete the evidence,  but that in itself could be 1) an offence and 2 ) incriminating.

Worth bearing in mind..

Couldn't you just say 'dashcam? What dashcam? These holes in my dashboard were for my beer holder'

I have one - Transcend DP200. It's probably been replaced now.

Only thing I don't like about it is the sound/mic isn't great. In fact the cheapo Chinese one I had before the Transcend had a better mic on it.

Definitely worth it. 

No need to buy one if you have a smart phone. There are apps on both Apple and Android. I use my android phone on my dashboard to record EVERY journey.

Has the added benefit of being an arm's length away so no fidgeting with the bloody thing when a message arrives. 

I agree with Spunko about there being too much surveillance but when it comes to driving, you have to cover your own arse.

6 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

As you've decided to go for one, I might as well tag along and ask if any bikers here have helmet cams. I've been considering it for a while but mounting options versus price have delayed  purchase.

I got an Apeman action camera on amazon. They start at about £30 for HD and you can get 4k for a bit more. It comes with a waterproof case which you can put on your helmet. The film quality is excellent, battery lasts about 90 minutes. Can be used as a dashcam but not really that suitable. Does timelapse as well. 

North Wales Police have Operation Snap whereby dashcam footage can be uploaded to a police website.

Recently there are reports on social media that in the event of a collision or argument, drivers will reach in and snatch the other motorists dashcam.

Some accident scenes have dashcams  'go missing' , particularly from bikers.

Not making any suggestion there is any such connection in this instance, but last week a foreign rider and his pillion were both killed in an accident. Police have appealed for the Sony Cybershot and lanyard which the biker was wearing to be handed in if found.

Then there are the misguided souls uploading their 170mph laps of the EVO Triangle onto Youtube and FB.

On 25/04/2018 at 21:58, whitevanman said:

I got an Apeman action camera on amazon. They start at about £30 for HD and you can get 4k for a bit more. It comes with a waterproof case which you can put on your helmet. The film quality is excellent, battery lasts about 90 minutes. Can be used as a dashcam but not really that suitable. Does timelapse as well. 

I've seen some innuendo.🦉

On 25/04/2018 at 15:12, Chewing Grass said:

I would be more worried about taxi drivers (especially ropers)  who deliberately engineer a start stop at a junction so you run into the back of them. Ooh I'm crippled and can't work yet there is no even a dent/cracked number plate or scratch on either car.

Yeah two people I know have had issues with taxi drivers. One drove through red light into someone else and the other rolled back - or maybe drove back into someone else. 

On 25/04/2018 at 21:58, whitevanman said:

Thanks - will take a look. Somewhat similar to the SJCAMs going on the shape.

Where do you have it mounted? Chin, side, top?

I used a forehead mount when I went skiing. Someone I was skiing with used a helmet mount, basically a curved piece of plastic that sticks to the helmet via sponge tape. Both methods worked well. I haven't used it on my bike yet but it worked brilliantly when skiing. I've got a biking trip to the Alps in June so will be taking the camera along for the ride. 

Edit: helmet mount was on top but I imagine you can mount it how you like. There are loads of different t mounts available. I might try mounting it on the tank. 

Edited by whitevanman

59 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

I used a forehead mount when I went skiing. Someone I was skiing with used a helmet mount, basically a curved piece of plastic that sticks to the helmet via sponge tape. Both methods worked well. I haven't used it on my bike yet but it worked brilliantly when skiing. I've got a biking trip to the Alps in June so will be taking the camera along for the ride. 

Edit: helmet mount was on top but I imagine you can mount it how you like. There are loads of different t mounts available. I might try mounting it on the tank. 

You have a Tank as well as a white van? 

Still haven't got round to installing mine. I suspect that as soon as I do all the arseholes and dangerous incompetents will miraculously disappear and all my journeys will proceed with no aggro whatsoever.

Most people would see that as a good outcome, but I'm pretty sure that I'm such a self-righteous dickhead that having nothing to complain about would actually make me less happy overall.

I got a dashcam on impulse out in HK, it's pretty cool. It clamps over the rear view mirror, so you get a decent sized screen instead of a mirror. You can tap the screen to switch between forward camera, back camera, split view, or mirror. The rear cam effectively becomes a parking camera. It starts recording if the car is bumped when unattended etc.

But now I have to fit it. I don't want wires dangling everywhere, and i don't want it hogging the lighter socket. I have seen a few blogs of how to do it and it looks OK, but they seem to be into modding their cars in the first place and knew what they were doing. So just wondering if anyone here has actually done it themselves and has any tips or advice?