• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

dgul

I feel petty, oh so petty, oh so petty and righteous and shite

I went to see a play last weekend.  Pretty good, actually.  One of those historical period things (which I don't normally go for), but excellent nonetheless.

Anyway, there was a black actor in it.  He played the part well -- probably the best actor in the piece (but they were all good).

During the interval some old ladies were saying about how confused they were -- see, his dad was played by a white guy, and they couldn't see how he could be black.  I muttered something about how you're supposed to 'suspend disbelief' or something, but really I wanted to say that it didn't really make any difference, that it was obvious who was whom because they kept referring to one another as father and son, etc, and that's how things work in theatre.  

But, anyway, I have absolutely no problem with this, just as I have no problem with a tall actor having a short father in the play, or how the incidental butler was played by a woman (who did a good job of it).  It is all just made up, and you're supposed to just enjoy it as it played.

So, I'm astonished to find that an actor has been targeted by their race to such an extent that they've had to quit their job, and have even been bullied into giving a grovelling apology about how they're the wrong colour for the part.  I'm troubled that after years of impressive progression in the arts, all of a sudden we've gone back to 'you can't have actors of one race portraying a part that is a different race'. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43891939

Even worse, this is being promoted by the press as a good thing.  I just can't believe that they're being complicit in this overt racism.  It isn't even 'institutional racism' or some such -- they're being downright righteous about it all.

Frankly, I hope the Equality Act people are onto this, because it is a very serious development.

another example of how diversity + promixity = conflict.

This was not an issue before immigration and identity politics.  Now its another example on the drag or friction on a smooth running homogenous society.  The Japanese have it right.

39 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Hold on weren't we complaining of subtle propaganda because the character of Achilles in the recent TV series Troy was played by an Negro actor?

Follow the link in the OP.

😀

27 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Michael Jackson was black:o

he was a pedo,anyway i must admit i get a bit pissed off with historical things that are wrong....ie you dont fire a bow you loose it...has an example if they did a remake of shaka zulu or roots with white actors has the main carectors it would be fking stupid.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

So, I'm astonished to find that an actor has been targeted by their race to such an extent that they've had to quit their job, and have even been bullied into giving a grovelling apology about how they're the wrong colour for the part.  I'm troubled that after years of impressive progression in the arts, all of a sudden we've gone back to 'you can't have actors of one race portraying a part that is a different race'. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43891939

Even worse, this is being promoted by the press as a good thing.  I just can't believe that they're being complicit in this overt racism.  It isn't even 'institutional racism' or some such -- they're being downright righteous about it all.

Frankly, I hope the Equality Act people are onto this, because it is a very serious development.

Scarlett Johansson got loads of shit for playing “Major” in the live action remake of the manga classic “Ghost in the Shell”. Tons of bitching about Whitewashing a Japanese character. Legitimate complaint? Only if you ignore the fact that Major was Caucasian in the original Japanese anime version too!

42 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Follow the link in the OP.

😀

The OP was pointing out that some audience members were unhappy that a black person was playing a role that was for a white person. The OP objected to their adverse reaction. 

I'm pointing out that we were doing exactly the same with Achilles. 

The linked article is also objecting to racial miscasting, which is what we were complaining about with Achilles. 

7 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

The OP was pointing out that some audience members were unhappy that a black person was playing a role that was for a white person. The OP objected to their adverse reaction. 

The linked article is also objecting to racial miscasting, which is what we were complaining about with Achilles. 

no, I thought it was a WHITE guy in trouble for playing a black guy?

Did anyone see the Reith Lecture on communication over Christmas?

In order to demonstrate a point about communication they had a couple of actors playing the parts of monkeys aping around the studio, hands to the ground, making monkey noises.

The one doing most of this was black.

And it was utterly hilarious. An "I surely shouldn't be seeing this?" moment.

Were it not for the SJWs this would not have had any amusing aspect whatsoever and the "devil in me" wouldn't have been so entertained at just how affronted they might have been.

But then, they wouldn't have been watching this, because they might have learned something.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

is it the same?

Achilles wasn't just randomly cast as a black actor, all his men were black. That probably wasn't the considered recruitment of the best actors available irrespective of race. It's race based casting. 

If I go on some fringe internet forum, and say that a character never would have looked as they've been portrayed in some TV show, and then quietly get on with my life, is that the same as hounding an actor out of a job for "social justice", which is the actual contrast given by the two examples in the OP.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, wherebee said:

no, I thought it was a WHITE guy in trouble for playing a black guy?

Yep, David Gyasi, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1408543/

A good actor whose portrayal of Achilles seemed OK to me, not sure about the historical accuracy or how true his casting was to Homer's descriptions. 

I didn't watch much of it, I half watched some of it whilst reading and posting on here. 

Edited by sleepwello'nights
didn't watch much of it

Posted (edited)

Theatre’s always been poorly cast..  like those shows you saw as a kid where Peter Pan was always played by a middle age woman.  Even as a kid you felt cheated.. hadn’t they read the book? Peter Pan is a young boy..  heathens!

I guess with arts and pantomime you are supposed to be allowed artistic license..  but for me,  if I’m honest,  I do prefer roles being played by people that do at least look vaguely the part.  If Madonna wants to play an Argentinian,  fine, but yes..  it would still have been better for me if it had been played by someone who looked and sounded Argentinian.  Surely that’s the point?

Equally though,  nobody should be apologising for being poorly cast..  that’s just silly.

In the case of the local amateur performance in the OP,  I guess you can cut a bit of slack because they probably only have a handful of volunteer actors to draw on.  But for a “proper” production I would probably expect a father and son to be cast to at least a semi credible degree of similarity.

Perhaps my expectations are too high?

Edited by Libspero

8 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Hold on weren't we complaining of subtle propaganda because the character of Achilles in the recent TV series Troy was played by an Negro actor?

Well I was because a historical drama should make a basic attempt at authenticity.

I saw some of Costner's Robin Hood where not only was his best mate a muslim (who he had been fighting as his holy duty) but he was being played by an African who would have been a slave of the middle eastern muslims.  But people will go away merrily thinking that was how it happened.

For West Side Story whether it matters depends whether you think it is a historic drama or a piece of light entertainment; definitely the latter for me because IT'S A SODDING MUSICAL.

The new Lost in Space did this too  - the eldest daughter is mixed race. They eventually explained it 4.5 hours in but the incongruity was really off putting until then - every time she was on screen I found myself wondering if we just weren't supposed to notice that both her parents were white and she wasn't. If the Robinsons were a mixed race family they never would have cast a white actress in that roll.

32 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I saw some of Costner's Robin Hood where not only was his best mate a muslim (who he had been fighting as his holy duty) but he was being played by an African who would have been a slave of the middle eastern muslims.  But people will go away merrily thinking that was how it happened.

The addition of a Muslim to the merry men  was first done in Robin of Sherwood, then again in Maid Marion and her Merry Men, and seems to have spread from there. Both produced by our beloved BBC.

4 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The addition of a Muslim to the merry men  was first done in Robin of Sherwood, then again in Maid Marion and her Merry Men, and seems to have spread from there. Both produced by our beloved BBC.

I hadn't realised that; it's ludicrous as the Robin Hood stories, though having much older roots, are set in the middle ages at the peak of the crusades where even the king is fighting the Saracens.  A muslim in Britain at that time would have been killed on the spot.

It's about as historically accurate as having a card carrying German Nazi in the Walmington on Sea Home Guard platoon.

5 minutes ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

Race A plays Race B = Diversity (SJW-good)

Race B plays Race A = Cultural appropriation (SJW-bad)

I'm getting the hang of this virtue signalling now.  Where's my SJW card?

You are only part way there. You need to practise until perfect you sky screaming technique and also need unicorn hair.