• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Twitter questions

I've been following a few people on Twitter (account is not in my real name and all privacy options are enabled - it's really worrying that they're enabled by default) and I have a few questions. Does anyone know:

1. When viewing a thread, why are the replies in seemingly random order?

2. Why are some of the replies initially suppressed so you have to click 'View More Replies' - what determines which ones go there?

3. Why is the timeline not "consistent", which is to say, if I refresh the page, extant posts may vanish or shuffle themselves around

4. What on earth is the 'Notifications' thing for - all that does is randomly pick out a few tweets and remind me about them. Any logic to which ones? Why are those ones especially important?

5. What happens to moderated tweets - do they just vanish or does the thread show that they have been removed?

15 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I've been following a few people on Twitter (account is not in my real name and all privacy options are enabled - it's really worrying that they're enabled by default) and I have a few questions. Does anyone know:

1. When viewing a thread, why are the replies in seemingly random order?

2. Why are some of the replies initially suppressed so you have to click 'View More Replies' - what determines which ones go there?

3. Why is the timeline not "consistent", which is to say, if I refresh the page, extant posts may vanish or shuffle themselves around

4. What on earth is the 'Notifications' thing for - all that does is randomly pick out a few tweets and remind me about them. Any logic to which ones? Why are those ones especially important?

5. What happens to moderated tweets - do they just vanish or does the thread show that they have been removed?

1) if you are referring to replies, they appear in chronological order as to when people reply, for example, on April 8th someone might see a reply made on March 18th and reply to it on April 8th, so that reply will appear between Marcth 18th and the next unrelated Marcth 18th reply in the thread ? Make sense ?

2) I assume it is due to thread length of the particular 'sub' conversation

3) Not noticed that as I don't pay any attention to my timeline, I would have to investigate. But It will most likely be influenced by the accounts you are following. It could be due to promoted tweets and various other favours that Twitter employs - it's not a level playing field. For example Twitter will frustratingly, not show some of my tweets when they go 'viral' to some of my followers, and that is out of my control.

4) In my case, Notifications are set to alert me to when someone RTs, Replies, or Likes one of my Tweets. I don't get any other notifications

5) Dunno.

It is what it is. It's far from transparent and free conversation.

Edited by Hopeful

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

4) In my case, Notifications are set to alert me to when someone RTs, Replies, or Likes one of my Tweets. I don't get any other notifications

Ah - I don't tweet anything (and even if I did, the settings are set so that nobody could see it anyway). I use it as a "reading medium" only and don't interact with it.

So the only difference between simply bookmarking the pages of those I want to follow and just checking the bookmarks, and having an actual account, is that it doesn't keep popping up with a box telling me how great it would be were I to join.

I suppose it has nothing to go on with my account, so it just picks out random things just for the sake of putting something there.

Given the way in which I use it, I can't see any evidence of any sort of profiling or optimisation in the adverts which have no identifiable pattern. The only thing it knows about me is the list of those I follow which changes regularly: all the other data is made-up and it's linked to a free webmail email address, not the one I use, in order that nothing can be 'cross-referenced' in that way.

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Ah - I don't tweet anything (and even if I did, the settings are set so that nobody could see it anyway). I use it as a "reading medium" only and don't interact with it.

So the only difference between simply bookmarking the pages of those I want to follow and just checking the bookmarks, and having an actual account, is that it doesn't keep popping up with a box telling me how great it would be were I to join.

I suppose it has nothing to go on with my account, so it just picks out random things just for the sake of putting something there.

Given the way in which I use it, I can't see any evidence of any sort of profiling or optimisation in the adverts which have no identifiable pattern. The only thing it knows about me is the list of those I follow which changes regularly: all the other data is made-up and it's linked to a free webmail email address, not the one I use, in order that nothing can be 'cross-referenced' in that way.

Yes, it'll work differently if you use it or, 'you can use it differently' might be a better explanation. I am 'me' on Twitter, but as will all social media, I don't post any personal stuff, views, opinions, lifestyle etc

Edited by Hopeful

29 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

2) I assume it is due to thread length of the particular 'sub' conversation

Take this thread, for example:

As I type this: the most-liked tweet is one questioning what is wrong with having targets, and almost all of the tweets that say things along these lines are initially suppressed at the bottom of the thread. You have to click "View More Replies" to see them.

19 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Take this thread, for example:

As I type this: the most-liked tweet is one questioning what is wrong with having targets, and almost all of the tweets that say things along these lines are initially suppressed at the bottom of the thread. You have to click "View More Replies" to see them.

It's in your settings, you twit. xD

TwitOrder.thumb.jpg.911b9dd4759fa63ad7cfdbd42793ba01.jpg

Source :- https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/twitter-timeline

12 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

It's in your settings, you twit. xD

TwitOrder.thumb.jpg.911b9dd4759fa63ad7cfdbd42793ba01.jpg

Source :- https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/twitter-timeline

Aha - thanks :)

Changed that.

However: whether or not you have that turned on, it doesn't change the fact that the most-liked tweets (in that thread, anyway) are still hidden behind that "View More Tweets" at the bottom.

I'm intrigued by the wording "tweets you are most likely to care about" (it appears next to that settings check box as an explanation of what the setting does). Based on what, exactly? You'd have thought that the number of likes by others would be a major ranking factor here but it appears not.

Not suggesting a conspiracy here, it's just that when a site decides what to show and what to bury away I feel I ought to know on what criteria that decision is made.

Just now, satch said:

I have just spent 5 minutes reading stuff about twitter and twitter settings and twitter timelines, what is wrong with me today?

Bored today. I thought I'd familiarise myself with Twitter.

At a related tangent, I find myself watching the guy from Facebook trying to defend their data breach being grilled live.

It was just there and had to be clicked on.

https://twitter.com/i/events/989096392013459457

Our committees are pretty good at this stuff.

42 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Bored today. I thought I'd familiarise myself with Twitter.

At a related tangent, I find myself watching the guy from Facebook trying to defend their data breach being grilled live.

It was just there and had to be clicked on.

https://twitter.com/i/events/989096392013459457

Our committees are pretty good at this stuff.

You need to be careful, the odd twitter tweet may seem OK but this can lead to a Facebook addiction and before long you will be posting photoshopped pictures of yourself on Instagram 24/7. Just say no to social media.

7 minutes ago, satch said:

You need to be careful, the odd twitter tweet may seem OK but this can lead to a Facebook addiction and before long you will be posting photoshopped pictures of yourself on Instagram 24/7. Just say no to social media.

My kids tease me that I have more social medica accounts and make more posts than them. And its true. And its all shite.

So glad my kids are grounded.