• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

BMI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43895508

'Most doctors say it is the best method they have, it's pretty accurate, can be measured simply in clinic and is acceptable to patients.

"It works in the vast majority of people, the vast majority of time," says Prof Naveed Sattar, from the University of Glasgow.

"If two people are the same height and one has a BMI of 25 and the other a BMI of 40, then excess body fat is the reason."'

And he's a Professor FFS!

Two  blokes. Both 6ft.

One skinny.

The other a body builder, pre show.

There. Just fucked up his gormless model.

IIRC BMI was created as a tool to allow the insurance industry to make an approximate assessment of someone without actually seeing them. If medical "professionals" are using it instead of their own eyes and common sense, then it doesn't say much for the years of training they allegedly put in.

6 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

It's not just bodybuilders.

It's not hard to pass a tape measure round someone's gut is it? 

But they dont really do that. Just height and weight are used.

Youd need to tweek the calculation by including some level of with i.e. shoulder width.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Youd need to tweek the calculation by including some level of with i.e. shoulder width.

I'm pretty sure gut size is a more important number than bmi. I think doctors are probably too lazy or embarrassed to do it and patients are a bunch of snowflakes and won't react well to being told they are fat! 

Why do people need a doctor to tell them they're fat anyway? Just look in the mirror! 

I'm not overweight and my waist measurement is less than the 90cm recommendation, I look proportionate for my height and build yet my BMI tells me I'm overweight! 

I just ignore most reported medical advice. Saturated fats are bad for you, then they're not and so on.

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

The doctor's surgery here has a machine that automates this in about 2 minutes. Measures your: height, weight, electrical resistivity, heartbeat,  and blood pressure. I think the electrical resistivity is used to approximate % body fat to be used alongside height and weight to help interpret the raw BMI figure.

Psychologically it is probably easier to tell someone that their body mass index is 40 rather than just say that they are fat.

Also, giving it a numerical value sounds scientific rather than just an unflattering opinion.

12 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I'm not overweight and my waist measurement is less than the 90cm recommendation, I look proportionate for my height and build yet my BMI tells me I'm overweight! 

I just ignore most reported medical advice. Saturated fats are bad for you, then they're not and so on.

Waist size is probably a much better measure than BMI.

The problem with fat is when its around the organs.

Mine is 25, that's overweight apparently. Cheeky fuckers. 

13 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The doctor's surgery here has a machine that automates this in about 2 minutes. Measures your: height, weight, electrical resistivity, heartbeat,  and blood pressure. I think the electrical resistivity is used to approximate % body fat to be used alongside height and weight to help interpret the raw BMI figure.

Does it measure the electrical resistivity just through the feet or through several different points?  Someone at an old workplace had a scale that measured through the feet - a bloke who had a big gut but legs like rocks due to cycling was given a measure of 14-15% body fat, we figured the charge wasn't going through his gut!

Edited by swissy_fit

2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Mine is 25, that's overweight apparently. Cheeky fuckers. 

Does it measure the electrical resistivity just through the feet or through several different points?  Someone at an old workplace had a scale that measured through the feet - a bloke who had a big gut but legs like rocks due to cycling was given a measure of 14-15% body fat, we figured the charge wasn't going through his gut!

It went from left thumb to right foot, if I recall correctly.

Mine is 20.9. everyone reckons I'm very skinny, but I'm not far from the middle of the green scale. 

I heard something yesterday that nearly half the people in the country can't see their feet if they look down! 

2 minutes ago, BBH said:

Mine is 20.9. everyone reckons I'm very skinny, but I'm not far from the middle of the green scale. 

I heard something yesterday that nearly half the people in the country can't see their feet if they look down! 

I am lucky to have very big feet.  👣

13 minutes ago, BBH said:

Depends on your build - at that BMI you'd probably be able to count my ribs as I'm big boned (I'm also fat in case anyone thinks I'm just using the hackneyed excuse for being heavy) but someone with a very small frame could be on the plump side.

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am lucky to have very big feet.  👣

Yeah me too would have to be seriously obese before they were out of sight.

I just input the measures from the younger period when I was playing a decent standard of hockey and had a six pack, apparently I only just escaped being overweight then at BMI 23.9 So I had body fat of 10-11% and could sprint-jog-sprint with twisting and turning for 80 minutes (six pack not possible without this) but was nearly overweight?  And now, I'm overweight but I can still surf and snowboard at 53?

It's a shit measure, don't know why they keep defending it.

Fortunately I suspect someone will bring out an AI-based app soon that will use big data, you'll probably be able to take a selfie in your swimming costume and have it analysed in detail. The North-West UK data may break the algorithm though.....

BMI  is a bit shit, for instance a lot of lean bodybuilders have a high BMI, but for most plebs its a reasonable pall park measure. % Body Fat, which often comes out similar to BMI but is much harder to measure, is probably a better measure if you are in anyway serious.

aren't all professional Rugby players technically obese?

I think the point is that for 90% of the population, it's a reasonable estimate of someones fitness, but skinny fat and heavy lean are the extremes where BMI is inappropriate.

note: waist measurement won't flag up skinny fat either. body fat % is probably the best indicator, but not as practical.

2 minutes ago, snagger said:

aren't all professional Rugby players technically obese?

I think the point is that for 90% of the population, it's a reasonable estimate of someones fitness, but skinny fat and heavy lean are the extremes where BMI is inappropriate.

note: waist measurement won't flag up skinny fat either. body fat % is probably the best indicator, but not as practical.

Snap

I think the problem with BMI is that it is the wrong measurement at the wrong time.  

There is much evidence now to suggest that something goes wrong and this results in weight gain.  At that point the bad thing has already happened and there'll be an uphill struggle just trying to get back to where you were before.   The problem isn't in stopping the obesity (because it makes you unwell), but stopping the something goes wrong, which makes you fat and unwell.  

I'm not sure what the something goes wrong is, but I'm convinced it is to do with diet.  And not calories in - calories out, but something deeper about how the body works with different food types.

IMO if they want to have a healthy country then you target the ones that look healthy (but are heading in the wrong direction, just not visible in weight gain yet).  The BMI thing makes those people say 'I'm doing well, anyway', and ignores their something is going wrong.

22 minutes ago, dgul said:

I think the problem with BMI is that it is the wrong measurement at the wrong time.  

There is much evidence now to suggest that something goes wrong and this results in weight gain.  At that point the bad thing has already happened and there'll be an uphill struggle just trying to get back to where you were before.   The problem isn't in stopping the obesity (because it makes you unwell), but stopping the something goes wrong, which makes you fat and unwell.  

I'm not sure what the something goes wrong is, but I'm convinced it is to do with diet.  And not calories in - calories out, but something deeper about how the body works with different food types.

IMO if they want to have a healthy country then you target the ones that look healthy (but are heading in the wrong direction, just not visible in weight gain yet).  The BMI thing makes those people say 'I'm doing well, anyway', and ignores their something is going wrong.

Carbs, carb, carbs, transfats and polyunsaturated fats.

27 minutes ago, dgul said:

Last week I had to stop eating wheat for the summer. If I eat anything more than trace amounts of wheat products during the summer months I get murderous hayfever, to the extent that the maximum dose of Piriton barely takes the edge off. If I don't eat wheat products, I'm asymptomatic for most of the summer. During the peak of the grass pollen season, i get it very mildly, and one Piriton before bed and one in the morning eliminates it completely.

I only had very mild hay fever right through till I was about 30 despite consuming huge amounts of bread, i do wonder if it is me that has changed or the bread.

For most people BMI probably is about right. It is a good indicator and t

Fact is that most people are not bodybuilders on steroids with huge amounts of muscle mass. And if you are a bodybuilder with a BMI of 40 then your heart is probably fucked anyway.

I think these days most people ARE overweight. It is 100% right. I was 82kg with a BMI of 26 last year - the overweight category. Even at that weight I was slim compared to most people around me.

I dropped 14kg back to 68kg and I can easily feel the difference in my body. More energy, stronger erections, less joint pain, 34 inch waist to 30inch. And yet people were asking why I lost so much weight and that I didnt need to. Well the health benefits say otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Bakez said:

For most people BMI probably is about right. It is a good indicator and t

Fact is that most people are not bodybuilders on steroids with huge amounts of muscle mass. And if you are a bodybuilder with a BMI of 40 then your heart is probably fucked anyway.

I think these days most people ARE overweight. It is 100% right. I was 82kg with a BMI of 26 last year - the overweight category. Even at that weight I was slim compared to most people around me.

I dropped 14kg back to 68kg and I can easily feel the difference in my body. More energy, stronger erections, less joint pain, 34 inch waist to 30inch. And yet people were asking why I lost so much weight and that I didnt need to. Well the health benefits say otherwise.

Yeah I get told I look bad if I lose weight. But I feel good.

It's age, partly - 50yo blokes who are very lean look haggard and grizzled but good in the body, same is true of women - go and see the older age groups in a triathlon and you see this.