• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Selling off the last of the family silver

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43906272

The Football Association has received an offer, thought to be worth £800m, to sell Wembley Stadium.

Shahid Khan, the owner of Fulham and NFL team Jacksonville Jaguars, is the prospective buyer.

It is understood the approach includes £500m for the stadium and £300m for the FA to keep the Club Wembley debenture and hospitality business.

now I know nowt about football and not interested in it, but surely the national stadium should not be in private hands. 

7 minutes ago, mattydread said:

The prized bits of Londonistan are foreign owned (Muzzers) why not fuckin Wembley. Init. bruv

Not a problem, wait long enough, brand them as terrorists, sieze their assets, sell them, rinse and repeat.

Its how the system rolls.

1 hour ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Sell it, get planning permission for a new stadium in Birmingham and hire the same builders that built the Millennium stadium to build a new one. 

Shit load of dosh leftover for grassroots football and a stadium centrally located. 

It's not that National stadium for everything.

Well, they managed to spend £1bln building the thing, so it can't be an easy decision.

But I agree -- just sell it and if you want build a new one using the lessons learnt from building the last one (ie, don't spend so much, you idiots).

3 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Sell it, get planning permission for a new stadium in Birmingham and hire the same builders that built the Millennium stadium to build a new one. 

Shit load of dosh leftover for grassroots football and a stadium centrally located. 

If only us Jocks did the same.

4 hours ago, Rave said:

It's already in private hands, the FA is not publically owned AFAIK.

It took 16 million of taxpayer and idiot tax (lottery) in the building of it, so I would argue that the FA have no right to sell it. 

If they do, they need to repay public money

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5661281/Demands-FA-refund-160m-taxpayers-lottery-money-Wembley.html

Posted (edited)

You do wonder how the FA managed to blow a billion on that loss making White Elephant. I think it is the most expensive football stadium ever built. Particularly stupid as a functional modern ground could have been put up for much less. It is not even that easy to get to compared with its counterparts such as the Millennium stadium in Cardiff. I am not sure why any sane person would want to build a big football venue in Brent

Edited by Virgil Caine

4 hours ago, One percent said:

It took 16 million of taxpayer and idiot tax (lottery) in the building of it, so I would argue that the FA have no right to sell it. 

If they do, they need to repay public money

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5661281/Demands-FA-refund-160m-taxpayers-lottery-money-Wembley.html

You'd hope that whatever branch of government lent them the money would have insisted on securing it via a charge on the place. You'd hope...😮

I don't really have a strong opinion either way on this one TBH. On the one hand I'd instinctively prefer it if the FA continued to own the national stadium. On the other hand I've always thought it a bit ridiculous that the second largest stadium in Europe seems to get used, on average, about 10 times a year as far as I can tell.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Makes sense...especially as the FA has their centre up the road in Burton..Allow Wembley to be home of an NFL team.  It started to become less special, when they started playing FA Cup semi finals there...

Edited by Dave Beans

I have only been there a handful of times but it is excruciating how embarrassing the trip there is. It is the arse end of one of our ugliest industrial estates.

Surely we could place it somewhere a bit nicer?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have only been there a handful of times but it is excruciating how embarrassing the trip there is. It is the arse end of one of our ugliest industrial estates.

Surely we could place it somewhere a bit nicer?

The old Wembley Stadium was a dump inside but at least there were some historical and emotional attachments to the place. Its replacement may be more functional but it always strikes me as being anonymous. If I did not know a televised game was being played there in advance I would not be able to recognise the venue just from the view inside the ground. I don't really understand why all big football matches should be played in London when there are plenty of venues dotted around the country that are just as good. This particularly applies to England friendly games that often struggle to fill the new stadium. 

Edited by Virgil Caine