• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Southmartin

DOSBODS: Win

It has been years since I contributed to the main forums there. There are only so many times you can watch the same arguments go around and around again.

I used to frequent the "Off Topic" area because of the quality of the analysis, the banter and the people.

So when almost everyone disappeared, that sub-forum died a death.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, DTMark said:

It has been years since I contributed to the main forums there. There are only so many times you can watch the same arguments go around and around again.

I used to frequent the "Off Topic" area because of the quality of the analysis, the banter and the people.

So when almost everyone disappeared, that sub-forum died a death.

Agreed. I like to come to a conclusion about a topic in my mind then I do a few things:

• read about the topic on BBC website (if it has a HYS) and order the HYS results by most popular
  • read about it here and learn in deeper detail
  • reevaluate my position (if required, though this is rare TBH)
  • Go to the Guardian site and mock them using facts and data
Edited by Southmartin

31 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Just occurred to me, that since being (relatively) active here, i've not been to ToS in over a month

Credit where it's due then. Scratch up a win for this site ūüėČ

I stopped going on there late last year as all my posts were entering a moderation queue and nothing of what I wrote was being allowed through. Clearly I upset people with my occasional right of centre views, although most of what I wrote was unrelated benign gobbledygook.

2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I stopped going on there late last year as all my posts were entering a moderation queue and nothing of what I wrote was being allowed through. Clearly I upset people with my occasional right of centre views, although most of what I wrote was unrelated benign gobbledygook.

There was a phase when a stack of members' accounts were put under moderation. I don't read absolutely everything, indeed I often 'miss the action' yet I couldn't see any particular reason for this. A knee-jerk reaction?

When I visit, everything still works as it ever did and there's no moderation on the account.

And I would suppose that many of my views are right-of-centre despite what the political compass test thing says (exactly centrist). I didn't agree with everyone, nor vice-versa, but I don't remember the place as being full of Leftist loons. Maybe the loss of so many people to the right of that position changed the dynamics? I haven't read anything on there in a fair while. It's a bit like walking around a condemned block of flats shortly to be demolished.

Well i just visited TOS for the first time in a while (very rarely post there now) but it was interesting to see on the main page that it looks like the governments FLS scheme is going to end 

It`s still has a purposes but for me it`s like DT mark says it`s the same argument done to death but there are many that may be hearing that argument for the first time 

I thought you were going to say you'd won the £121m jackpot or something. If anyone here has won, a donation of 10% would be welcome. :Old:

I quite like ToS personally. Some of the posters there are quite entertaining/crazy but I think that makes an interesting forum :ph34r:

The all-time most online on DOSBOSDS seems to have been broken yesterday (430). I presume it includes visits from non-members, else it must be fake, being higher than the # of members. Before that, the record was from 2017 ISTR, so it is not like it is a daily occurrence. 

6 minutes ago, Everentt said:

The all-time most online on DOSBOSDS seems to have been broken yesterday (430). I presume it includes visits from non-members, else it must be fake, being higher than the # of members. Before that, the record was from 2017 ISTR, so it is not like it is a daily occurrence. 

That is a little odd, could be a link from somewhere and yes IIRC too most online has been long standing number, @spunko2010

- anything in the stats/ logs to indicate a source/ landing page to explain that?

@onlyme I don't have any sort of stats logging or anything enabled for the server. The only logs are via Cloudflare (a proxy, so kind of useless and through SSL).

I could add Clicky or Google Analytics or something if people are that interested. It is probably just shitty Chinese bots though.

Was yesterday the day that the database server was offline for some of the time? (Memory isn't what it was)

Leading to people repeatedly visiting the site to see if it's back up. Some of it was loading, but it wouldn't load individual threads.

Leading to an unusually high online user count since each was counted correctly as a separate visit?

Just now, spunko2010 said:

@onlyme I don't have any sort of stats logging or anything enabled for the server. The only logs are via Cloudflare (a proxy, so kind of useless and through SSL).

I could add Clicky or Google Analytics or something if people are that interested. It is probably just shitty Chinese bots though.

More Google, nah!  

Seen what has happened to Order-order? - complete rout.

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Was yesterday the day that the database server was offline for some of the time? (Memory isn't what it was)

Leading to people repeatedly visiting the site to see if it's back up. Some of it was loading, but it wouldn't load individual threads.

Leading to an unusually high online user count since each was counted correctly as a separate visit?

I wasn't around yesterday but I didn't get any Pingdom reports about it being down, I think that was Mon or Tue...

Just checked Cloudflare, there were 1400 Unique Visitors yesterday.  Only 6 "suspicious" visits.

Just had a thought,  one cause might be that all images posted are hosted through DOSBODS.co.uk now automatically. And they might be showing in Google Images etc so people might be finding them there if they're being crawled.

7 hours ago, Southmartin said:

Just occurred to me, that since being (relatively) active here, i've not been to ToS in over a month

You realise this is like the Hotel California, right?

Around 2003 the concept of a website with a forum discussing a HPC was quite an alternative viewpoint.

Some of the ideas suggested for supporting house prices seemed insane.

One poster predicted the only way for a government to avoid a collapse would be setting interest rates as close as possible to zero for a decade.

Along with Mumsnet it's still one of my favourites.

1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Around 2003 the concept of a website with a forum discussing a HPC was quite an alternative viewpoint.

Some of the ideas suggested for supporting house prices seemed insane.

One poster predicted the only way for a government to avoid a collapse would be setting interest rates as close as possible to zero for a decade.

Along with Mumsnet it's still one of my favourites.

I've just had my first peep on TOS for months. Big topic now is "Looks like we are heading into recession".  At last I've been holding off investing since 2009! Might even buy some crypto currencies.

16 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I've just had my first peep on TOS for months. Big topic now is "Looks like we are heading into recession".  At last I've been holding off investing since 2009! Might even buy some crypto currencies.

Its been a bloodbath in most crypto currencies for months. Big money is manipulating it and spoiling the fun¬†ūü§§

8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Its been a bloodbath in most crypto currencies for months. Big money is manipulating it and spoiling the fun¬†ūü§§

What a difference a few days makes. I looked at the Altcoin thread earlier this week, there were some optimistic comments. 

11 hours ago, Southmartin said:

Me too. I am very surprised by the fact that I don't feel the need to go there any more! (Happy here!)

30 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Its been a bloodbath in most crypto currencies for months.

On a 12 month time horizon its been a spectacular bull run. 

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

2 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

On a 12 month time horizon its been a spectacular bull run. 

Bull run 2 may be just starting.

The problem with the other site is if you're not interested in a house price crash ie own your own place there isn't really much interest there.

Not posted on Tod in donkeys,  have a look over there every so often but as mentioned it's a lot of the same arguments and people arguing over the same laboured points ad infinitum

2 hours ago, UmBongo said:

DOSBODs is pretty lively. I've even made it my home page, replacing ToS! ;)

Just looked for the first time in ages, HPC Off topic has only had two posts in the last 24 hours. It really is dead there now. Shame as it was such a good forum. I learned a lot there.