• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
shindigger

Jeff Beck

4 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

When I looked it up I was amazed how early in the history of the electric guitar the talk box was first used.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box

Interesting that Pete Townsend invented the talk box, according to Pete Townsend.

This is the same Pete Townsend who also invented the Internet, according to Pete Townsend.

2 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Interesting that Pete Townsend invented the talk box, according to Pete Townsend.

This is the same Pete Townsend who also invented the Internet, according to Pete Townsend.

It must be very frustrating to invent / discover something which, as far as you know is entirely original, only to find out someone else has got there either first or independently.

I can think of differential calculus (Newton / Liebnitz, not clear who was first) and natural selection, Darwin predating Wallace but not publishing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

It must be very frustrating to invent / discover something which, as far as you know is entirely original, only to find out someone else has got there either first or independently.

I can think of differential calculus (Newton / Liebnitz, not clear who was first) and natural selection, Darwin predating Wallace but not publishing.

The TalkBox in its earliest manifestations goes back to the late 1930s and early 1940s when most of the rock musicians of the 1970s were children. Many would have heard gizmos like the Sonovox  from listening to things like Sparky's Magic Piano which incidentally used to scare the shit out of me when I was little

Definitely creepy undertones to that story.

Surprising that a piano which invited young children to 'rub their hands over my keys'  was not arrested as part of operation Yewtree.

Edited by Virgil Caine

14 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

He's technically very good, but he probably should have put some effort into actually writing songs. He'd certainly have made a lot more money that way.

Can anybody name the top five songs that he's written?

Wikipedia is s little sparse on the subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Jeff_Beck

Top 5? I'm not sure he's even written 5 unless you count collaborations with others. He's basically a session musician and blues player. 

He lives near me, never seen him out and about though. 

Oddly Davina Mccall lives pretty much next to him but has an even bigger house despite having about 1/100th of talent. 

40 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

He's technically very good, but he probably should have put some effort into actually writing songs. He'd certainly have made a lot more money that way.

Look up Riverhall Wadhurst - he's not short of a bob or two. 

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

He lives near me, never seen him out and about though. 

Oddly Davina Mccall lives pretty much next to him but has an even bigger house despite having about 1/100th of talent. 

Look up Riverhall Wadhurst - he's not short of a bob or two. 

Are you cunning plan? 🤔

3 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

No, but he had a huge hit with Silver Lining (written by someone else), must have made some cash off that.

Posted (edited)

Page playing it here but Beck played on the recording.

I posted the first clip somewhat in surprise really as his work had largely passed me by. I think the Beatles cover is inspired.

I cant stand Eric Clapton. Bet he pinches himself every morning.

This is from Blow Up i think. Top clip.

Edited by shindigger

32 minutes ago, shindigger said:

"Its fucking obvious".😤

Re-reading those lyrics, I do wonder whether he's a contributor to the DOSBODS thread!

Flying across the country, and getting fat

Inspiration for Spinal Tap, allegedly.

3 out of the top 5 greatest guitarists according to Rolling Stone magazine played for The Yardbirds.