• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

DIY help - bannisters

The back-story: we have several cats and one of them has a habit of scenting things. So we had to get rid of our old sofa. Not wanting to spend big money on a new one while we're living here (because we can't keep the offending cat in another room by itself) we bought a second-hand sofa to replace it.

The new one is only slightly bigger than the old one. However the delivery drivers couldn't get it into the living room. It is just too big. So it currently occupies the entire hallway. It is stuck there.

Lifting and twisting it brings it within inches of fitting through the gap (through the door which is about where the camera shot was taken from) but: in order to get it in, we're going to have to remove the front door (which is off the right hand side of this photo) and that lowest rung of the bannisters.

I'm not good at practical things like this but I'd give it a go. House is rented. It's a bit shabby. But we do plan to move on so all that matters is how likely it is that the bannister can be put back the way it was.

Just guessing, it's held in place vertically by a dowel into the floor below and another one connecting it with the diagonal above. Would be more obvious were it not painted.

Based on the picture (ignore the debris, it's all a mess here at the moment), how likely do you think that is that we can achieve that? How would you do it? Would you even bother trying?

You may observe that one of the bannisters is broken. This was caused by my mother somehow, and I have no idea how, "walking into it" while going up the stairs last week when she visited, and snapping it. But that will probably just glue back together.

Thanks!

stairs.jpg

19 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Would you even bother trying?

Not in a million years. Sell cat. Sell sofa. If your missus complains sell her. Job done.

It's painted, so just take a saw to the bits you need removed, hopefully just the decorative bit of the post, then glue them back together, then fill and paint. It will be invisible if you do it right, or even half decently. A wee dowel could (should really) be added to connect the bits you chop off, just mark carefully before drilling the holes for the dowel. If you need the whole hand rail removed I suspect  cutting the first post under the rail, then using a rubber mallet (or a hammer with padding taped to it's head) to knock the rail free of the spindles would work. Remember its painted, so any disasters can be made good with some filler and a coat of paint.

You could maybe instead build some sort of structure to lift the sofa in through the upstairs window, this is depending on whether your window opens far enough of course. A van can be used for this, don't do it with one which has a weak fibre glass roof though!

Let us know how you get on with it.

Good luck!

Fucking hell, look at those responses above ^^

Just as well I'm here or you would have lost all hope. 

@NTB and @onlyme are two posters I would be keen to hear from on this one, they always sound dead hand with this kinda thing.

Only other thing I can think of is taking the sofa apart, some you can take the backs and/r arms off. Ours was delivered like that.

Thanks..

Yes, the right answer is indeed to get rid of the cat. Problem is, if we had him adopted, it is possible that he could be PTS because of this behaviour, and I can't do that.

The sofa will not dismantle in any way. It doesn't have "feet" that you can remove. It's a one piece thing.

The window frames are all character-style single piece wooden ones which frankly are about 30% filler and they're all the same, none of them will come out and even if they did I think the sofa is bigger. 250 year old cottage, tiny windows.

Must admit the "saw it off and glue it back together with a supporting dowel" was what sprang to mind. Good point about it being painted and that would help disguise the "join".

26 minutes ago, DTMark said:

The back-story: we have several cats and one of them has a habit of scenting things. So we had to get rid of our old sofa. Not wanting to spend big money on a new one while we're living here (because we can't keep the offending cat in another room by itself) we bought a second-hand sofa to replace it.

The new one is only slightly bigger than the old one. However the delivery drivers couldn't get it into the living room. It is just too big. So it currently occupies the entire hallway. It is stuck there.

Lifting and twisting it brings it within inches of fitting through the gap (through the door which is about where the camera shot was taken from) but: in order to get it in, we're going to have to remove the front door (which is off the right hand side of this photo) and that lowest rung of the bannisters.

I'm not good at practical things like this but I'd give it a go. House is rented. It's a bit shabby. But we do plan to move on so all that matters is how likely it is that the bannister can be put back the way it was.

Just guessing, it's held in place vertically by a dowel into the floor below and another one connecting it with the diagonal above. Would be more obvious were it not painted.

Based on the picture (ignore the debris, it's all a mess here at the moment), how likely do you think that is that we can achieve that? How would you do it? Would you even bother trying?

You may observe that one of the bannisters is broken. This was caused by my mother somehow, and I have no idea how, "walking into it" while going up the stairs last week when she visited, and snapping it. But that will probably just glue back together.

Thanks!

stairs.jpg

First, terminology. The banister you have is comprised of a newel post, a rail and multiple balusters. See the gap at the top of the broken baluster with what looks like a nail perpendicular to the rail? You need a block of wood and a hammer. Put the wood against the top bit and hammer in an upstairs direction to remove.

The bottom section may be nailed or doweled. Try pulling vertically with a bit of jiggling in case it is doweled. If no movement, use the block again and hammer in a downstairs direction. This should free it. Further balusters can be removed the same way.

Refitting is a reversal of removal as a Haynes manual would say☺️

4 minutes ago, NTB said:

First, terminology. The banister you have is comprised of a newel post, a rail and multiple balusters. See the gap at the top of the broken baluster with what looks like a nail perpendicular to the rail? You need a block of wood and a hammer. Put the wood against the top bit and hammer in an upstairs direction to remove.

The bottom section may be nailed or doweled. Try pulling vertically with a bit of jiggling in case it is doweled. If no movement, use the block again and hammer in a downstairs direction. This should free it. Further balusters can be removed the same way.

Refitting is a reversal of removal as a Haynes manual would say☺️

Thanks!

I'm trying to summon the motivation to start on this. But, at the moment, to get from the living room to the kitchen and vice-versa requires going via the garden. A project for this evening. And probably the next few days.. there may be some update photos ;)

I would climb over the top of the sofa but I'm not as young as I used to be.

44 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Thanks!

Wouldn't it be easier to disassemble the sofa ?

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Thanks!

I'm trying to summon the motivation to start on this. But, at the moment, to get from the living room to the kitchen and vice-versa requires going via the garden. A project for this evening. And probably the next few days.. there may be some update photos ;)

I would climb over the top of the sofa but I'm not as young as I used to be.

If you've still got my number, feel free to ring me if needed, otherwise I can PM it to you.

It might be an idea to score the paint around the bottom of the baluster to limit chip out and enable it to free up more easily.

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Wouldn't it be easier to disassemble the sofa ?

It has a sort of faux-leather skin wrapped around the whole thing which would have to come off first to access any "joins".

It does have four one inch-high blocks in the corner which form "feet" which will unscrew (which don't create much extra manouverability) but I don't think that doing that will provide access to anything.

I shall go and study it further. As it's now stuck occupying almost precisely 100% of the width of the hallway that's harder than it would otherwise be.

Perhaps the moral of this story: measure things before you agree to buy them.

3 minutes ago, NTB said:

If you've still got my number, feel free to ring me if needed, otherwise I can PM it to you.

It might be an idea to score the paint around the bottom of the baluster to limit chip out and enable it to free up more easily.

Really appreciated, thanks.

Edited by DTMark

Just now, DTMark said:

It has a sort of faux-leather skin wrapped around the whole thing which would have to come off first to access any "joins".

It does have four inch-high blocks in the corner which form "feet" which will unscrew (which don't create much extra manouverability) but I don't think that doing that will provide access to anything.

I shall go and study it further. As it's now stuck occupying almost precisely 100% of the width of the hallway that's harder than it would otherwise be.

Or don't have a cat that pisses on the sofa 🙂

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

It does have four one inch-high blocks in the corner which form "feet" which will unscrew (which don't create much extra manouverability) but I don't think that doing that will provide access to anything.

Really appreciated, thanks.

Just a thought but have you tried maneuvering it vertically (one end on the floor) as well as horizontally?

Try and locate any additional fixing bolts/screws before attempting to dismantle - magnet swiped over the obvious areas as they may be really hidden under layer of paint/dowels/filler. Removing any additional fixings will make disassembly much easier and help prevent damage.