• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Van Lady

Gardening What are you sowing now?

14 hours ago, spunko said:

@Van Lady

Also , don't know if anyone is interested but David Austin died yesterday. I have a few  Austin english roses, they are quite stunning if you want something to grow up a wall, they're not cheap compared to regular roses but worth it. My favourite rose (not an Austin) is Black baccara. Stunning!

Shame. Thanks for the update.  Great roses as you say. Peter Beales also stocks some lovely old roses.

I grew some old roses in my last place and, whilst they were beautiful when in flower, the short flowering season put me off them. In this house I have only planted reliably repeat flowering varieties.

14 hours ago, One percent said:

Beautiful. No, I didn’t know that, very sad. My roses too are David Austin. I think this might be my favourite one (at least at the moment) 

B772B76B-0AE3-498C-A607-FC6AE76BAF6D.jpeg

Absolutely stunning - what's it called?

On 21/12/2018 at 14:54, One percent said:

Near your outside door as the smell from it is wonderful 👍

If you get the chance to visit David Austin’s the smell is amazing. I’m lucky enough to have it on my doorstep. Only four months till Bloomageddon!

Just transferred a few Apache chilli seedlings out of the propagator and onto the window cill. Didn't grow much last year, hoping to make amends this year.

22 hours ago, NTB said:

Just transferred a few Apache chilli seedlings out of the propagator and onto the window cill. Didn't grow much last year, hoping to make amends this year.

Get some cool white 6500k CFLs from ebay. Wilkos for some clip on bulb holders and a timer plug. Pound shop or ebay for one of those mylar silver emergency blankets. Assemble into a grow tent or box.

Been using this for a few years now to start off things like chillis and tomatoes, or anything that benefits from an early start.

Or at the very least make a reflector from kitchen foil to go behind the plants, just be careful they don't get cooked on a sunny day.

@sarahbell are you going to get one of those electrified fences?

5 hours ago, null; said:

Get some cool white 6500k CFLs from ebay. Wilkos for some clip on bulb holders and a timer plug. Pound shop or ebay for one of those mylar silver emergency blankets. Assemble into a grow tent or box.

Been using this for a few years now to start off things like chillis and tomatoes, or anything that benefits from an early start.

Or at the very least make a reflector from kitchen foil to go behind the plants, just be careful they don't get cooked on a sunny day.

You can get a grow tray from Wilko which has an electric current that heats the plants. Doesn't use much electricity at all, I leave mine on all night when the temperate outside goes below zero. I got mine for about £15. Admittedly it doesn't produce light unless you get the more expensive model but I haven't had problems on a south facing windowsill.

I've got loads of sweet peas growing. Apparently you can start to harden them off in a coldframe or greenhouse in Feburary but I'm not brave enough.

Sowed loads of petunias a fortnight ago (surfinia/trailing type) but so far nothing.