DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Gardening What are you sowing now?

LC1

RE my last post, I thought this Elaine Ingham (top soil biologist) video was interesting, in particular the bit about bacterial/fungal balance suiting different plant types. Only 9 minutes:

• Informative 2
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spunko

• sarahbell

• The Grey Man

• LC1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This bloody cold weather better stop soon, it's now getting ridiculous what i'm moving in and out every night 

Bumper crop of cherries this year. 

Started pulling these May 2nd. About 100g each, one a day, have about 30 or so.  Went in the ground 2nd week in March.  Fully harvested by end of the month, unless I collect seed.  But I want to use t

Posted Images

The Grey Man
13 hours ago, spunko said:

Is that in case one dies, don't think I've got the space for two if I have to leave them both in until near harvest time...

Tend to get a bigger pumpkin if fertilised from another. You only really need it for the male flowers on the 2nd plant so you really only need to keep it alive as such not give your best zone.

• Informative 1
Lightly Toasted
On 11/04/2021 at 20:06, spunko said:

Never mind tomatoes, aubergines are the real bastards, needing a constant soil temperate of around 28C. Even in my house on the windowsill above the radiator it drops way below that at night when the heating goes off.

I've never tried aubergines but I germinate finicky seeds in a covered washing up bowl half-filled with water + a fishtank heater + thermometer + the seeds in a floating plastic box, sandwiched between two well-dampened sheets of bog roll. I can see when the shoots come out, at which point I carefully transplant into pots.

The Grey Man

This is an accidental sowing of a Rowan. The parent is on the street outside. I made a poor attempt at removing it from this Lilly pot I have a year or more ago.

It now lives and maybe in two years time I will release this chap/chapess in a sneaky wild planting. I have no space.20210422_202008.thumb.jpg.36441aa7c504066a57d1a6bc252eeddc.jpg

The Grey Man

One of my Yuccas looked sick at the end of last summer. Posted a pic back then. The twin plant a few feet away is fine. The sick one coming back with new growth from the top.

My conclusion is someone threw some thing dodgy from the kitchen on it.

They have now been disinherited.20210426_194746.thumb.jpg.2f6bb631e6a11414e9505039428b7dfa.jpg

• Lol 3
choochoo

This bloody cold weather better stop soon, it's now getting ridiculous what i'm moving in and out every night o.O

IMG_20210429_224810.thumb.jpg.f05ca8c1e70504f6f8966332668e62d2.jpg

• Informative 1
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 5
The Grey Man
52 minutes ago, choochoo said:

This bloody cold weather better stop soon, it's now getting ridiculous what i'm moving in and out every night o.O

Nice growing there. A lot of TLC.

I was in a local B n M yesterday. They had some chilli plants..9 inches high with a few fruits on. I heard from the people in front, they were close to 9 quid a plant.

They have  nice entrance, covered with glass, warm.

The chilli plants...poor sods..outside in a cold wind.

They will go the same way their Toms did two weeks back in hot weather. Now cold. What a waste!

• Lol 1
Bilbo
11 hours ago, choochoo said:

That's what you should be doing.. out in the day and back in at night!

Don't know where you live but in East Anglia the end of the second week in May is the fist time you would think about putting tomato plants out.

Tomato plants don't like a setback, temperatures below 10degC will be detrimental.

Think chilli plants suffer more!

• Agree 2
jamanda

I've had to bite the bullet and put my tomatoes into unheated greenhouses.  It was either that or not use the kitchen for a few weeks.  So far, they're OK.

LC1

My tomato seedlings are still only an inch high and not got any true leaves yet. They're growing very slowly, and I'm not sure if it's the temperature, or maybe my homemade compost mix is not very good (mix of stuff from the compost bin and some peat-free compost from Aldi which is very woody-looking and I suspect a bit shit).

LC1
7 minutes ago, jamanda said:

they've got time yet.  How long have they been planted, and how warm is it?

Can't remember when, but more than a week. Maybe 2 weeks. Outside in the sunshine during the day (Manchester), on a windowsill overnight. 

What do people here use as seed potting mix? Store bought stuff or homemade?

choochoo
1 hour ago, LC1 said:

Can't remember when, but more than a week. Maybe 2 weeks. Outside in the sunshine during the day (Manchester), on a windowsill overnight. 

What do people here use as seed potting mix? Store bought stuff or homemade?

I'm by no means an expert, but everything I've read says they shouldn't be outside until they've developed a good bit more than being an inch high, and even then they need broken in gently. If they are outside in strong sunshine and cold winds, not sure they'll stand up to it?

• Agree 2
LC1
10 minutes ago, jamanda said:

I'd let them live on the windowsill only for now.  Too tender to be outside.

I'll do that. I like to take a tough love approach :)

• Cheers 1
The Grey Man

This is my pot based Brown Turkey Fig. I had lots of figs last year..BUT...I was over zealous in protecting it. This year it is protected but lots of sun so I am hoping they will properly ripen this year.

20210502_193743.thumb.jpg.adcf7367e6704fccbc09c08eb8c64e28.jpg

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
spunko
On 30/04/2021 at 10:57, jamanda said:

I've had to bite the bullet and put my tomatoes into unheated greenhouses.  It was either that or not use the kitchen for a few weeks.  So far, they're OK.

I've had my tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse for weeks. Same with my chilli plants. It really doesn't matter too much, a greenhouse will always be 2-3C hotter than outside even on a cold night, it's very unlikely now in May that a greenhouse will drop to -4C which is the required temperature to kill tomatoes IIRC, at least down my way.

On 02/05/2021 at 19:41, The Grey Man said:

This is my pot based Brown Turkey Fig. I had lots of figs last year..BUT...I was over zealous in protecting it. This year it is protected but lots of sun so I am hoping they will properly ripen this year.

20210502_193743.thumb.jpg.adcf7367e6704fccbc09c08eb8c64e28.jpg

Mine died over winter, I stupidly left it in the cold Westerly winds. Should have brought it into the greenhouse. Is yours in a pot?

• Agree 1
jamanda

My friends fig does well outside all year, but is next to the house in a sort of low courtyard.

Tomatoes are surviving in the greenhouses so far.  Cucumber still on kitchen windowsill.  Planted 4 seeds.  Only one grown.

The Grey Man
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, spunko said:

I've had my tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse for weeks. Same with my chilli plants. It really doesn't matter too much, a greenhouse will always be 2-3C hotter than outside even on a cold night, it's very unlikely now in May that a greenhouse will drop to -4C which is the required temperature to kill tomatoes IIRC, at least down my way.

Mine died over winter, I stupidly left it in the cold Westerly winds. Should have brought it into the greenhouse. Is yours in a pot?

Yeah. I think its about 65cm diameter one.

I think i have about 6 inches of broken rubble gravel in the base so it dosent have wet feet.

Due a repot this autumn.

This is about 7 years old. I think I have murdered about 3 before this! Oldest I have got to.

Edited by The Grey Man
  • Agree 1
Bilbo
6 hours ago, spunko said:

-4 Deg . Balls and brass monkeys!

Will try to keep mine over 10 Deg C.

Looking like planting them out next Monday 😉

choochoo
11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

-4 Deg . Balls and brass monkeys!

Will try to keep mine over 10 Deg C.

Looking like planting them out next Monday 😉

Yep me too, think I'll get mine in their final position this weekend. If we get another cold spell after the 17th May I'm screwed though :/

image.thumb.png.5f66e24494799f87702be264d81950a6.png

feed

Very modest, but tasty..  I over sow, so need thinning and will have a couple of these a day for 6 weeks or so, unless it’s warm early and they bolt.  Still, makes me happy that I’m now harvesting and should get something out of the garden everyday until Nov.  

IMAG3685.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 4
spunko
9 hours ago, feed said:

Very modest, but tasty..  I over sow, so need thinning and will have a couple of these a day for 6 weeks or so, unless it’s warm early and they bolt.  Still, makes me happy that I’m now harvesting and should get something out of the garden everyday until Nov.  

IMAG3685.jpg

Is that a mooli?

Bobthebuilder
27 minutes ago, spunko said:

Is that a mooli?

Turkish radish I thought.