By Frank Hovis
I can't honestly say that I'm surprised; disappointed maybe. The failure to pay taxes continues a Bono theme.
Shame of the Bono charity bullies: Probe forces rock star's foundation to come clean about abuse of staff in South Africa
U2 singer's ONE charity subjected staff to a 'toxic' culture of bullying and abuse Executive was demoted after refusing to have sex with elderly Tanzanian MP UK manager left a 'broken woman' after 18 months of belittling and humiliation Charity also failed to pay taxes despite campaigning fiercely against tax evasion Bono says he is 'deeply sorry' and has promised to meet victims in person NGO backed by David Cameron and Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg among others
By Zanu Bob
This comment from Masked Tulip reminded of one of my personal bete noires
' I read something a few months back looking at the top charities in the UK and, IIRC, most were only spending about 40% of charitable income at most - the other 60% going on running costs - i.e. salaries and pensions. '
' The British Red Cross also paid its highest earner £173,000, about £30,000 less than in the 2015 study. Fourteen of the top 100 charities paid their highest earners more than £300,000, compared with 12 in 2015. Thirty-seven charities paid more than £200,000, compared with 32 in the 2015 study. But some charities paid their highest earners considerably less than in previous years. The highest-paid employee at the London Clinic earned between £540,000 and £550,000, compared with £850,000 to £860,000 in the 2015 study. The salary awarded to the highest-paid employee at St Andrew's Healthcare has fallen by more than £300,000 since the 2015 study.
The study also includes the total number of staff in each organisation who were paid more than £60,000. Charities are required to state in their annual accounts how many employees earn above this amount. Save the Children International employed the highest number of staff earning above £60,000 (375), and was followed by the British Council with 339. In the top 100, the International Rescue Committee had the fewest employees earning more than £60,000, paying just two more than this amount.
But others in the sector urge restraint over senior executive pay levels. Stella Smith, a governance consultant and Third Sector columnist, says that it is not always clear what special qualities senior manager have that justify such salaries, and neither is there any evidence that over time high pay results in better performance. She believes it is unwise for organisations to become so dependent on individual staff members that they feel they have to pay them substantial amounts.
"If charities don't have enough skilled people, surely it would make more sense to invest in developing their staff instead of paying senior managers more," she says.
'SOME of the UK’s best known charities are facing potentially catastrophic deficits in their pension funds with the top 40 having a combined £5.5bn black hole in their accounts.
There are fears that charities will be forced to use public donations to plug the gaps in their funds.
The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association (GDBA) received more than £60m from the public in its last financial year, but more than 10% of that amount was used to pay off the pension fund deficit of £22m.'
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.