• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  

So I just had the TV on in the background and I thought that I heard an advert for an adopt an orca charity. Surely not? How can you adopt an orca? Do they need adopting in the first place? Did anyone ask them? Do they pop around for dinner once adopted and do you become liable for their student loans?

I mean, are orcas so vulnerable that they need people adopting them?

I went on google to have a look and was surprised to find not just one charity allowing you to adopt an orca but several. There appears to be specific orca adopting charities. Several of the major wildlife charities also have orca adopting schemes - do you need to be a non-hideously white cis-neutral Guaridan reading, Steptoe supporting couple to adopt?

Seems, for your cash, you get a photo of an orca. Not sure what else you get.

OK, rant over - surely this is just a means of funding those marine biologists whom, to me, appear to have great lives, sailing around the world, scuba-diving, appearing on wildlife documentaries, etc, rather than practically helping your average orca?

8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

At least Orcas exist.

Do you think people would support a 'Adopt an Ork' charity?

Probably got more chance with 'adopt a nork' charity.

Put me down for a couple.

21 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

So I just had the TV on in the background and I thought that I heard an advert for an adopt an orca charity. Surely not? How can you adopt an orca? Do they need adopting in the first place? Did anyone ask them? Do they pop around for dinner once adopted and do you become liable for their student loans?

I mean, are orcas so vulnerable that they need people adopting them?

I went on google to have a look and was surprised to find not just one charity allowing you to adopt an orca but several. There appears to be specific orca adopting charities. Several of the major wildlife charities also have orca adopting schemes - do you need to be a non-hideously white cis-neutral Guaridan reading, Steptoe supporting couple to adopt?

Seems, for your cash, you get a photo of an orca. Not sure what else you get.

OK, rant over - surely this is just a means of funding those marine biologists whom, to me, appear to have great lives, sailing around the world, scuba-diving, appearing on wildlife documentaries, etc, rather than practically helping your average orca?

If you adopt an orca, does that mean you get a bit of one?

tuna-700x500.jpg

Posted (edited)

Of course they don't seem to go into much detail about exactly where the money goes.

No donate and adopt a cod or herring yet.  I expect it's size discrimination.

Edited by twocents

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ve got a goldfish bowl, I’ll take two in. 

I think one of my Koi is pregnant - £50 and I will let you name it and send a photo.

Strictly limited to the first 50 applicants.

43 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think one of my Koi is pregnant - £50 and I will let you name it and send a photo.

Strictly limited to the first 50 applicants.

Once their tied in try an annual or monthly subscription and you will keep them updated with its progress. Might be an idea to set up a website and put some photographs of it. Update them regularly and introduce its friends to keep their interest.

We were given a subscription to a donkey sanctuary as a Christmas present. That's what they did. I doubt the sanctuary had a donkey, just pictures on a website!

5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Once their tied in try an annual or monthly subscription and you will keep them updated with its progress. Might be an idea to set up a website and put some photographs of it. Update them regularly and introduce its friends to keep their interest.

We were given a subscription to a donkey sanctuary as a Christmas present. That's what they did. I doubt the sanctuary had a donkey, just pictures on a website!

Well, that says a lot about what whoever gave it to you thinks of you.

25 minutes ago, Byron said:

Well, that says a lot about what whoever gave it to you thinks of you.

Yeah, that's not a present unless you've asked for it - it's someone giving to charity and not buying you a present. They get the warm glow of doing something good and you get to feel bad for being annoyed that you didn't get a present. Wankers.

I remember a few years ago watching I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here and David Guest was one of the contestants.  I think then that the celebs did do it for a charity.  Anyway, one of the other D-listers asked him which charity he was supporting and he replied "young Chinese girls with herpes".  It really made me laugh.  However, I daren't google it as it could actually exist.

:D