• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Edubirdies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43956001

YouTube stars are being paid to sell academic cheating, a BBC investigation has found. 

More than 250 channels are promoting EduBirdie, based in Ukraine, which allows students to buy essays, rather than doing the work themselves. 

YouTube said it would help creators understand they cannot promote dishonest behaviour. 

Sam Gyimah, Universities Minister for England, says YouTube has a moral responsibility to act.

He said he was shocked by the nature and scale of the videos uncovered by the So-Called BBC: "It's clearly wrong because it is enabling and normalising cheating potentially on an industrial scale."

seriously?  Really?  The whole education system has been corrupted through business (Pearson anyone?) taking over exam boards, to unobtainable targets and league tables. Then we have the 9k a year for a degree and the students feel that they are buying the qualification and not the opportunity  

There is whole-scale fraud, cheating and corruption within the system. 

Just now, One percent said:

Ok but then students pay someone else to sit the exam for them. 

Oh yeah I forgot you're not allowed to get people to show ID any more.

At the least they should have a 'zero tolerance' to cheating at HE -- if there's clear evidence of cheating then not only do you get thrown off the course, you also get put on a register disallowing you from higher education.

This seems harsh, but I don't want my doctor or the structural engineer that dd the calcs for the bridge I'm crossing to have cheated through university.

Sure, there'd be a load of very sad individuals, but tough.

[As it stands, there is such slack controls about qualifications etc in the UK that the way to get ahead is to cheat, lie and manipulate your way to the top.  Sure, it's always been a bit like this, but these days it is rife.  I'm always a bit shocked by the number of CVs that have made up stuff in them, say.]

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Is that actually possible?

Yes, quite common when dealing with very large numbers of students. 

1 minute ago, dgul said:

At the least they should have a 'zero tolerance' to cheating at HE -- if there's clear evidence of cheating then not only do you get thrown off the course, you also get put on a register disallowing you from higher education.

This seems harsh, but I don't want my doctor or the structural engineer that dd the calcs for the bridge I'm crossing to have cheated through university.

[As it stands, there is such slack controls about qualifications etc in the UK that the way to get ahead is to cheat, lie and manipulate your way to the top.  Sure, it's always been a bit like this, but these days it is rife.  I'm always a bit shocked by the number of CVs that have made up stuff in them, say.]

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

stop it. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yes, quite common when dealing with very large numbers of students. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

stop it. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Well, you're right of course.  Which only highlights how relatively unimportant the subject is.  Well, compared with keeping the money rolling in, anyway.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Why on earth is this the main news article on the #vileBBC website? Its been known about and extremely rife for years and years. 

No idea. But I bet they loved the £m of free advertising.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Why on earth is this the main news article on the #vileBBC website? Its been known about and extremely rife for years and years. 

My thought too.  The propaganda arm of the establishment never has a story without an underlying agenda. Given that this was the top news story.... 

18 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Is that actually possible?

When I worked for the civil service 20 odd years ago personnel used to like doing big assessment panels where a whole bunch of people would apply for generic jobs and be processed by an assembled panel. The successful applicants would then be sent to do jobs working all over the place for managers who hadn't been involved in the panel, and had never met the applicants...

It was always surprising how some applicants had managed to get through the panels with such poor English.

🤔

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

This news is olds in a new wrapper.

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Distraction from something else? Seemed odd. Perhaps they couldn't go first with the party political broadcast for the nanny state (Scotland minimum pricing). It really was full on with 'informative' graphics, music and the usual pro vox-pops. Thinking the alcoholics ruining their lives, and the money the NHS will save - not that we will ever be able to spend less on it!

4 hours ago, dgul said:

I would add banker to that list as well.

5 hours ago, One percent said:

My thought too.  The propaganda arm of the establishment never has a story without an underlying agenda. Given that this was the top news story.... 

You seem to have a real eye for spotting the beginnings of such pushes by the powers that be @One percent so I shall pay attention to this. Thank you, and keep it up! 👍

Edited by The Idiocrat

Skullion's scholars

Porterhouse is not an academic college; rather, it is a club for gentlemen, where admission depends on rank and wealth and where degrees can be bought. This often involves a brighter substitute from another college being paid to take the place of the Porterhouse student in the examination. Based on their fraudulent degrees, many of these students have gone on to obtain positions of great power in government and industry. These men are known as 'Skullion's Scholars' . He keeps their names on a list, knowing it will be useful one day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skullion

14 hours ago, unregistered_guest said:

I was amused a few years ago by this story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-29427119

TLDR;

Ofqual did a Which?-style consumers' report on essay-writing services.
Apparently they suffer from poor quality control...

Reminds me of a story from when I was at college, I was a mature student or more accurately 6-7 years older than most of the other students on the course. For me it was a ticket to a new future to them just an extension of school and an excuse not to get a job.

There was one instance where about 5 or 6 of them all submitted a piece of course work, we had a couple of text books which were the foundation of the course, effectively each assignment was to write your understanding of the subject matter, this was basically just re-writing the contents of the text books with a bit of additional information and tarting up. After a few assignments it because clear this was the only requirement. These lads decided to streamline the process, so they literally OCR scanned in the book changed a few words for synonyms and handed that in... what they failed to do was removal all the references to the images (which they hadn't included) i.e. A Start network (see fig 2.1) is a network... 

They still passed, it was an IT course so I suppose they got marks for their use of technology. 

31 minutes ago, gilf said:

Reminds me of a story from when I was at college, I was a mature student or more accurately 6-7 years older than most of the other students on the course. For me it was a ticket to a new future to them just an extension of school and an excuse not to get a job.

There was one instance where about 5 or 6 of them all submitted a piece of course work, we had a couple of text books which were the foundation of the course, effectively each assignment was to write your understanding of the subject matter, this was basically just re-writing the contents of the text books with a bit of additional information and tarting up. After a few assignments it because clear this was the only requirement. These lads decided to streamline the process, so they literally OCR scanned in the book changed a few words for synonyms and handed that in... what they failed to do was removal all the references to the images (which they hadn't included) i.e. A Start network (see fig 2.1) is a network... 

They still passed, it was an IT course so I suppose they got marks for their use of technology. 

The plagiarism software can pick up that sort of thing, it even checks for similarities with coursework submitted by students at other universities. You'd have to be mad to use the essay writing services as they could easily be recycling essays.

6 hours ago, This Time said:

The plagiarism software can pick up that sort of thing, it even checks for similarities with coursework submitted by students at other universities. You'd have to be mad to use the essay writing services as they could easily be recycling essays.

No doubt, but in this case all you needed was a pair of eyes :D