• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Scrap the House of Lords

If you were thinking of signing, but have changed your mind now the 100000 barrier has been passed, please still sign it anyway. The higher the number, the worse MPs will look when they dismiss the idea.

The question is what you replace it with.  Certainly, I wouldn't want the Commons to hold all the power.

I suppose I'd be in favour of a 'party led' house, and a 'representatives led' house.  But actually getting there would be a complete nightmare.

[we currently have a Lords house and a party & representatives mess.  The danger would be ending up with two party led houses -- the worst of all worlds]

You don't necessarily need a replacement. Plenty of countries only have one chamber and still function OK. Having said that, nor should you expect a unicameral arrangement to be perfect.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

The question is what you replace it with.  Certainly, I wouldn't want the Commons to hold all the power.

I suppose I'd be in favour of a 'party led' house, and a 'representatives led' house.  But actually getting there would be a complete nightmare.

[we currently have a Lords house and a party & representatives mess.  The danger would be ending up with two party led houses -- the worst of all worlds]

I've never been bothered about electoral reform, but these bastards have lit a fire under me now. They can fuck right off.

While I signed, the problem I see with any replacement system is that it will further entrench power into the hands of the liblabcon rather than be anything which returns power to the people.

they simply will not allow anything else to happen.

34 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

You don't necessarily need a replacement. Plenty of countries only have one chamber and still function OK. Having said that, nor should you expect a unicameral arrangement to be perfect.

Have a rep, just for using the word "unicameral".

27 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I've never been bothered about electoral reform, but these bastards have lit a fire under me now. They can fuck right off.

Quite. The Lords have become a bloated nonsense. 783 of them according to wikipedia: significantly larger than the commons.

Each departing government stuffs the chamber with new "on message" appointees to try and ensure a majority. 

Unfortunately Lords reform, along with reform of tax credits, council tax banding etc. etc. is on the long list of pressing issues that are deemed too controversial to tackle by our timorous political class.

49 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

If you were thinking of signing, but have changed your mind now the 100000 barrier has been passed, please still sign it anyway. The higher the number, the worse MPs will look when they dismiss the idea.

Do you have a link? There are several that I can see but only with a few hundred signatures

Well the Lords is on Jezzas hit list if he becomes PM which might garner him a few votes now.

Frankly the place epitomizes all that is wrong with the UK. A bloated institution full of time serving establishment has beens and political cronies. It has less relevance now than when it was run by the bishops and the feudal  landed aristocracy. New Zealand gets by with a single chamber Parliament so why can't wrap the same. At least the crooks in the House of Commons have to come begging for my vote every few years.

image.png

Edited by Virgil Caine

40 minutes ago, This Time said:

Wouldn't a bill to abolish the house of lords have to go through the house of lords?

I suppose you could push it through with the parliament act, or failing that just create a few hundred new lords, making sure that they're all on board with the plan to scrap the lords.

They've got a six figure list of people who want rid of it to pick from.

😀

Edited by SpectrumFX

The Lords has never been elected but the problem is that they are now nothing more than appointed officials, which must be the worst form of selection for a legislature you could think of

25 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I suppose you could push it through with the parliament act, or failing that just create a few hundred new lords, making sure that they're all on board with the plan to scrap the lords.

They've got a six figure list of people who want rid of it to pick from.

😀

Could you sneak it through on  Wednesday afternoon when they are all off getting their pensioner discount at B&Q?

12 hours ago, Panther said:

The Lords has never been elected but the problem is that they are now nothing more than appointed officials, which must be the worst form of selection for a legislature you could think of

No, hereditary peers selecting hereditary peers is.

Mixed with a theocracy selecting theocrats.

Edited by Happy Renting

1 hour ago, Happy Renting said:

No, hereditary peers selecting hereditary peers is.

Mixed with a theocracy selecting theocrats.

Not really. A good parallel would be moving from a hereditary monarch as head of state to a president appointed by government as head of state. That is a much more dangerous principle, an unseparation of powers.

Edited by Panther

3 minutes ago, Panther said:

Not really. A good parallel would be moving from a hereditary monarch as head of state to a president appointed by government as head of state. That is much worse

Yep, that's one of my objections to becoming a republic and having a President.  For Presidents you will pretty much always get high profile ex-politicians so Blair, Brown, Camneron, Clegg.  No thank you very much.

I would however scrap the House of Lords tomorrow and replace it with nothing; it is these days just ex-politicians and their fellow travellers.  It is like a long and cumbersome tail of the last few decades' political history sweeping behind the dog of the House of Commons and occasionally trying to wag the dog.. 

The Lords has pretty much been a pointless institution since the 1949 Parliament Act enabled it to be overruled by the Commons, and the 1958 Life Peerages act turned it into a retirement home for Commons placemen. It was one of those eccentric British traditions for a while but once completely obvious political and ideological appointments started taking place ( like Doreen Lawrence) it became actively dangerous. 

4 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

The Lords has pretty much been a pointless institution since the 1949 Parliament Act enabled it to be overruled by the Commons, and the 1958 Life Peerages act turned it into a retirement home for Commons placemen. It was one of those eccentric British traditions for a while but once completely obvious political and ideological appointments started taking place ( like Doreen Lawrence) it became actively dangerous. 

It lacks even the patina of Ruritanian charm

17 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

It lacks even the patina of Ruritanian charm

It lost that when the majority of the hereditary peers were kicked out under the Blair regime. Now it's just a club for troughers and legislation-blockers. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gina Miller getting a seat there soon.