• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The French are revolting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5677717/Colourful-parades-rallies-place-world-mark-Day.html

Protest marches have been held around the world to mark International Workers' Day, and while some remained peaceful parades, others escalated into violent clashes and destruction. 

Riot police in Paris arrested more than 200 anti-capitalist demonstrators today as they went on the rampage to mark May Day. 

Water cannon and tear gas were used against the protestors, many of whom were anarchists belonging to the Black Bloc movement.

‘They have mainly targeted places of business, including branches of McDonalds and banks,’ said a Paris police spokesman.

‘More than 200 people were arrested by late afternoon, and isolated incidents of violence are on going.’

Worst hit was a McDonalds and Renault garage close to the Austerlitz railways station in the east of the city.

Cars and wheelie bins were also torched, while officers had rocks and other projectiles thrown at them. 

You may object to the "food" that MuckDonalds serve, but considering they give people a step up on the career ladder (not those that work thier lives there) I don't understand the hatred towards it.

3 hours ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Doesn’t parts of Paris and the other major French cities burn most nights?

No. Well, strictly speaking I don’t know, but if the utter shithole area near where I work in the Paris region doesn’t burn most nights, I don’t know where would. 

10 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

You may object to the "food" that MuckDonalds serve, but considering they give people a step up on the career ladder (not those that work thier lives there) I don't understand the hatred towards it.

It is:

American

A multinational company

Visible

That is enough; these types want every cafe to be some local artisan vegan place run upon cooperative lines.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is:

American

A multinational company

Visible

That is enough; these types want every cafe to be some local artisan vegan place run upon cooperative lines.

Which will rapidly go bust as most can't afford £5 for six organic olives or £9 for hummus on artisan toast.

McD has it's place. It is mainly snobbery. 

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Which will rapidly go bust as most can't afford £5 for six organic olives or £9 for hummus on artisan toast.

McD has it's place. It is mainly snobbery. 

I like their coffee; and in the US their cinnamon pastries.

I make a point of using Mcds practically every business trip and pointing out my delicious tea/coffee egg muffin and juice cost less than a fiver, compared to the 20+ charged by the typical hotel for a bowl of fancy muesli and a crap coffee.

nobody listens. 

I too never really understood the bile thrown towards maccy D's. Even in the 90's it was the go-to company for the citizen Smith's of this world to direct their hatred. 

Seems to me it's a business that makes money and has been enormously successful. And that's about it. If you're a whiney tossbag that doesn't like to see others succeed then throwing your resentment against maccy D's is a badge of honour that makes you in the it crowd. 

2 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I make a point of using Mcds practically every business trip and pointing out my delicious tea/coffee egg muffin and juice cost less than a fiver, compared to the 20+ charged by the typical hotel for a bowl of fancy muesli and a crap coffee.

nobody listens. 

I tend to use golf clubs. I believe (not tested) that there is one within two miles of every motorway exit. 

They tend to do very good breakfasts and pots of tea, are open fairly early, often have free papers and are usually relaxing places with nice views.

Worth the 5 minute detour in my book.

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I tend to use golf clubs. I believe (not tested) that there is one within two miles of every motorway exit. 

They tend to do very good breakfasts and pots of tea, are open fairly early, often have free papers and are usually relaxing places with nice views.

Worth the 5 minute detour in my book.

Do they let my sort in at such places?

The attacks on MacDonald's is very predicatable - nothing original. If these lot had one brain cell between them they would be going after Google, Facebook, Apple, etc, HQ's in Paris.... but there are no student discounted tube trains to them...

7 minutes ago, Melchett said:

No but Im not a golfer

That won't be a problem. 

Some are a bit snooty about blue jeans but they are becoming fewer and fewer. And doesn't normally matter in the summer when you can sit outside and enjoy the peace.

I knew by the date that this would be the French equivalent of Tristram and Fennella kicking off and playing at revolutionaries, rather than the adherents of a certain peaceable religion. 

7 hours ago, Thombleached said:

I too never really understood the bile thrown towards maccy D's. Even in the 90's it was the go-to company for the citizen Smith's of this world to direct their hatred. 

Seems to me it's a business that makes money and has been enormously successful. And that's about it. If you're a whiney tossbag that doesn't like to see others succeed then throwing your resentment against maccy D's is a badge of honour that makes you in the it crowd. 

I just don't like the food, tasteless baby food from my experience and don't like the way it sucks money out of the local economy by the use of clever marketing.

Hmmm.

I live in France, I work in a French office alongside French people. Today we talked about a colleague's new car purchase, the latest Marvel film, what we did yesterday (it was a bank holiday)...

Not one person mentioned the Glorious Proletarian Revolutionary Riots. Not once. In fact I wasn't really aware of them until reading this thread.

Which should give you an idea of how much impact they've had on the lives of Le Monsieur Dans Le Autobus Pour Clapham 🙂

11 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Hmmm.

I live in France, I work in a French office alongside French people. Today we talked about a colleague's new car purchase, the latest Marvel film, what we did yesterday (it was a bank holiday)...

Not one person mentioned the Glorious Proletarian Revolutionary Riots. Not once. In fact I wasn't really aware of them until reading this thread.

Which should give you an idea of how much impact they've had on the lives of Le Monsieur Dans Le Autobus Pour Clapham 🙂

As is the way of provincial towns; they are provincial.

And I very much say that as a compliment. 

I live in a provincial town, work in another, and know both well.  The most important thing in each is usually when the council is  going to be finished with those road works.  People are aware that that London is there but it is of little interest unless they are going up on the coach to see a musical show.

1 hour ago, DeepLurker said:

Hmmm.

Well I can't say what my colleagues discussed as I was in work late but it has been on all the news channels back to back today.

The Black Bloc groups are closely associated with the no borders movements.