• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SNACR

Things from the past that were better than what replaced them

This video is an interesting insight into that past and can't help wondering if it was deliberately killed off to help kill off the railways,

When you look at a lot of the current issues with freight in London and cyclists getting run over by trucks it would solve a lot of problems

Are you looking to buy one?

I had a hankering for an Invacar; was gutted to discover that they were actually loaned out by the state and consequently got recalled and destroyed.

1 minute ago, eight said:

I had a hankering for an Invacar; was gutted to discover that they were actually loaned out by the state and consequently got recalled and destroyed.

Seen one on American Pickers on History Channel, some American car hoarder had one.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/microcar-classic-2007-1769913887

Heaven knows how it managed to escape the clutches of the scrap man and get to the states!

I never realised they were made by AC cars of sports car fame https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cars

6 minutes ago, eight said:

That makes sense as I was only thinking a while back how it's surprising no-one on Youtube has pimped up an invalid carriage.

13 minutes ago, eight said:

Neighbour had one of these back in the 70's - he was forever tipping it over on roads, corners. Soon developed a reputation not to take a lift with him. Gave me a lift once and it was fine. No rolling over or anything. Seems to be build of some kind of thick fibreglass.

The Lister Autotruck was used to move goods around factories and was killed off by the forklift.

Always fancied one of these but don't have anywhere to put it.

If I lived in the states I'd be a collector, sorry hoarder of this type of stuff.

04101723.JPG

54 minutes ago, eight said:

Spazzer..!!!

XYY

47 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The Lister Autotruck was used to move goods around factories and was killed off by the forklift.

Always fancied one of these but don't have anywhere to put it.

If I lived in the states I'd be a collector, sorry hoarder of this type of stuff.

04101723.JPG

Might quite like scooting around on one of those have owned loads of forklifts over the years and never got that excited with them.

These are a bit of a modern equivalent with a lift function. They're actually quite hard to manoeuvre though.

Edited by SNACR

Wasn't there some excruciatingly awkward documentary where a Richard Hammond went to meet him where presumably it was hoped they'd bond over their love of high speed crashes.

I was thinking more along the lines where the thing replaced was a bit technically superior/ahead of its time rather than Marathon vs Snickers type things.

7 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Evel Knieval.

I mean no toy company ever produced an Eddie Kidd stunt-cycle now did they...?

XYY

TBH I did more impressive jumps with a pile of bricks, a bit of old plywood and the essential playing card held in spokes with a clothes peg on my Raleigh Grifter.

42 minutes ago, SNACR said:

TBH I did more impressive jumps with a pile of bricks, a bit of old plywood and the essential playing card held in spokes with a clothes peg on my Raleigh Grifter.

Aye, true enough SNACKY.

But neither you or I would have done any of that in the first-place - if it hadn't been for Evel Knievel jumping over buses on "World Of Sport".

I at least had the decency to emulate him on a Chopper - and not a faggoty Grifter...!

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Given the severe injuries, to the goolies, such antics inflicted on a huge swathe of the nation's youth, at the time, it's surprising there weren't more fertility issues.

45 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Aye, true enough SNACKY.

But neither you or I would have done any of that in the first-place - if it hadn't been for Evel Knievel jumping over buses on "World Of Sport".

I at least had a the decency to emulate him on a Chopper - and not a faggoty Grifter...!

;)

XYY

Aston Martins. The present ones are hairdressers shite. The old ones made sure you had a huge left thigh, if  you were mug enough to buy a manual one!o.O

5 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Aye, true enough SNACKY.

I at least had the decency to emulate him on a Chopper - and not a faggoty Grifter...!

;)

XYY

A Chopper and jumping obstacles. Do you have any kids?

15 hours ago, SNACR said:

This video is an interesting insight into that past and can't help wondering if it was deliberately killed off to help kill off the railways,

When you look at a lot of the current issues with freight in London and cyclists getting run over by trucks it would solve a lot of problems

That was beautiful, and I want one.

Trolleybuses. Cheaper than trams and less air pollution than diesel buses

Ashamed to say I am old enough to have traveled on them as a child

Still used in a few cities and the modern versions seem to have sorted out the old de-wiring problem

Edited by Flirtygirty