• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

Did the West back the wrong horse?

The other half saw a programme on French TV about the rise of islamic extremism in Bosnia. The jist of what she saw was that effectively there's a full-on islamic nation state-within-a-state in a country that's looking to join the EU asap. She was horrified.

Perhaps we should have let Milosevic sort it out all those years ago? Perhaps he saw clearly what was coming.

Civil wars are seldom as simple as 'good vs bad'.

In the case of the Balkans, there's been so many years (centuries) of grief between the different groups that no-one knows who's 'responsible' any more.  And does it matter?  Christians know that Muslims might kill them.  Muslims know that Christians might kill them.    Both know that striking first when under threat is a pretty good defensive position...

There is no doubt that Milosevic was guilty of pretty nasty stuff. The other side was also guilty.  Perhaps we in the west have a problem with some sort of 'empire guilt' as we tend to side with the non-westerners in these sorts of situations a bit too readily?

Anyway, I suppose what it does show is that the dream of happy multicultural existence is just that.  The communities will split along cultural lines and continue existing in relative isolation, no matter how hard you scream that multiculturalism is best.

How to sort out the Balkans?  I note that it was far easier to deal with when there was a massive fence to the north west and south and we could just ignore the whole thing.

They knew exactly what they were doing. The wars in Yugoslavia were the first action of Cold War 2: a deliberate attempt to destroy one of Russia's key allies (see the start of WW1 for example). With Yugoslavia gone and Serbia greatly reduced in power, they could then expand NATO to the borders of Russia, subvert former Soviet Republics such as Georgia and Ukraine (with a current attempt being made to topple the Armenian government under the guise of "Electric Yerevan") as well as supporting jihadis in toppling the Syrian government.

As a child, I could never understand why the So-Called BBC coverage was so biased against the Serbs. It makes perfect sense now.

The coverage is still extremely biased, in all the Old Media. Look at the Wikiquote page for Milosevic its quotes about him and how awful he supposedly was. Except this one, which appears to have slipped through the censors.

Bosnia is known as the powder keg of Yugoslavia, which itself is known as the powder keg of the Balkans, which in turn is reputed to be the powder keg of Europe. I would like to lengthen the list a bit by noting that Slobodan Milosevic was the powder keg of Bosnia. He is also one of the most extraordinary men you could hope to meet in your lifetime, a Halley's Comet of dictators, appearing only once or twice a century.

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

The coverage is still extremely biased, in all the Old Media. Look at the Wikiquote page for Milosevic its quotes about him and how awful he supposedly was. Except this one, which appears to have slipped through the censors.

Only those who were close to him will know for sure as there is so much "noise" around the event,  but if Srebrenica happened anything like it was broadcast and he was in charge, there are no excuses for that kind of behaviour IMO. Even in the context of the Balkans. 

The Yugoslav wars, in particular the NATO attack on Yugoslavia in 1999, were my political awakening and introduction to the power of MSM propaganda.

These are worth a read:

The Ratiional Destruction of Yugoslavia
http://www.michaelparenti.org/yugoslavia.html

The Obligatory Bash
"When speaking of the Serbs it is considered proper to say something negative. More than one thing is optional. But one is obligatory."
http://emperors-clothes.com/analysis/obligato.htm

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

I've always thought the portrayal of the Serbs by the MSM as a sort of watered down version of the Nazis was suspicious. IIRC it took a while for that narrative to emerge and before that there was more of a 'all as bad as each other' theme. 

7 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I've always thought the portrayal of the Serbs by the MSM as a sort of watered down version of the Nazis was suspicious. IIRC it took a while for that narrative to emerge and before that there was more of a 'all as bad as each other' theme. 

Given what happened in the second World War I would imagine Serbs find the comparison both laughable and grossly offensive  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_persecution_of_Serbs