• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Stephen Fry under police investigation for blasphemy after branding God an 'utter maniac'

It's the man's personal opinion (and mostly mine as well).

Therefore they can fuck off, if it goes beyond being laughed out of court then Ireland need to have a serious word with themselves.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

25 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Being trailed / softened up to accept blasphemy against Mo as a criminal offense?

That's exactly what this law was introduced for. They didn't expect to be investigating Christian blasphemy though.  I can see the law being "amended".

Given that he knows that a lot of people watching that are believers it was a nasty and offensive thing to say.

He tried to commit suicide after filming in Africa and meeting with people who were strongly opposed to homosexuality so he knows how much harsh words can hurt.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Given that he knows that a lot of people watching that are believers it was a nasty and offensive thing to say.

He tried to commit suicide after filming in Africa and meeting with people who were strongly opposed to homosexuality so he knows how much harsh words can hurt.

That may well be true. But it shouldn't make it illegal.

1 hour ago, Bkkandrew said:

Being trailed / softened up to accept blasphemy against Mo as a criminal offense?

Given my opinion of Fry, if that is the case you can be sure he's fully alongside it and the whole thing was carefully manufactured.

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That may well be true. But it shouldn't make it illegal.

That's for Ireland to decide.

I wouldn't be calling for his prosecution here but I would be suggesting that if he is deeply upset by hearing nasty words about his beliefs then he shouldn't be giving it out.

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

nThat's for Ireland to decide.

I wouldn't be calling for his prosecution here but I would be suggesting that if he is deeply upset by hearing nasty words about his beliefs then he shouldn't be giving it out.

Conspiracy theory is that the law was part of a trade deal with a Arab country during Bertie Ahearn's era.   The Irish people had no say in is implementation. Corruption at the highest level.

Edited by montecristo

I dont like Stephen Fry much but I dont think what he said was remotely blasphemous.

In fact the key question he posed is one that the followers of all the major monotheistic faiths be it Christianity, Islam or Judaism have to face.

How can an omniscient and omnipotent deity who is supposed to be holy and good preside over a creation in which the wicked frequently prosper and the innocent often suffer ?

Given God an omniscient God and  has fore knowledge of all human actions including any Original Sin by Adam and Eve (the thing that usually gets the blame for human suffering by Christian religious thinkers)  then he either willed it in which case he can not be all good or he was unable to prevent it in which case he is not all powerful.

Either argument potentially blows the claims of the monotheistic faiths out of the water.

Hiding behind a blasphemy law is simply dodging the question

Moreover since God is an all powerful and all knowing enitity who will judge all sinners then surely the deity is the one who should judge what is blasphemous or not since the slander or libel (if i exists) is against God not any human.

In fact all the religious who attempt to judge their fellow humans on Gods behalf over matters of faith are simply usurping Gods throne and attempting to rule in Gods place.

That type of spiritual pride is the greatest blasphemy of all as the Bible points out on a number of occasions.

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! … For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne … I will sit also upon the mount … I will ascend above the heights…I will be like the most High” (Isa. 14:12-14).

Edited by Flirtygirty

1 minute ago, Flirtygirty said:

I dont like Stepehen Fry much but I dont think what he said was remotely blasphemous.

In fact the key question he posed is one that the followers of all the major monotheistic faiths be it Christianity, Islamic Judaism have to face.

How can an omniscient and omnipotent deity who is supposed to be holy and good preside over a creation in which the wicked frequently prosper and the innocent often suffer ?

Given God an omniscient God and  has fore knowledge of all human actions including any Original Sin by Adam and Eve *the thing that usually gets the blame for human suffering)  then he either willed it in which case he can not be all good or he was unable to prevent it in which case he is not all powerful.

Either argument potentially blows the claims of the monotheistic faiths out of the water.

Hiding behind a blasphemy law is simply dodging the question

Moreover since God is an all powerful and all knowing enitity who will judge all sinners then surely the deity is the one who should judge what is blasphemous or not since the slander or libel (if i exists) is against God not any human.

In fact all the religious who attempt to judge their fellow humans on Gods behalf over matters of faith are simply usurping Gods throne and attempting to rule in Gods place.

That type of spiritual pride is the greatest blasphemy of all as the Bible points out on a number of occasions.

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! … For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne … I will sit also upon the mount … I will ascend above the heights…I will be like the most High” (Isa. 14:12-14).

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!! :)

16 minutes ago, montecristo said:

Conspiracy theory is that the law was part of a trade deal with a Arab country during Bertie Ahearn's era.   The Irish people had no say in is implementation. Corruption at the highest level.

Arabian oil money again, fortunately its insidious influence is sinking into the sands.

Has Ireland forgotten about that whole epidemic of child fucking that was going on in their church? Maybe just let the man say what he wants, as odious as Fry is.

Although I suspect that in the West, especially if the left were to size more power, criticizing non-Christian religions (I have a particular one in mind here) would be classed as a hate crime very quickly, if it is not already.

Just to add that if God does not have fore knowledge of evil or suffering then he is not omniscient and that claim of the monotheistic faiths falls as well.

To be fair those who take their religious beliefs seriously do attempt to tackle these questions.

Blasphemy laws are usually popular amongst people who regard their religion as a sort of spiritual Man Utd or some other divine football team that they have to support mindlessly

Edited by Flirtygirty

Whatever you believe God is, religion only serves it's own purpose, and puts a layer of "useless estate agents, and paedos", between you and God. You can see bees every day, and stars at night. That is wonderful enough for me, without some cunt writing a book about it, to recite.o.O

And everybody enjoys a good dump, but there is no book that acknowleges this.:D

Very brave of Fry to come out against the Christian God .... but he/she/trinity is not as extreme as Allah, will Fry now condemn the God of ROP in the same manner .... the answer will be no because with one (God) nothing happens with the other (Allah) he will be called a racist.

It should be added that there is a strong suspicion that this matter has been reported to the Garda by someone who is actually opposed to Irelands blasphemy laws and simply wants the Irish government to fulfil its promise about calling a referendum to have them repealed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Certainly it look as though they have chosen the topic with some care since Fry was in part posing a religious question that has been asked many, many times previously.

Edited by Flirtygirty

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Surely it is no worse than telling a child that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

At least a child wouldn't try to prosecute you or even try to harm you for challenging their beliefs.

Unfortunately for Stephen Fry using logic and reasoning is offensive to some people.

20 minutes ago, Flirtygirty said:

It should be added that there is a strong suspicion that this matter has been reported to the Garda by someone who is actually opposed to Irelands blasphemy laws and simply wants the Irish government to fulfil its promise about calling a referendum to have them repealed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Certainly it look as though they have chosen the topic with some care since Fry was in part posing a religious question that has been asked many, many times previously.

Gina O'Miller?

36 minutes ago, satch said:

Very brave of Fry to come out against the Christian God .... but he/she/trinity is not as extreme as Allah, will Fry now condemn the God of ROP in the same manner .... the answer will be no because with one (God) nothing happens with the other (Allah) he will be called a racist.

Isn't it the same god they both believe in ?