• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

In a panic at the moment as the company I have used for the past 16 years (easily.co.uk) have gone completely shit and now emails are not reaching us, clients aren’t getting delivery failure notifications and we can’t send emails! Project deadlines are next week so this is a nightmare for us.

From what I have read online nobody can get through to technical support so I might have to recover and transfer my .com domain - this will be fun!

Anyone have any recommendations? I don’t need web hosting, just email with iPhone mail compatibility.

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

In a panic at the moment as the company I have used for the past 16 years (easily.co.uk) have gone completely shit and now emails are not reaching us, clients aren’t getting delivery failure notifications and we can’t send emails! Project deadlines are next week so this is a nightmare for us.

From what I have read online nobody can get through to technical support so I might have to recover and transfer my .com domain - this will be fun!

Anyone have any recommendations? I don’t need web hosting, just email with iPhone mail compatibility.

I use 123-reg, who host about 15 different email domains for me, and haven't had a problem in several years. Cheap and cheerful.

Fairly easy to use.

I am sure others will be better placed to recommend.

Also, does anyone know how to transfer my .com domain? The account Login password is not working and no response from technical support. Apparently .co.uk is easy as nominet will sort it out for you.

10 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Also, does anyone know how to transfer my .com domain? The account Login password is not working and no response from technical support. Apparently .co.uk is easy as nominet will sort it out for you.

Yeah nominet were fab.
Had domains with company and wanted to do something with them - can't remember - but company wanted a tenner each for it so I got in touch with nominet who talked me through the process via them. Fabulous. 

Can't remember .com now - think it was a PITA last time I did it. But had US company to deal with.

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I use 123-reg, who host about 15 different email domains for me, and haven't had a problem in several years. Cheap and cheerful.

Fairly easy to use.

I am sure others will be better placed to recommend.

Nightmare! 

What about emailing your clients and explaining the situation, and providing them with a(nother) note of your phone numbers and a temporary (Hotmail or whatever) email address?

I have to move my entire site to a new host really soon, email and site is with Microsoft atm but I may be moving the email too.

This kinda stuff can be a real stress and is a pain in the arse, hope you get it all sorted without too much hassle though.

Lots of folk on here with loads of geeky knowledge so I would expect some good replies soon.

Posted (edited)

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.easily.co.uk

I wonder how many customers have suffered because of the failure of Easily. I think they have ceased trading - will be fun trying to get my .com domain back. I just checked on Whois and they never updated my details when we moved offices!

It could be weeks/months before I get everything up and running again.

Edited by OurDayWillCome

8 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.easily.co.uk

I wonder how many customers have suffered because of the failure of Easily. I think they have ceased trading - will be fun trying to get my .com domain back. I just checked on Whois and they never updated my details when we moved offices!

It could be weeks/months before I get everything up and running again.

Ouch. I would suggest getting a new domain asap - maybe the same name with .info or .Uk and getting a new email up and running asap, and then bulk mailing your clients.

Good luck. 

Might be saved by being such  big supplier - industry should  get another company in to take over the domains to prevent chaos.

5 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

What about emailing your clients and explaining the situation, and providing them with a(nother) note of your phone numbers and a temporary (Hotmail or whatever) email address?

It's a good idea but without access to change the MX records this won't work..

The MX record for a domain name indicates where mail destined for that domain should be delivered to.

It is entirely possible to force email via a different set of mail servers even though they're not the "nominated" mail servers for that domain. This is called "spoofing". So if you registered carlfimble.com or whatever, I can email people from carl@carlfimble.com but most of those emails won't arrive at "the other end".

The overwhelming majority of those emails will be canned as spam by the recipients' providers because the server that sent them is not nominated as one of the official servers for that domain. So it looks like "spoofing". Someone trying to send email appearing to be "you".

You can however register another domain name with email and then send from that to your customer base. If you include all your livery (logos, etc.) in the email it will then potentially appear trustworthy to the recipients.

Depending on how long this is likely to take to resolve, actually, changing your domain name altogether in this way may be the best option. It would help if for example there is another TLD (top level domain) available: so if the problem is with carlfimble.com but carlfimble.co.uk is available for registration then this is an option.

However for SEO (search engine optimisation) purposes, this means "starting from scratch".

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DTMark said:

It's a good idea but without access to change the MX records this won't work..

The MX record for a domain name indicates where mail destined for that domain should be delivered to.

It is entirely possible to force email via a different set of mail servers even though they're not the "nominated" mail servers for that domain. This is called "spoofing". So if you registered carlfimble.com or whatever, I can email people from carl@carlfimble.com but most of those emails won't arrive at "the other end".

The overwhelming majority of those emails will be canned as spam by the recipients' providers because the server that sent them is not nominated as one of the official servers for that domain. So it looks like "spoofing". Someone trying to send email appearing to be "you".

You can however register another domain name with email and then send from that to your customer base. If you include all your livery (logos, etc.) in the email it will then potentially appear trustworthy to the recipients.

Depending on how long this is likely to take to resolve, actually, changing your domain name altogether in this way may be the best option. It would help if for example there is another TLD (top level domain) available: so if the problem is with carlfimble.com but carlfimble.co.uk is available for registration then this is an option.

However for SEO (search engine optimisation) purposes, this means "starting from scratch".

I wasn't being so fancy, I just meant emailing the clients from a newly created email address, say companyname @hotmail.com and saying "Hi, big fuck up by email cunts, this is a temp email address, our contact numbers remain unchanged tho, we are sorting it but in the meantime if you need us, either phone, or use this temp email address".

Your post is much better, and technical though. I knew some proper computereers would be along with advice, cheers Mark.

Hope your new sofa is comfy and hadn't been destroyed by cats yet. Im posting this at 4am after having been woken up by our cat....

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding reason for my 4am posting

Nominet are absolute wankers in my experience. They demand ID for a domain and if they don't like it they suspend the domain. It's only recently that they've finally allowed anonymous domain registrations otherwise I'd have to put up my actual address on here or they'd suspend it.

Anyway, I'd recommend Google Apps/Gmail Business. I know Google know everything so there are some privacy issues but other than that, they're great.

16 hours ago, Southmartin said:

Rackspace.

The Stella Artois of the hosting world (reassuringly expensive)

I know someone who works for Rackspace, sounds like a great place to work to be honest.

Posted (edited)

Office365

It's not cheap, but when you are running around to jobs/quotes it works a fucking treat.

I've just got the email essentials, which includes email, calender etc & none of the word, excel poncey shite.

Not missed a quote/ job yet due to the reminder function, thing, bit. Top

Edited by mattydread

7 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

I wasn't being so fancy, I just meant emailing the clients from a newly created email address, say companyname @hotmail.com and saying "Hi, big fuck up by email cunts, this is a temp email address, our contact numbers remain unchanged tho, we are sorting it but in the meantime if you need us, either phone, or use this temp email address".

Your post is much better, and technical though. I knew some proper computereers would be along with advice, cheers Mark.

Hope your new sofa is comfy and hadn't been destroyed by cats yet. Im posting this at 4am after having been woken up by our cat....

It wasn't meant as a rebuke ;)

The sofa is still in three pieces waiting to be put back together. A project for the weekend.

12 minutes ago, DTMark said:

It wasn't meant as a rebuke ;)

The sofa is still in three pieces waiting to be put back together. A project for the weekend.

Nah, I didn't think it was. 

Ha! What you though would be a simple wait for delivery and then open your front door has turned into a project!