• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

This is just a question really, someone I know who lives near London said the street lights went off at night where she lives. 

In Edinburgh they are on all night, and having them go off sounds dangerous, and stupid considering how little power modern lighting uses (LEDs etc).

Do your street lights stay on all night where you live?

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

This is just a question really, someone I know who lives near London said the street lights went off at night where she lives. 

In Edinburgh they are on all night, and having them go off sounds dangerous, and stupid considering how little power modern lighting uses (LEDs etc).

Nope in both places. They go off.  It might explain the massive rise in burglaries in my neck of londonistan. Or at least offer one reason. 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Nope in both places. They go off.  It might explain the massive rise in burglaries in my neck of londonistan. Or at least offer one reason. 

Everything I hear about London is something shit. I can't believe that, in Yorkshire too, FFS!

What time do they go off?

That's terrible! Mental too considering how little power modern LEDs use.

Just now, Bedrag Justesen said:

Yes.

Wales you are in I think Bedrag? 

6 minutes ago, eight said:

Is overnight artificial light offensive to anybody? Just wondering.

I had a customer who moaned about the street light outside her window, I just thought "get blackout curtains".

Star gazers won't be too keen on it though, or overly green folk.

Do the street lights in Darlington stay on all night btw?

Edited by Carl Fimble
asking question about Darlo

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

Everything I hear about London is something shit. I can't believe that, in Yorkshire too, FFS!

What time do they go off?

That's terrible! Mental too considering how little power modern LEDs use.

Dunno, it is the middle of the night. 2 or 3?  They have just put new led light in in Whitby but still the old ones in London. I don’t like them, they don’t spread the light and just throw down puddles. If outside of these, it is very dark. 

12 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Most go off in stages between midnight and 2am, I think. I quite like looking at the stars on a clear night, and the light pollution in the south east is massive, so i’m quite happy about it overall.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Dunno, it is the middle of the night. 2 or 3?  They have just put new led light in in Whitby but still the old ones in London. I don’t like them, they don’t spread the light and just throw down puddles. If outside of these, it is very dark. 

The vampires lobbied for it?

What about LED Michael Jackson style pavement lights that work slightly differently, lighting up around you so you can see within 5-10 metres as you move along and switching off behind?

3 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Should all have solar panels on top too. Charge through the day and run until the batteries flatten, at which point they run off the mains.

Much like most garden floodlights are now. 

Sounds a good idea, as long as it made sense from a cost and ecological point of view. The solar lights in my garden are on for hours even with the few hours of actual sunlight they catch up here in Scotland, they are very low power though, not bright really, pretty though.

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Most go off in stages between midnight and 2am, I think. I quite like looking at the stars on a clear night, and the light pollution in the south east is massive, so i’m quite happy about it overall.

I can see the advantage, just think it's a bit dangerous. Could they not at least have sensors like in offices, so they only come on if people are wandering underneath them?

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The vampires lobbied for it?

What about LED Michael Jackson style pavement lights that work slightly differently, lighting up around you so you can see within 5-10 metres as you move along and switching off behind?

Maybe it's time to fit people with headlights. 

Baddies won't turn theirs on though...

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

I can see the advantage, just think it's a bit dangerous. Could they not at least have sensors like in offices, so they only come on if people are wandering underneath them?

Dangerous in what way?

5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Dangerous in what way?

It sounds like it would be a boon for criminals, also increasing the risk of falls and things, if folk can't see where they're going.

24 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Do the street lights in Darlington stay on all night btw?

Yes, but they have all been replaced in recent years by the crap ones. Not that I would really mind, if it wasn't for the council insisting that they're just as bright as the old ones, if only we weren't too stupid to realise.

3 minutes ago, eight said:

Yes, but they have all been replaced in recent years by the crap ones. Not that I would really mind, if it wasn't for the council insisting that they're just as bright as the old ones, if only we weren't too stupid to realise.

Yeah, I don't think the LED ones have as much "throw" as the old fashioned ones, maybe they would be ok if they had cut the posts down by a few feet. They don't seem as good, at least they don't switch them off at night though.

39 minutes ago, eight said:

Is overnight artificial light offensive to anybody? Just wondering.

Yes, when it's all night.

I lived for eight years in central London and never saw the stars; just the orange glow from the city lights.

An absolute joy of holidays back to Cornwall on the train was for the sky to darken and I began to pick out first Venus then the other bright stars then the constellations began to form.  I always take the time to stop and look up at the stars on a clear night because of all those years when I couldn't do so.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, when it's all night.

I lived for eight years in central London and never saw the stars; just the orange glow from the city lights.

An absolute joy of holidays back to Cornwall on the train was for the sky to darken and I began to pick out first Venus then the other bright stars then the constellations began to form.  I always take the time to stop and look up at the stars on a clear night because of all those years when I couldn't do so.

I think I can see Venus in London. It might be a satellite, I’m not good at astrology. It’s is quite bright in in the southern sky.  

Just now, One percent said:

I think I can see Venus in London. It might be a satellite, I’m not good at astrology. It’s is quite bright in in the southern sky.  

Unless you can see it moving it will be Venus.  I was in the Barbican (EC2) so very central; even Venus was swamped by the glow.

Russell Grant will be disappointed btw.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Unless you can see it moving it will be Venus.  I was in the Barbican (EC2) so very central; even Venus was swamped by the glow.

Russell Grant will be disappointed btw.

It moves, I think very slightly?  Lucky you living in the Barbican. 

Russel Grant?  You have lost me. Little round bloke with messy hair.  A bit Russel brand but half the height and three times the width. 

1 minute ago, Goat said:

I remember a few years back in some of the towns near me there were a whole series of "experimental street light switch-offs", I'm not sure what the experiment was meant to establish but my best guess is that they discovered that if they turned the street lights off it went dark.

😂👍 out of reps. Very funny. 😂