• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

What does average mean?

According to the Telegraph it was £31k in 2008. They quote "official sources" but it's not clear what the exact source was. 

Are there still nurses caning the overtime to get over £100k, or have they stopped that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/3536757/NHS-nurse-takes-home-100000-salary-thanks-to-overtime.html

Edited by SpectrumFX

In maths, there are three types of average; mean, median and mode. They can give very different results from the same dataset.

The Royal College of Nursing's website gives NHS nurses' pay on the highest scale as more than £90k.

Many words just mean what people want them to mean.

Trees, flowers, concrete, cars etc are pretty straightforward. Not much argument about what they mean.

Words like average, beauty, love, relationships are very ambiguous indeed!

8 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

In maths, there are three types of average; mean, median and mode. They can give very different results from the same dataset.

The Royal College of Nursing's website gives NHS nurses' pay on the highest scale as more than £90k.

Fuck, I went for the wrong career choice 

17 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Yes, but very few nurses ever reach that level of earnings.

Nurse Millington is the last one I remember...

MV5BNDQ0MjUzNjIyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjc1

XYY

25 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Beyond that, there is the way the question is stated.

'Average earnings' isn't the same thing as average pay.  'Pay' normally refers to only the base salary, while 'earnings' will include things like overtime.

11 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Jeremy *unt on andrew marr. "The average NHS nurse earns £31k a year. Bullshit! They have obviously used the same formula that they worked out average earnings are £28000. Typical cons mathematics. Averaging out wages using the highest wages in the mix. #votelabour

Depends where what.

My mate earns about 28k depending on how much OT she gets - not a lot just a few extra 4h now and then.

For the level of education /skills thats pretty good. She does 3 12h shift and 1 half day normally to get her 38hs. 

The equivalent job would be a assistant manager in a shop, which would pay her 19k.

Nurses and reachers have seen their pay rise 2 3% a year up til about 2011. The eqivalent jobs have not risen at all. 

20 years ago, nurses left to work in shops to earn more money. These days you are talking a 14k pay drop. Chuck in pension and its very good job.

She does some unplesant stuff but most of the time its just hanging around. The HCAs do the running around.

44 minutes ago, One percent said:

Fuck, I went for the wrong career choice 

I forget the levels but a senior nurse can pull in 60k easily.

11 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

According to the Telegraph it was £31k in 2008. They quote "official sources" but it's not clear what the exact source was. 

Are there still nurses caning the overtime to get over £100k, or have they stopped that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/3536757/NHS-nurse-takes-home-100000-salary-thanks-to-overtime.html

Is yhe NHS still ineffecient and employing useless managers?

If yes, then Yes if they work long hours.

Theres a reason why there are a lot of Soanish, Italian and Portuguese nurses un the NHS.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Depends where what.

My mate earns about 28k depending on how much OT she gets - not a lot just a few extra 4h now and then.

For the level of education /skills thats pretty good. She does 3 12h shift and 1 half day normally to get her 38hs. 

The equivalent job would be a assistant manager in a shop, which would pay her 19k.

Nurses and reachers have seen their pay rise 2 3% a year up til about 2011. The eqivalent jobs have not risen at all. 

20 years ago, nurses left to work in shops to earn more money. These days you are talking a 14k pay drop. Chuck in pension and its very good job.

She does some unplesant stuff but most of the time its just hanging around. The HCAs do the running around.

I forget the levels but a senior nurse can pull in 60k easily.

Fucked it up completely on the career front then. O.o

Just now, One percent said:

Fucked it up completely on the career front then. O.o

My partner says the same about primary school teachers.

On social dos i get the Ill jack it in and do something else, where theyll pay me better and appreciate me more.

I laugh. Theres a tale that the union and all teachers tell themselves - They xan go work un a shop, bank, financial services and earn rwice as much.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

My partner says the same about primary school teachers.

On social dos i get the Ill jack it in and do something else, where theyll pay me better and appreciate me more.

I laugh. Theres a tale that the union and all teachers tell themselves - They xan go work un a shop, bank, financial services and earn rwice as much.

I get what she is saying though.  I've invested a LOT of time into gaining my qualifications and then find out that there are other occupations where I could earn a lot more for much less investment. 

Just now, One percent said:

I get what she is saying though.  I've invested a LOT of time into gaining my qualifications and then find out that there are other occupations where I could earn a lot more for much less investment. 

Im not making a call on relative value or worth, just plain old supply and demand.

Sure, doing a Phd in Japanese is hard but the demand for european janapese speakers is small.

Back to healthcare, theres some research that show for the level of skills and effort, pay is 30% higher than equivalent.

Go yo local councils and uts nuts. The only skill is gaving an uncle who works there. But like off shore  jobs.

Im not making a call on relative value or worth, just plain old supply and demand.

Sure, doing a Phd in Japanese is hard but the demand for european janapese speakers is small.

Back to healthcare, theres some research that show for the level of skills and effort, pay is 30% higher than equivalent.

Go yo local councils and uts nuts. The only skill is gaving an uncle who works there. But like off shore  jobs.

Agree spy, it is solely supply and demand. 

The problem with that is that as an individual, you cannot plan for it.  All that advice about work hard, do the right thing, etc, goes out the window. We have seen this with the inverse effect of benefits. 

The end game of this is that when you (or I or anyone) sits down with the kids in order to offer advice of future carrrers and the importance of working hard, what exactly do you say?

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree spy, it is solely supply and demand. 

The problem with that is that as an individual, you cannot plan for it.  All that advice about work hard, do the right thing, etc, goes out the window. We have seen this with the inverse effect of benefits. 

The end game of this is that when you (or I or anyone) sits down with the kids in order to offer advice of future carrrers and the importance of working hard, what exactly do you say?

I planed on fishing when i was in primary.

In the 8 years from my initial plan, the demand fell and fell.

Its really hard. 

All i can suggest is expect demand will be for stuff most people are crap at and are used by business - maths and software.

I dont expect demand for health care to continue, its purely down to nhs being crap.

I planed on fishing when i was in primary.

In the 8 years from my initial plan, the demand fell and fell.

Its really hard. 

All i can suggest is expect demand will be for stuff most people are crap at and are used by business - maths and software.

I dont expect demand for health care to continue, its purely down to nhs being crap.

And funeral director. That's not going to die out as a trade. :)

I think I'd be a great undertaker. Good with people, dealing with admin required, empathy and not afraid to talk about death or deal with corpses. I'd love wearing the goth type clothing and hat too. The price of a hearse is out of my reach. Hmmm....anyone fancy being taken to the crematorium in a camper van?

I wonder if there's a market for funerals with no coffin, hearse, funeral cars for family .....pick the body up get it cremated and provide a bespoke remembrance service of choice for families? Undercutting the undertakers!

No idea what to advise young folks regarding careers. Worry about my two ☹️

Edited by Economic Exile

18 minutes ago, One percent said:

And funeral director. That's not going to die out as a trade. :)

People will still die.

Whether theyll soend 5k+ on a funeral is another thing.

Just now, spygirl said:

People will still die.

Whether theyll soend 5k+ on a funeral is another thing.

Have you seen the car that Kevin from the funeral directors in hawsker is driving?  

You don't have a choice, even a simple funeral is mega bucks. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Have you seen the car that Kevin from the funeral directors in hawsker is driving?  

You don't have a choice, even a simple funeral is mega bucks. 

Ah you do!

Thats what people dont geasp. Book the crem, buy a cardboard coffin. Sorted.

Ah you do!

Thats what people dont geasp. Book the crem, buy a cardboard coffin. Sorted.

How the hell are you going to get the cardboard coffin over the moors to the cream?  I suppose you could hire a van.  Two problems though, I bet that harrisons would not be best pleased that you are hiring a van to transport dead bodies and it's hardly dignified. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

How the hell are you going to get the cardboard coffin over the moors to the cream?  I suppose you could hire a van.  Two problems though, I bet that harrisons would not be best pleased that you are hiring a van to transport dead bodies and it's hardly dignified. 

They are trading on peoples irrational beliefs.

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

They are trading on peoples irrational beliefs.

That's my thoughts.

People think you have to get an undertaker, have to have a hearse, fancy cars for relatives etc. There is no lawful obligation to use an undertaker although they're pushing to be accredited to hold on to their monopoly.

The reality is you can buy a cheap coffin, collect a corpse, book a slot at the crematorium and organise your own service with no need for an undertaker.

Undertakers prey on people's lack of knowledge regarding disposing of the dead. It used to be done in the community not that long ago. There's also "keeping up with the Joneses" stuff...have to give them a good send off.

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

That's my thoughts.

People think you have to get an undertaker, have to have a hearse, fancy cars for relatives etc. There is no lawful obligation to use an undertaker although they're pushing to be accredited to hold on to their monopoly.

The reality is you can buy a cheap coffin, collect a corpse, book a slot at the crematorium and organise your own service with no need for an undertaker.

Undertakers prey on people's lack of knowledge regarding disposing of the dead. It used to be done in the community not that long ago. There's also "keeping up with the Joneses" stuff...have to give them a good send off.

I kind of get what you and spy are saying but it's not just a task to accomplish. I've lost close people and all I wanted was for someone else to just deal,with it.  I personally would not be in the right frame of mind to go around organising this. I just wanted someone to take over and sort it and bugger the cost. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

I kind of get what you and spy are saying but it's not just a task to accomplish. I've lost close people and all I wanted was for someone else to just deal,with it.  I personally would not be in the right frame of mind to go around organising this. I just wanted someone to take over and sort it and bugger the cost. 

Death can ve sudden, spinning everyones head. V. Emotional time if you are not prepared.

I know of a couple of people who planned it all for their families. Cheaply too.

I guess ill work mine all out before i die. But hopefully not for a good 40 years.