• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Wetherspoons - Yea Nay??

I like spoons.

Its not their fault they have the cheapest booze, acting like a scum magnet.

You can get a good beer, at a cheap price. And the meal deals and food are good value.

I avoid PubCos like the plague - Greeneking, enterprise inns, punch aswas. There you get a choice if 3 shit beers, at 3.50 pint that taste fucking awgul asthe soon to be bankrupt tenant has given up.

Good for a drink and I especially like the upstairs of the Big A for that.  Not in summer though.

My daughter lived near Trent Bridge when at Uni and there is a massive 'spoons just near the grounds it was good.  

I would rather not eat there, I don't rate the food.  

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Good for a drink and I especially like the upstairs of the Big A for that.  Not in summer though.

My daughter lived near Trent Bridge when at Uni and there is a massive 'spoons just near the grounds it was good.  

I would rather not eat there, I don't rate the food.  

Foods cheap an cheerful. 

My assistant got an evening job in the kitchen. She thought she would be washing up etc. Nope, she was given some pictures, a microwave timing guide and let loose as second chef on her first night.

She didn't last long. Partly because she was only getting £2 per hour or less after benefit reductions. 

Love my local 'spoons in Peterlee. Full of alchy ex-coalminers getting ratted on their NCB pensions. And there's a bingo next-door where their wives spend the rest...

17094553852_dc9df23b1a_b.jpg

A few miles up the road in Seaham, they even have an outdoor area to sit and enjoy a beer and some food. Very popular with smokers...

9930019094_e9f5960e18_b.jpg

XYY

Excellent pubs.

My local non-Wetherspoon pub has a choice of three lagers plus Guinness, and they charge a small fortune for them.

My local Wetherspoon pub has a wide choice of well-kept beers at affordable prices.

The first pub is usually empty - except when the football is on - and the spoon is usually packed all the time.

The customers of Wetherspoon pubs varies a lot though, depending on what the area is like. I visited the Barking Dog 5years+ ago, I saw two punch-ups and I got cornered by a drug-dealer hanging about in the men's toilets. I was only there for about an hour!

Never been to one. Don't think my Surrey accent is conducive to a safe drinking environment (even in Surrey)

Just now, East London Guy said:

Excellent pubs.

My local non-Wetherspoon pub has a choice of three lagers plus Guinness, and they charge a small fortune for them.

My local Wetherspoon pub has a wide choice of well-kept beers at affordable prices.

The first pub is usually empty - except when the football is on - and the spoon is usually packed all the time.

The customers of Wetherspoon pubs varies a lot though, depending on what the area is like. I visited the Barking Dog 5years+ ago, I saw two punch-ups and I got cornered by a drug-dealer hanging about in the men's toilets. I was only there for about an hour!

I wouldn't advise hanging around in the men's toilets for an hour. Likely to get you into trouble.

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Love my local 'spoons in Peterlee. Full of alchy ex-coalminers getting ratted on their NCB pensions. And there's a bingo next-door where their wives spend the rest...

17094553852_dc9df23b1a_b.jpg

A few miles up the road in Seaham, they even have an outdoor area to sit and enjoy a beer and some food. Very popular with smokers...

9930019094_e9f5960e18_b.jpg

XYY

That's just like the one in chingford, minus the coal miners  xD

IMG_0633.JPG

They're highly variable.

Most are great but you get the odd one that is a alki magnet.

Strangely the Spoons in Bridport, Dorset was both.

I was there about 11 in the morning for a coffee and shelter from the rain.

One side was families and a party of smartly dressed pensioners drinking tea and eating cakes.

The other side of the central lane that led to the beer garden was drunks trying to avoid falling off their bar stools.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

They're highly variable.

Most are great but you get the odd one that is a alki magnet.

Strangely the Spoons in Bridport, Dorset was both.

I was there about 11 in the morning for a coffee and shelter from the rain.

One side was families and a party of smartly dressed pensioners drinking tea and eating cakes.

The other side of the central lane that led to the beer garden was drunks trying to avoid falling off their bar stools.

Ahh. Rural hill billies and middles class holiday makers.

3 minutes ago, GARCH said:

Cross Keys on Bishopsgate in the City is great - a truly cavernous space.

Yeah that's a lovely pub.

What do people think of the Sam Smith pubs? Aren't they supposed to be similar to Spoon pubs? I've only ever tried the Princess Louise, Holborn and I thought that was bit meh.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Weatherspoons gets a thumbs up from me. I'm definitely not too posh to eat/drink in one. During daylight hours anyway.

I'm not too posh to drink in one. I just sound like I am.

Love em.    The one in Bodmin is in a beautiful old converted chapel.

I sometimes think....those poor God fearing Souls....If they could see what all their hard work ended up.  A piss house.

Sppons.jpg.31ad0c29a0421b2b38cce280166a37b6.jpg

Edited by Wahoo
Added pic of local piss pot

1 minute ago, East London Guy said:

What do people think of the Sam Smith pubs? Aren't they supposed to be similar to Spoon pubs? I've only ever tried the Princess Louise, Holborn and I thought that was bit meh.

I Ike Sam smiths pubs.  Citee of York is quite nice 

Just now, East London Guy said:

The Princess Louise regularly used to win CAMRA awards, I thought it was great. Maybe it's gone downhill.

I didn't know that was a Sam Smith, the one I did go to sometimes, City of York,  also Holborn, didn't press me mainly because I don't rate their beers. Ditto Youngs pubs where I'd usually have something daft like an oatmeal stout to avoid their bitters.

Fullers on the other hand: drink along the bar, all the way from Chiswick Bitter up to Golden Pride (barley wine so half only!) and every one a winner.  Shame they've not made it to the south west.

2 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Love em.    The one in Bodmin is in a beautiful old converted chapel.

I sometimes think....those poor God fearing Souls....If they could see what all their hard work ended up.  A piss house.

I can proudly say that I have been in more Wetherspoons in Cornwall than there are Wetherspoons in Cornwall.

Sounds like I might have to give one a go. See if I can recreate that 'American werewolf in London' effect when I order a glass of Merlot.

If I go missing send a search party to Spoons, Woking.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I can proudly say that I have been in more Wetherspoons in Cornwall than there are Wetherspoons in Cornwall.

Me too.   

I think we'd get on :)

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Sounds like I might have to give one a go. See if I can recreate that 'American werewolf in London' effect when I order a glass of Merlot.

If I go missing send a search party to Spoons, Woking.

Spoons is good for wine.  A bottle is not that much more than in a supermarket 

10 minutes ago, East London Guy said:

I like Sam Smiths. They are the Morrisons of pubs.

I really like their organic lager. After doing the kids London trop we have a pint or two in the Chandos before hitting Chinatown.