• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
dgul

Twat

Twat = Vagina.

The OP is making a similar mistake as the famous poet Robert Browning, who did not know what the word meant and thought it was an item of nun's clothing.

Giving rise to one of the most famous poetic howlers in English literature.

Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry

Edited by Happy Renting

7 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Twat = Vagina.

The OP is making a similar mistake as the famous poet Robert Browning, who did not know what the word meant and thought it was an item of nun's clothing.

Giving rise to one of the most famous poetic howlers in English literature.

Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry

Of course, the poem actually makes sense whether it is clothing or anatomy (albeit one interpretation is a bit ruder).

26 minutes ago, dgul said:

Michael Fabricant (MP) thinks twat means the same as twit.  I'm in agreement.  Some girl on the internet thinks it means pussy -- she might technically be right, but it isn't so often used in this form in conversation.  

What says dosbods?

If he was in Liverpool then very offensive.

Much further south, just a mild insult.

But at the end of the day he still needs a good twatting.

Just read this article.

Fabricant is a bellend, I remember seeing him make an outright plum of himself on HIGNFY a while back. I think the word twat is offensive dependent on region, it's quite a versatile word so it's meaning can change with context.

More importantly, however, the complainant doesn't at all look like someone who craves publicity or has recently emigrated here from the planet Vulcan. Not at all.

Whenever I've seen Fabricant speak (not often) he seems to be a at one remove to everyone else, a bit different and odd.  Similar to John Redwood; a bit otherworldly.  I'd like to say autistic but @JackieO would give me a verbal battering for so doing, but that kind of thing.

The wig, presumably borrowed from @The XYY Man is a visible symbol of this not quite thereness. If he wanted to just hide he baldness he could wear a hat, if he wanted to pretend he had a full head of hair he could get a decently made wig, instead he wears a wig that is clearly a wig because it could not possibly be his own hair.  Odd.

I can well believe that he genuinely thought that twit and twat meant the same thing.

Yes, twat = vagina, but in my area its usage is much more aligned with twit, albeit notably more harsh.

Similarly I've had quite a difficult time recently explaining to some European colleagues that in modern English, the word bugger is not considered spectacularly rude (I place it roughly equidistant between damn and fuck on the scale), which they find quite hard to believe when they google the meaning.

Maybe it's just me, and I ought to be less liberal with my use of the word?

Edited by Fully Detached

On 05/05/2018 at 22:49, dgul said:

Michael Fabricant (MP) thinks twat means the same as twit.  I'm in agreement.  Some girl on the internet thinks it means pussy -- she might technically be right, but it isn't so often used in this form in conversation.  

What says dosbods?

It definitely has either meaning. I use it in the context of generic insult at least 100 times as often as I use it in the context of female genitalia. I would assume this meaning. 

And it’s not a misogynistic insult by virtue of its dual meaning as it is entirely interchangeable with dick, or cock, or penis, or even arse(hole).

Edited to add: Is it just appallingly written or has the actual sequence of tweets that form the basis of the story been omitted for a reason?

Edited by Hail the Tripod

22 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It definitely has either meaning. I use it in the context of generic insult at least 100 times as often as I use it in the context of female genitalia. I would assume this meaning. 

And it’s not a misogynistic insult by virtue of its dual meaning as it is entirely interchangeable with dick, or cock, or penis, or even arse(hole).

Edited to add: Is it just appallingly written or has the actual sequence of tweets that form the basis of the story been omitted for a reason?

It is too offensive for our delicate ears -- you have to fill in the gaps with your own perverted imagination.