• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Hughs fruitnveg thread

This pretty much says it all:

Another convenience store across the precinct does sell a few apples, oranges, onions and cabbages. But from the state of some of them, they are not in high demand.

Shops happily stock anything that sells.  The simple fact is there’s very little demand for fresh fruit and veg in these places.

Demand is the problem, not supply..  Amazon and most major supermarkets will ship fresh veg to your door anywhere in the country. 

17 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Shops happily stock anything that sells.  The simple fact is there’s very little demand for fresh fruit and veg in these places.

Demand is the problem, not supply..  Amazon and most major supermarkets will ship fresh veg to your door anywhere in the country. 

Not jus that. Newcastle has the Granger market. They could do the 2m walk - or short, cheap bus ride, for ~£2 and go to one the ht very good, cheap market stals.

Go there. Get a back pack of of veg and come home.

As far as the cost of the bs trip goes, the market in corner shops is shcoking.

There's a big Morrisons about ~15m walk away.

As far as blaming super markets and the like, the article then goes on to say there's loads of takeaways.

Nw, takeaways are not cheap. For the cost of a kebab @ ~9£ you could get veg fruit and veg for a family of 4 for ~4 days.

Its the benefit system Just turned people into lazy, useless fat cunts.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Not jus that. Newcastle has the Granger market. They could do the 2m walk - or short, cheap bus ride, for ~£2 and go to one the ht very good, cheap market stals.

Go there. Get a back pack of of veg and come home.

As far as the cost of the bs trip goes, the market in corner shops is shcoking.

There's a big Morrisons about ~15m walk away.

As far as blaming super markets and the like, the article then goes on to say there's loads of takeaways.

Nw, takeaways are not cheap. For the cost of a kebab @ ~9£ you could get veg fruit and veg for a family of 4 for ~4 days.

Its the benefit system Just turned people into lazy, useless fat cunts.

Hugh Fearnly Whitting-Wotsit has never let facts get in the way of sefl-publicity

BBC have been given an agenda to focus on obesity

BBC wonks: "It must be access to fresh food"

"Who do we have?"

"Let's call Hugh"

Edited by Hopeful

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Hugh Fearnly Whitting-Wotsit has never let facts get in the way of sefl-publicity

BBC have been given an agenda to focus on obesity

BBC wonks: "It must be access to fresh food"

"Who do we have?"

"Let's call Hugh"

Im guessing. I dont think theyve been given it by UKGOV, rather itll be a joint venture with the NHS - some pointless over [paid manager talking to another pointless over paid manager.

If you want to look at obesity. why not look at te demographics where it occurs?

IMHE I only see obese people (mainly women) at - local council, Nurses hospital, people on benefits.

The nurses is shocking.

Had to lug a relative to hospital a few times. 50% of the British nurse were fat to obese - and the ose are the ones who could b arsed to turn up.

A few Portguese nurses - dead slim.

HCA skinny - run ragged.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Im guessing. I dont think theyve been given it by UKGOV, rather itll be a joint venture with the NHS - some pointless over [paid manager talking to another pointless over paid manager.

If you want to look at obesity. why not look at te demographics where it occurs?

IMHE I only see obese people (mainly women) at - local council, Nurses hospital, people on benefits.

The nurses is shocking.

Had to lug a relative to hospital a few times. 50% of the British nurse were fat to obese - and the ose are the ones who could b arsed to turn up.

A few Portguese nurses - dead slim.

HCA skinny - run ragged.

NHS = UKGOV, surely ?

Jeremy Hunt > Civil Servant (or civil servant to Hunt to Civil servant) > BBC > twat,

Ultimately, and ironically, the So-Called BBC, though it's promotion of dumbed down life-styles, is probably at the heart of the matter itself.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

NHS = UKGOV, surely ?

Jeremy Hunt > Civil Servant (or civil servant to Hunt to Civil servant) > BBC > twat,

Ultimately, and ironically, the So-Called BBC, though it's promotion of dumbed down life-styles, is probably at the heart of the matter itself.

I dont think the UKGOV initiates these sort of things, at least not the Cons.

It'll be a part ofthe Dept of Health thing, chaired by regional directors, interacting with NHS regional managers.

There has been a increase in various fat/obese stories onthe BBC.

Stuff around - Obesity epidemic, diabetes to banckrupt NHS ...

I have a simple, no drug fix for diabetes - wire peoples teeth together. It works. And saves their life.

And, again, diabetes, really does not 'affect us all'. iTs really only a subset of the people Ive mentioned above.

Its almost like there's two species of humans evolving - people in the public sector and benefits, and people who work in the private sector.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I dont think the UKGOV initiates these sort of things, at least not the Cons.

It'll be a part ofthe Dept of Health thing, chaired by regional directors, interacting with NHS regional managers.

There has been a increase in various fat/obese stories onthe BBC.

Stuff around - Obesity epidemic, diabetes to banckrupt NHS ...

I have a simple, no drug fix for diabetes - wire peoples teeth together. It works. And saves their life.

And, again, diabetes, really does not 'affect us all'. iTs really only a subset of the people Ive mentioned above.

Its almost like there's two species of humans evolving - people in the public sector and benefits, and people who work in the private sector.

Can't disagree with that,

(Other than I I equate top NHS bods with UK Gov through Gove)

I'd say they have evolved already, and the genetic separation is complete.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Yep.  The big cook with fresh ingredients and plenty of veg takes time and planning and is usually a weekend treat for working people.

Go back fifty years when one average salary could run a house then wives could also spend this time during the week. No longer.

The idea of housewives doing the round of baker, butcher, greengrocer each morning to get fresh food every day seems like something from another age but it was still happening in the 1970s.

It's not that people have become lazy or uneducated; it's that successive governments' endless quest for higher house prices and GDP growth means that they're all out at work all day just to keep a roof over their heads.

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yep.  The big cook with fresh ingredients and plenty of veg takes time and planning and is usually a weekend treat for working people.

Go back fifty years when one average salary could run a house then wives could also spend this time during the week. No longer.

The idea of housewives doing the round of baker, butcher, greengrocer each morning to get fresh food every day seems like something from another age but it was still happening in the 1970s.

It's not that people have become lazy or uneducated; it's that successive governments' endless quest for higher house prices and GDP growth means that they're all out at work all day just to keep a roof over their heads.

These people are not at work all day ...

I'd say more allotments so people can grow their own but they are fraught with chaos and bad mental health issues. and if you don't have  a loony on your allotment then it's you.

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Shopping list and recipes?

7 hours ago, spygirl said:

Nine quid for a takeaway Kebab!?!

Is this proper chunks of organic Welsh mountain lamb, seasoned with the finest herbs and spices plucked personally by the chef that morning?

People are not at work all day. Take a day off work and walk round your town or village, almost every house is occupied. 

Fruit and vegetables aren't expensive either,  a bag of carrots is available year round and costs 50p.

The reason IS that people are lazy,  they would rather spend £15 on a Dominos pizza - which to me is daylight robbery, but they clearly have the money (in debt form or otherwise). They also don't k now how to cook because again they are lazy. Then they'll spend their time and money that they apparently don't have trying to shift the excess weight gained from eating too few vegetables. 

On 06/05/2018 at 08:07, Frank Hovis said:

Part of the problem is that the media, in order to sell books and TV programmes, promotes the idea that the 'big cook with fresh ingredients' is the only way to cook healthy food. 

An entire generation - probably two generations - have grown up believing that cooking at home with healthy ingredients is costly and requires time and special recipes. 

It's nonsense. Quick healthy food is easy to make and cheap to buy, but there is no money in promoting this so it tends to only be found online on frugal living sites, which neither the average wage slave or average dolie has any interest in. 

Today 's lunch for me is the leftovers of a proper joint of lamb from the butchers, made into a stirfry with frozen veg and noodles from the supermarket. Time to prepare, about 10 minutes. Cost, about £1.

Yep. Just two words needed. Stir fry.

Whatever you have, meat or veg wise, combined with whatever you fancy (soy, black bean, hoi sin etc)

The combination is endless. Every student should be packed off to uni with a wok and a decent cook's knife.

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Whatever you have, meat or veg wise, combined with whatever you fancy (soy, black bean, hoi sin etc)

The combination is endless. Every student should be packed off to uni with a wok and a decent cook's knife.

No self-respecting student was without a wok when I was a student :)

The other thing that's dead easy are stews and casseroles. Any cut of meat (particularly chicken thigh or cheap pork mince). 1 onion, 1 stick of celery, 1 carrot and either chicken stock or tinned tommies. Or alternatively onion, garlic and ginger and do the same. Add salt, pepper and the herbs/spices of your choice and serve with vegetables, pasta or rice for pretty much endless variety.

Nutritious, cheap, meal for 4 in an hour once you're well practiced.

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

IMO most school lessons after 14 should be about 'life skills' such as cooking, household management, finances etc, together with technical lessons to prepare teenagers to work in skilled trades. Academic lessons are pointless for most of them once they know the three 'Rs'. 

Of course, it won't happen because most of the teachers probably don't have those skills either!

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

IMO most school lessons after 14 should be about 'life skills' such as cooking, household management, finances etc, together with technical lessons to prepare teenagers to work in skilled trades. Academic lessons are pointless for most of them once they know the three 'Rs'. 

Of course, it won't happen because most of the teachers probably don't have those skills either!

And it won't happen because by dropping the academic lessons you would be "denying" their opportunity to waste £50k getting a useless degree.

18 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

No. That is what parents are for.

i have maybe 2 mini fish meals a week,i dont like spending money on takeaways,they cost £2.20 each and i steal most of my fruit though im puting weight on recently maybe its a coincidence but ive been eating a lot more fruit maybe 2 bannanas,3 tangerines and half a punnet of grapes every day,

53 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

No. That is what parents are for.

Problem is for kids who don't have a parent who cares enough to teach them these things? (Or who can't as they are too distracted but other stuff or absent or just too thick?) And a lot of these parents don't care about their diet enough to make an effort to change it. (Easier to blame fresh food being too expensive or tasteless or not available where they live?)

I do wonder why someone can't come up with a take away which sells healthier stuff which is most veg based. What about freshly made veg soups and rice/couscous/potato based salads and stews?  Maybe state subsidised to start with? (Selling no fizzy drinks or sugary/greasy crap whatsoever.) Maybe make it possible sign up to a weekly/monthly pick up service? Cost point/profit is all of course. 

I also think ppl have got used to HUGE portions (starting in childhood) so they will look at a small portion (like you get in the Far East street cafes) and think "that's just a snack, not a main meal"?! Need to educate that quality trumps quantity and it you really need more quantity you need to make sure it's mostly a low cal veg?   

And don't get me into "we all need a sugary treat/snack" mentality. (Which again starts with kids who are very young.) No-one in the UK is going to die from a bit of hunger during the day assuming they eat (properly) at least  once a day?

Ads on TV (for sweets and desserts etc) are borderline obscene now. Think the govt shd either ban them or force the ppl shown eatng them to be obese as they are always the sort of (slim/beautiful) ppl who will probably spit the product out as soon as the camera stops rolling?  

42 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

i have maybe 2 mini fish meals a week,i dont like spending money on takeaways,they cost £2.20 each and i steal most of my fruit though im puting weight on recently maybe its a coincidence but ive been eating a lot more fruit maybe 2 bannanas,3 tangerines and half a punnet of grapes every day,

In the summer months you can steal cherries, strawberries, blackcurrants, blackberries, apples, pears, plums, peaches even if you know where to look. Same with veg, before I grew my own I never bought plums or sweetcorn I just pinched them out the fields. Obviously depends where you live, if you're in Suffolk I hope you like turnips :Old:

19 minutes ago, whocares said:

Ads on TV (for sweets and desserts etc) are borderline obscene now. Think the govt shd either ban them or force the ppl shown eatng them to be obese as they are always the sort of (slim/beautiful) ppl who will probably spit the product out as soon as the camera stops rolling?  

I was going to say that kids don't watch TV now but then I realised these adverts are trying to appeal to fully grown adults - could possibly cross post this to Frank's Man/child thread. The gubbermint's " 2 A Day Max" healthy eating campaign is even more obscene. Is it aimed at 5 year olds?

Honestly I don't buy the idea that adults don't know that binging on chocolate and fast food makes you fat. Everyone knows that, even someone with a learning disability.

Most fat boomers are necking a bottle of wine every night and that is the reason they're fat too.