• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Child adults

More of an observation though there do seem to be more about these days.

I'm listening to Aled Jones, who I've just looked to see is 47, on Classic FM and despite being perfectly good at the job he comes across like a work experience trainee.  He has the voice of a teenager and is ridiculously fawning to other presenters who he seems to regard as proper grown-ups.

This is the standard phenomenon of the child star never really growing up: McCauley Culkin, Drew Barrymore, Michael Jackson, Kate Moss.

I've seen it with colleagues: one woman in her fifties who when the printer didn't work would never attempt to fix it herself but would just wait for someone else to turn up, one man in his late thirties who didn't take responsibility for anything.

She had a dominant husband, he had lived at home during and after his degree.

They all lacked that stage of finding yourself being pretty much on your own that most of us experienced (in fact I would go so far as to say everyone on here experienced) in our early twenties after the halfway house of college.

The period when for the first time you have to sort out and pay for everything.  When if something breaks you have to mend or replace it and if you lose your job then you'd better find another one fast.  I have said before that the years 21-24 were the worst in my life as I had all of that plus, and again this will be common to many here, the worst job of my life by a country mile.

This stage seems to being increasingly skipped these days.  A degree can very often mean you just return home and do a job you could have done at eighteen, and adults are living at home well into their thirties.

What this means is a growing number of snowflake / SJWs who, because they have always had it soft, think that everyone else should have it soft.

Whereas the number of people who've had to spend their whole adult life sorting themselves out and dealing with various crises on the way and so realise that life isn't "fair" and the apparently free money the government dishes out is stolen from working people is diminishing.

Roll that forwards twenty years and with current trends it's looking like an economic crisis developing with the country being unable to pay its bills and the currency crashing (see Argentina, currently).

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

More of an observation though there do seem to be more about these days.

I'm listening to Aled Jones, who I've just looked to see is 47, on Classic FM and despite being perfectly good at the job he comes across like a work experience trainee.  He has the voice of a teenager and is ridiculously fawning to other presenters who he seems to regard as proper grown-ups.

This is the standard phenomenon of the child star never really growing up: McCauley Culkin, Drew Barrymore, Michael Jackson, Kate Moss.

I've seen it with colleagues: one woman in her fifties who when the printer didn't work would never attempt to fix it herself but would just wait for someone else to turn up, one man in his late thirties who didn't take responsibility for anything.

She had a dominant husband, he had lived at home during and after his degree.

They all lacked that stage of finding yourself being pretty much on your own that most of us experienced (in fact I would go so far as to say everyone on here experienced) in our early twenties after the halfway house of college.

The period when for the first time you have to sort out and pay for everything.  When if something breaks you have to mend or replace it and if you lose your job then you'd better find another one fast.  I have said before that the years 21-24 were the worst in my life as I had all of that plus, and again this will be common to many here, the worst job of my life by a country mile.

This stage seems to being increasingly skipped these days.  A degree can very often mean you just return home and do a job you could have done at eighteen, and adults are living at home well into their thirties.

What this means is a growing number of snowflake / SJWs who, because they have always had it soft, think that everyone else should have it soft.

Whereas the number of people who've had to spend their whole adult life sorting themselves out and dealing with various crises on the way and so realise that life isn't "fair" and the apparently free money the government dishes out is stolen from working people is diminishing.

Roll that forwards twenty years and with current trends it's looking like an economic crisis developing with the country being unable to pay its bills and the currency crashing (see Argentina, currently).

See this a lot Frank. Loads of post 30 people who are like children, they can barely do anything for themselves. The quality of leadership that is permeated through society gets less in quality each year so when the shit hits the fan in 20 years things collapse whereas 50 years ago there was a general sense of can do and grit, stoicism, backbone, whatever you want to call it so there was a higher probability things would be held up by a hefty section of society that had a bit of gumption

A bit gendered, but think this Kipling poem sums it up  nicely:

If:

If you can keep your head when all about you   
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;   
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;   
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,   
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

11 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

See this a lot Frank. Loads of post 30 people who are like children, they can barely do anything for themselves. The quality of leadership that is permeated through society gets less in quality each year so when the shit hits the fan in 20 years things collapse whereas 50 years ago there was a general sense of can do and grit, stoicism, backbone, whatever you want to call it so there was a higher probability things would be held up by a hefty section of society that had a bit of gumption

Oh, when TSHTF in 20 years there'll be loads of people that will cope really well.  They're the EE immigrants.

I've seen a few examples of grown men, I'm talking men over the age of 25, walking around with clothing or backpacks with children's video game characters on them (Mario, Sonic, Pokemon) - and doing so un-ironically.

These are for little children, not grown men. Grown men sinking many hours into saving Princess Toadstool or finding Pokemon. You might as well walk around with a fucking Peppa Pig t-shirt.

When I was 18, if you were still obsessed with Mario people would think you were a bit 'special' - now there's 35 year olds getting on like giddy kids when the new game comes out.

You find this breed on YouTube a lot; generally a strange combination of the mannerisms of a child/adolescent, trapped in the body of an overweight balding late 20's/early 30's bloke (as they tend not to exercise or eat healthy).

I actually saw a child playing Pokemon Go on public transport last month.

First time I've seen such a thing in the wild.

Lost count of the number of hipsters I've seen getting excited over pokeballs or whatever on their mobiles over the last couple of years though...

They look so fucking listless too, like they are being held up by the shoulders, as they walk around two by two. Maybe we need to prey on these fuckers, that's what would have happened years ago.

I see this with my kid brother. 14 years younger than me so rolling up on 40 now.

Hes never had a situation the parents wouldn't sort out for him and he's never grown up and faced up to what I'd call being an adult

And in my sister, five years older than me so rolling up on late 50s. She's decided she's now retired, despite neither her nor her husband ever holding down a proper job for more than a year or so having no pension and having debts that they probably would struggle to pay off with a lifetime of hard graft. Again, parents on both sides and the Bennie system has bailed them out their entire lives and they seem to have no comprehension that one of those gravy trains is likely to end soon as parents die off and the other is pretty much doomed too.

Its endemic, and not just among the snowflake generation.

I was in the company of my wonderful younger brother. He spent the whole time playing some game on his computer, the whole time. Never went out. 

He is early fifties.  Blob like in stature with heart problems and diabetes.

Carried by my parents all his life.  Dug him out of financial hole after financial hole. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was in the company of my wonderful younger brother. He spent the whole time playing some game on his computer, the whole time. Never went out. 

He is early fifties.  Blob like in stature with heart problems and diabetes.

Carried by my parents all his life.  Dug him out of financial hole after financial hole. 

Remind me. When are your kids flying the nest?

😁

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Remind me. When are your kids flying the nest?

😁

Don’t, just don’t. o.O

Edit to add, I’ve never bailed them out. Helped them through uni but not by much and they were on their own to manage their budgets and organise their lives. 

Edited by One percent

must admit i hate diy,car maintanence ,gardening .i dont cook and have never owned an iron in my life.but that could mean im either lazy or a none conformist to the acepted norms of society or a manboy and im 52.i will fix things and decorate but only has a last resort i dont go looking for things to fix like many.i bought a semi decent moter 9 months ago and ive not washed it once why would i it will get dirty again.food wize ive got shed loads i just see no sense in spending anymore than 3 mins makeing it,and when im shacked up i dont even like women cooking for me has they expect me to clean the mess up.every single night ive worked in the last 3 months ive taken the same food to work it takes litteraly 30 seconds to put 2 boiled eggs in my lunch box with 3 slices of bread 2 tangerines and a packet of crisps and banana (i boil 12 eggs in 1 go at the start of the week) im quite happy just chilling with a beer and watching dvds or listening to music in short im probably a right lazy bastard

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

I see this with my kid brother. 14 years younger than me so rolling up on 40 now.

Hes never had a situation the parents wouldn't sort out for him and he's never grown up and faced up to what I'd call being an adult

And in my sister, five years older than me so rolling up on late 50s. She's decided she's now retired, despite neither her nor her husband ever holding down a proper job for more than a year or so having no pension and having debts that they probably would struggle to pay off with a lifetime of hard graft. Again, parents on both sides and the Bennie system has bailed them out their entire lives and they seem to have no comprehension that one of those gravy trains is likely to end soon as parents die off and the other is pretty much doomed too.

Its endemic, and not just among the snowflake generation.

My youngest cousin is the same.  Early 30s, just had an affair with a workmate and walked out on his Mrs & kid.  Moved straight back in with parents, washing done, bed made everyday, meals including packed lunch etc.  Can't do anything himself and not a care in the world.

Ex bro in law is the same.

3 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

My youngest cousin is the same.  Early 30s, just had an affair with a workmate and walked out on his Mrs & kid.  Moved straight back in with parents, washing done, bed made everyday, meals including packed lunch etc.  Can't do anything himself and not a care in the world.

Ex bro in law is the same.

I think if women had their way this is how they would like their kids to remain.

It is the blokes job to ensure this doesn't happen. It is the lion's job to kick the young cub out of the pride before they can take over. I see it in our family already.

Did the above examples have weak fathers?

Edited by Cunning Plan

5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think if women had their way this is how they would like their kids to remain.

It is the blokes job to ensure this doesn't happen.

Wouldn't say they had weak fathers no.

Both family's have quite a bit of money though so tend to just pay people to do things for them rather than doing things themselves and/or teaching their kids.

23 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

It is the blokes job to ensure this doesn't happen. It is the lion's job to kick the young cub out of the pride before they can take over. I see it in our family already.

might explain why so many young men wont work but sighn on and live with fat birds illegaly who will work,i know 3 30 ish year old fat women and there partners spend all day in bed and all night fking about playing online games drinking beer,all 3 of then men are normal weight .i asked one why she put up with it,she says he is good with the kids and it enables me to work nights and where will i find a man who will take on 3 kids under 10...