• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Multi-million pound Nuffield Southampton Theatre arts centre beset by problems just months after grand opening

Sounds like a typical building of today's times. Grandiose, a vanity project for someone, but nothing works, and there's no money(?) to fix it. Social Justice people are up in arms at the quickest opportunity too.

---

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

THE lifts don’t work and the restaurant manager has made his exit.

Southampton’s multimillion pound city centre arts is beset by problems just two months after its grand opening.

Nuffield Southampton Theatre (NST) threw open its doors in the city centre’s cultural quarter development February this year as one half of the £30m Studio 144.

Now city entrepreneur Spencer Bowman has stepped down from managing the theatre cafe bar Tyrells - which has already reduced its opening hours and stopped serving food.

Meanwhile people with disabilities have been denied access to the venue as the lifts are out of order and the box office had to offer refunds to theatre goers unable to the stairs.

The Echo can reveal that the lifts won’t be fixed until July.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16208348.City__39_s_multi-million_pound_arts_centre_beset_by_problems_just_months_after_grand_opening/#gallery4

Edited by 201p

Is there anything large scale that doesn't get fucked up?

That said, there isn't much that tops Birmingham Library for me. 189 million, thats 189 million pounds, ladies and gentlemen, for a library that opens six hours a weekend and costs 60k a day.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/shock-library-birmingham-new-opening-8966768

Unbelievably, they are saying that this library (nearly a fifth of a billion pounds, ladies and gents) needs a fucking 'funding package' to help support it.

Pretty sure you could have bought every man, woman and child in Birmingham a kindle and given them fifty quids worth of rolling credit instead of this gargantuan clusterfuck.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

That said, there isn't much that tops Birmingham Library for me. 189 million, thats 189 million pounds, ladies and gentlemen, for a library that opens six hours a weekend and costs 60k a day.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/shock-library-birmingham-new-opening-8966768

Unbelievably, they are saying that this library (nearly a fifth of a billion pounds, ladies and gents) needs a fucking 'funding package' to help support it.

Pretty sure you could have bought every man, woman and child in Birmingham a kindle and given them fifty quids worth of rolling credit instead of this gargantuan clusterfuck.

Covered with giant bicycle tyre rims looking at the photo in that article.

Clearly a vital part of any major public building and obviously money well spent.

Edited by Virgil Caine

24 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

That was one of those projects doomed from the start. It was always going to be a grotesque vanity project with the aim of being 'iconic' rather than an actual functioning library. 

I quite liked the old one, there was always the criticism that it split the city centre in two, but so what?

I had the pleasure of living in Birmingham during the regen at the back end of the 90s, they turned it into a great city. Then over-reached, spent too much money, now it's a shithole.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

17 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Cheaper common sense solutions like this won't keep the council workers in their nice little sinecures. 

I had to use a local library for a week as my internet was down. It was tiny so had hardly any books. Going in there every day for hours on end I can tell you it maybe had at most 10 people visit the entire day and for 90% of the time it was just me and the two librarians, who did nothing but sit, chat to each other and drink tea. The bigger library is just full of foriegners using the computers to check facebook and drunks and tramps passed out on the tables.

Close them all. Start a by mail kindle/book service where you just pop them back in the post after you're finished and get a van or two visiting locations round the city once a week. Instantly save tens of millions every year.