• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

JoeDavola

New Phone

Iphone 4 is on last legs because battery's on the way out. Gutted. 

Being a DOSBODS skinflint, but also not wanting to throw away something which essentially works well, I'm tempted to try a battery replacement myself as they're cheap as fuck on eBay....but the cameras a bit old and shit on it and I could probably get a much, much better phone for not a lot of money, right? 

Not sure what to get - the new phones all seem a bit fucking fragile. I'd love a Samsung Galaxy so I could use the Gear VR thing but they're a bit too steep for my liking; and as I say they seem a bit fragile - I'd be gutted to spend £600 on a phone and then the first time I drop it it cracks or scratches. The iPhone 4 is bombproof by comparison.

I've heard Motorola's stuff is pretty good and comes in under £200. Up until this point I've only ever owned Apple smartphones, and I've been very happy with them.

Any ideas? I'd be especially keen on something that is hard wearing that can have things like the battery replaced easily, so I can keep it for years and have a 'Triggers broom' thing going on.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Iphone 4 is on last legs because battery's on the way out. Gutted. 

Being a DOSBODS skinflint, but also not wanting to throw away something which essentially works well, I'm tempted to try a battery replacement myself as they're cheap as fuck on eBay....but the cameras a bit old and shit on it and I could probably get a much, much better phone for not a lot of money, right? 

Not sure what to get - the new phones all seem a bit fucking fragile. I'd love a Samsung Galaxy so I could use the Gear VR thing but they're a bit too steep for my liking; and as I say they seem a bit fragile - I'd be gutted to spend £600 on a phone and then the first time I drop it it cracks or scratches. The iPhone 4 is bombproof by comparison.

I've heard Motorola's stuff is pretty good and comes in under £200. Up until this point I've only ever owned Apple smartphones, and I've been very happy with them.

Any ideas? I'd be especially keen on something that is hard wearing that can have things like the battery replaced easily, so I can keep it for years and have a 'Triggers broom' thing going on.

I’ve just bought an 8 to replace my aging 5 which was driving me mad. I wanted it as it was the cheapest that would remote charge and my car has that capability. Just drop it in the holder and it charges. 

It is seriously good. The camera is superb.  See below for the first photo taken with it. The screen is just soooooo much better  I was squinting at the five, the eight is a lot clearer.  

I go the cheapskate route, if there is such a thing with crapple. I bought it outright from JL, cheaper than Apple and use a ten quid sim from Tesco. 

7C3D73FD-3505-4441-B8B8-36861E9FD6C6.jpeg

I have a Moto C, upgrade from my previous Moto B which has four times the memory at 16GB against 4GB.  I had it put in one of those rubberised cases with screen guard when i got it and it's not suffered any injuries despite being dropped a few times; though not from height onto a hard surface.

I'm with Tesco mobile (O2) so this was free under my two year contract; it would have cost £7.50 a month but because I was renewing they gave me a discount to £7.00 a month.  Plenty of calls and texts but you may find the data limit a bit low.  So for me the phone and two years of calls / text / data costs £168.  It does seem remarkably good value when you hear of people paying £40 a month / £960 over two years.

I like it and it's a clear improvement over my prior phone.

£200 will easily get you a grade 1 galaxy S6 s/h, which is the minimum spec for Gear VR compatibility. £200 should buy a decent more recent iPhone too if you like them.

Motorolas get well reviewed too. Lots of options. I'm still using a now very old Note2 just can't kill it.. Decent case helps a lot - Otterbox.  

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have a Moto C, upgrade from my previous Moto B which has four times the memory at 16GB against 4GB.  I had it put in one of those rubberised cases with screen guard when i got it and it's not suffered any injuries despite being dropped a few times; though not from height onto a hard surface.

I'm with Tesco mobile (O2) so this was free under my two year contract; it would have cost £7.50 a month but because I was renewing they gave me a discount to £7.00 a month.  Plenty of calls and texts but you may find the data limit a bit low.  So for me the phone and two years of calls / text / data costs £168.  It does seem remarkably good value when you hear of people paying £40 a month / £960 over two years.

I like it and it's a clear improvement over my prior phone.

I think the Tesco deals are incredibly good value. I get 4 whatever of data for my tenner a month. 

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

£200 will easily get you a grade 1 galaxy S6 s/h, which is the minimum spec for Gear VR compatibility. £200 should buy a decent more recent iPhone too if you like them.

Motorolas get well reviewed too. Lots of options. I'm still using a now very old Note2 just can't kill it.. Decent case helps a lot - Otterbox.  

There's actually an S7 for sale near me for £200; just a bit wary about buying second hand:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/samsung/samsung-s7-32gb/1297759025

3 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Get an Oculus Go. Came out last week, basically a standalone VR system that doesn't need a phone and plays all Gear VR stuff, for £199.

Yeah I'm watching it with interest. Gonna see what sort of content comes out - it looks very cool indeed.

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

What os system do you want to do with joe?  Once you’ve had crapple, you never go back. o.O

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

There's actually an S7 for sale near me for £200; just a bit wary about buying second hand:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/samsung/samsung-s7-32gb/1297759025

Yeah I'm watching it with interest. Gonna see what sort of content comes out - it looks very cool indeed.

I buy a shit ton of stuff second hand, in the case of the phone make sure it is not locked/barred, asked if any proof of purchase / contact etc and check it charges up, apart from that not much to check really - just have a play with it - buttons  controls / screen to make sure working OK, least Gumtree is face to face, most of stuff I buy direct on ebay. A decent cover would partially cover the minor ding too.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

What os system do you want to do with joe?  Once you’ve had crapple, you never go back. o.O

I just know the galaxy phones are meant to be good, and as I say being able to try gear VR would be a bonus (although likely one I'd tire of quickly). I do like Apple stuff, but could be tempted away!

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Don't get the S7 edge, it's pretty but annoying. (mine was a present, wouldn't dream of buying such a thing myself)

Camera is v good and it's not a bad phone, but get one of the models with more memory, after a few apps are loaded it's getting a bit stuck sometimes.

Right so the S7 edge is annoying but the S7 might be ok?

Just now, JoeDavola said:

I just know the galaxy phones are meant to be good, and as I say being able to try gear VR would be a bonus (although likely one I'd tire of quickly). I do like Apple stuff, but could be tempted away!

Yeah it's the edge bit that's annoying, otherwise seems a good phone. Spend a bit more and get the most memory you can though.

Changing the battery on iphone is easy enough, but it never quite works out as well as you'd think it should.  I can only guess that the third party batteries are all a bit crap.

You can get great phones for around the £100 mark.  Sure, they won't be the ultimate tech, but they'll be superior to the ultimate tech from a couple of years ago.  I really don't know why someone would spend over £500 on a device for tapping out emails and looking at cat videos on the train.

That said, I have observed that people find it difficult to hop between the android<-->iphone systems.  I can see why (a bit) -- I use android mainly but develop on iphone, and it's always doing something stupid.  I guess that if you're used to iphone the same works in reverse.

[it is a bit deeper than that -- apple works very hard to ensure that the iphone ecosystem 'just works' -- but only on apple.  What you tend to find is that people go from iphone to android and then moan that itunes isn't working properly -- strange that.  Google also finds it difficult to get stuff working on the ios ecosystem.  Also strange.  Anyway, It all works better if you change ecosystem with the change in tech, but that is a massive leap.  Hence people stick with ios because any half-hearted attempts to move often ends in frustration.  Not showstoppers, but little tiny things that collectively make people think that their original os was better.]

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

Changing the battery on iphone is easy enough, but it never quite works out as well as you'd think it should.  I can only guess that the third party batteries are all a bit crap.

You can get great phones for around the £100 mark.  Sure, they won't be the ultimate tech, but they'll be superior to the ultimate tech from a couple of years ago.  I really don't know why someone would spend over £500 on a device for tapping out emails and looking at cat videos on the train.

That said, I have observed that people find it difficult to hop between the android<-->iphone systems.  I can see why (a bit) -- I use android mainly but develop on iphone, and it's always doing something stupid.  I guess that if you're used to iphone the same works in reverse.

[it is a bit deeper than that -- apple works very hard to ensure that the iphone ecosystem 'just works' -- but only on apple.  What you tend to find is that people go from iphone to android and then moan that itunes isn't working properly -- strange that.  Google also finds it difficult to get stuff working on the ios ecosystem.  Also strange.  Anyway, It all works better if you change ecosystem with the change in tech, but that is a massive leap.  Hence people stick with ios because any half-hearted attempts to move often ends in frustration.  Not showstoppers, but little tiny things that collectively make people think that their original os was better.]

Yeah the batteries on eBay seem suspiciously cheap. There's an official apple one for £30, but that seems too much ironically - £30 can be put towards a new phone.

I might sound like a luddite here, but I don't really have that many apps installed (Spotify's the only one I can think of), nor do I transfer much stuff to and from the phone.

So I'm wondering what challenges I'd actually face by switching to Android.

Edited by JoeDavola

6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The Edge will likely compromise any case you get for protection too, not a smart design for a durable phone.

Just got my partner a Sony ZX Compact, grade A for £265. Feels like a really nice phone, not too big and feels like one piece of material. Great spec without a laptop size screen! We did try a Huwai P8 Lite but the GPS was really shit, camera was very slow and she generally didn't like it so it went back. Hopefully it will last a while as it was over budget :(

Xiaomi Redmi Plus - about £180 for the 64GB version. All depends what bands you need for your network. The international version, which is sold on Amazon, does not have band 20 IIRC but the global version does - but finding one of them is difficult unless you order from Hong Kong.

The 32 global version is here for £120 from aliexpress:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/global-version-new-xiaomi-redmi-s2-3gb-32gb-snapdragon-625-octa-core-599-189-full-screen-dual-camera-12mp5mp-smartphone-11984-for-gold-xiaomi-online-store-aliexpress-2936659

I am hoping that the 64GB Global version will turn up on one of the EU Amazon's in the next month or so.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

I might sound like a luddite here, but I don't really have that many apps installed (Spotify's the only one I can think of), nor do I transfer much stuff to and from the phone.

So I'm wondering what challenges I'd actually face by switching to Android.

None, I run PC's / Macs / MacBooks and there's stuff I like and dislike about both, with the new MacBooks the design is so compromised I won't be buying a new one. Never run an iPhone though but the ones I've played with never made me think I was missing anything, well when I bought the Note 2 the newest/best iPhone looked like a toy in comparison but then I prefer bigger screens.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yeah it's the edge bit that's annoying, otherwise seems a good phone. Spend a bit more and get the most memory you can though.

Can't you just buy an SD card for it..     Or is that what you mean?

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah the batteries on eBay seem suspiciously cheap.

How much do you think a Li-on battery should cost? You can get the ones for toy helicopters etc. for about a quid each.

12 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Can't you just buy an SD card for it..     Or is that what you mean?

My previous 4gb phone filled up with the updates from apps that couldn't be removed or moved onto the SD card; the SD card carried the apps I had downloaded plus photos.  So I went for 16gb this time which mean problem solved.