• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Everentt

Private police

Remember the Guardian Angels on the undergorund? Well, now we have this: http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/07/private-police-force-roll-nationally-success-london-7526863/

This private security firm was set up by former senior police officers, so they must have an excellent insight into the failings of their previous employer.

If done well, it would be a chance to shed political correctness, targets and bureaucracy. If the company recruits sharp, charismatic, helpful, persuasive operators, I could almost seeing this being more true to the original Peelian principles than our current state force. After all, most of the time bobbies never use force, so a lot can be accomplished by talking and giving words of advice. All that is needed is for the public to have confidence in and respect for them.

At the other end, they could have a backroom with lawyers 24h/day so that guidance can be given on the fly. Recording equipment so that evidence can be gathered, and calibrated equipment, so for example, an incident with a problem neighbour could result in a pack the next day for submission to court.

You just know the sort of person who is going to be attracted to this job. No fucking thank you.

Added to that, surely an organisation that has such a direct relationship with their customers (as opposed to the rather more distant relationship between the actual police and the tax payer) is at risk of being, shall we say, over-motivated to provide "results"?

1 hour ago, Everentt said:

Remember the Guardian Angels on the undergorund? Well, now we have this: http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/07/private-police-force-roll-nationally-success-london-7526863/

This private security firm was set up by former senior police officers, so they must have an excellent insight into the failings of their previous employer.

If done well, it would be a chance to shed political correctness, targets and bureaucracy. If the company recruits sharp, charismatic, helpful, persuasive operators, I could almost seeing this being more true to the original Peelian principles than our current state force. After all, most of the time bobbies never use force, so a lot can be accomplished by talking and giving words of advice. All that is needed is for the public to have confidence in and respect for them.

At the other end, they could have a backroom with lawyers 24h/day so that guidance can be given on the fly. Recording equipment so that evidence can be gathered, and calibrated equipment, so for example, an incident with a problem neighbour could result in a pack the next day for submission to court.

How is this any different from existing private security companies? I.e. what makes them private police rather than private security guards?

22 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

How is this any different from existing private security companies? I.e. what makes them private police rather than private security guards?

To make it sound safer, fluffier and less like the rich circling the wagons leaving the rest of humanity outside?

Edit :- Robocops next, if you're not carrying the ID to enter the private road and you face/gait doesn't match the residents list,, you'll become a target.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

Just pure scum IMO 

Zero respect from me. 

If you want to be a copper join the police, don't come anywhere near me thinking you have any kind of "authority" #MyLocalKnobber

Edited by WorkingPoor

It'll just be another grabby bunch of ill trained self servers taking every opportunity to scam some more money out of the general public and boost dodgy profits at the expense of the law abiding citizen.

On top of the security guards on every door - yuk. 

People need the police force to get better, a lot better, not more harsh and decline further into the money pit gutter.  Not to mention Hillsborough and hurty words policing.

No thank you very much.

Edited by twocents

I think this is all part of the plan IMPO.

First you make London unsafe for the indigenous population. Then you get calls for some kind of self-funded private police force and so, reluctantly, you agree to licence them.

I suspect that we will suddenly begin to see plenty of such private police ready to go in certain areas of London and other UK cities. Voila - sharia law imposed in those areas.

Tell me that I am paranoid?

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

First you make London unsafe for the indigenous population. Then you get calls for some kind of self-funded private police force and so, reluctantly, you agree to licence them.

I suspect that we will suddenly begin to see plenty of such private police ready to go in certain areas of London and other UK cities. Voila - sharia law imposed in those areas.

I thought that just from seeing the thread title, but thought it was too depressing to post.

Same thing with the coroner; it's not about being handled in a timely fashion, they want a completely discrete system and will drive others to demand it on their behalf and then think they have "won" when it is granted.

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Some already have their own "private police", and have had for some time. A registered charity too.

24936FBE00000578-0-image-a-58_1420939394

Edited by Carl Fimble
addingthe charity bit