• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Mihnjeeta

What does equality mean?

Question 1 on my mandatory "equality, diversity and inclusion" module and I sense that I may be here a while. How dare I attempt to treat everyone I meet with equal respect and courtesy, what a horrible, wicked person I must be: 

equalityandfairness.PNG

16 minutes ago, Mihnjeeta said:

Question 1 on my mandatory "equality, diversity and inclusion" module and I sense that I may be here a while. How dare I attempt to treat everyone I meet with equal respect and courtesy, what a horrible, wicked person I must be: 

equalityandfairness.PNG

Is that a genuine thing that people actually have to spend their own time and oxygen filling out?

Christ on a bike.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Is that a genuine thing that people actually have to spend their own time and oxygen filling out?

Christ on a bike.

I had to do six of these last year. Equality, prevent, data protection and some others I have managed to blank out of my mind. My appraisal was not a pleasant place to be. o.O

I had to do one of those.

One of the questions was "are you more helpful than other people".

It was multiple choice. The answers available were;

A. Yes.

B. No.

C. Sometimes.

The correct answer is obviously C. It's context dependant.

Depending on what you want, whether it's something in my skillset, and how I feel, I can be immensely helpful. For some things I'm no fucking use at all.

That was marked wrong.

The correct answer was gven as B. No.

Apparently I'm never more helpful than other people, it's only my unconscious bias fucking with my head. We're all equally as helpful as each other.

xD

What an utter fucking waste of everybody's time.

Edited by SpectrumFX

I am frankly amazed that my company doesn't make me do similar rubbish; but it doesn't and I am not about to put the idea into their head by asking why we don't.

That OP question is very 1984 (yes, I know we keep referencing that!) in its redefinition of what a common word means.

If they had said what practices would minimise or eliminate disadvantage to certain groups of people then you probably would have gone for D; but that wasn't the question put.

The question asked for a factual definition.

All the answers are seeking an interpretation .

So, in theory, there is no wrong answer.

But I love the fact that they use 'not quite' rather than plain 'wrong' to minimise hurt to your feelings.

I am so glad I don't have a diversity and equality officer at work.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

The question asked for a factual definition.

All the answers are seeking an interpretation .

So, in theory, there is no wrong answer.

But I love the fact that they use 'not quite' rather than plain 'wrong' to minimise hurt to your feelings.

I am so glad I don't have a diversity and equality officer at work.

I think you should implement this training for you staff of one. 

Just now, One percent said:

I think you should implement this training for you staff of one. 

No real need. She is younger than me, blonde, and a size 6 with big baps.

That is as diverse from me as I can get. Box ticked.

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

No real need. She is younger than me, blonde, and a size 6 with big baps.

That is as diverse from me as I can get. Box ticked.

Does she make your lunch?  Exploitative. 

3 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Fuck this Equality Bollocks.

We arn't all bloody equal!!!

Equality of opportunity is the key

We don’t have equality of opportunity though. Not everyone can go to Eton and then read PPE at Oxford. They never mention this one though do they. Oh no.  Equality only applies when they are trying to undermine the plebs. 

I had exactly this rubbish at the start of my management training apprenticeship. The right answer is wrong, and vice versa. And extremism is a far right thing.

4 hours ago, One percent said:

I had to do six of these last year. Equality, prevent, data protection and some others I have managed to blank out of my mind. My appraisal was not a pleasant place to be. o.O

Same at my place.  It's all box ticking bullshit. 

Latest one this year is a push on mental health.  Keep getting emails and notices about stress and how to unwind and deal with it, numbers for help lines etc. While at the same time giving me a default promotion (which I don't want) without a pay rise and expecting me to work 10hr days with 1hr + commute each way on top and telling me I'm only entitled to a 30min break each day, absolute joke.

7 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

I had exactly this rubbish at the start of my management training apprenticeship. The right answer is wrong, and vice versa. And extremism is a far right thing.

It’s like we have all been turned into winston smith. 

5 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Same at my place.  It's all box ticking bullshit. 

Latest one this year is a push on mental health.  Keep getting emails and notices about stress and how to unwind and deal with it, numbers for help lines etc. While at the same time giving me a default promotion (which I don't want) without a pay rise and expecting me to work 10hr days with 1hr + commute each way on top and telling me I'm only entitled to a 30min break each day, absolute joke.

Is it a promotion if there is no pay rise attached? Or a dumping of extra work and responsibility?  I feel your pain as I had this. Did it for four years and then said fuck off, I’m not doing this. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s like we have all been turned into winston smith. 

Is it a promotion if there is no pay rise attached? Or a dumping of extra work and responsibility?  I feel your pain as I had this. Did it for four years and then said fuck off, I’m not doing this. 

Definitely the later.  Moved my boss on to another project and just expected me to take over.  I'm currently weighing up my options.

3 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Definitely the later.  Moved my boss on to another project and just expected me to take over.  I'm currently weighing up my options.

Just say no.  I stupidly put up with it for four years. The conversation I had with my line manager followed the following lines

i don’t want to do this anymore. 

There is no one else to do it

I’m not getting paid any extra than my colleagues or given the time to do it

well, the big boss might not let you step down

fuck off (a bit more diplomatically but not by much)

I’m eight months the other side of this shite and have a much easier life. Learnt the hard way to just say no. 

OP, what  happens if you refuse to respond to this shit, and claim that it’s some sort of offence against your beliefs? Invent some appropriate beliefs and challenge it. Someone has to start fighting back. The UK will be as Sweden is portrayed by that Danish comedian soon if everyone bends over and lubes up their arse when HR send out such crap.

Equality has been redefined into a form of stealth devil take the hindmost with the most grabby and dishonest doing the best.  Charities, bank bailouters and affirmative actioners and so on.

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

OP, what  happens if you refuse to respond to this shit, and claim that it’s some sort of offence against your beliefs? Invent some appropriate beliefs and challenge it. Someone has to start fighting back. The UK will be as Sweden is portrayed by that Danish comedian soon if everyone bends over and lubes up their arse when HR send out such crap.

It does seem to me that certain aspects of Methodism and its off shoots (see Wiki) consider that Christians should be content with their lot in life because that is what God has ordained for them.

Worth objecting to these right on teachings invented by air head SJWs on religious grounds.

14 minutes ago, Byron said:

It does seem to me that certain aspects of Methodism and its off shoots (see Wiki) consider that Christians should be content with their lot in life because that is what God has ordained for them.

Worth objecting to these right on teachings invented by air head SJWs on religious grounds.

That was maybe ok- ish when christianity was the dominant religion with a defender of the faith etc.  Now that that's just another thing to be reneged on by the great and the good it doesn't seem to make much sense anymore.

These days it seems to be more like they're defending the religion of the devil take the hindmost.

Edited by twocents

So does equality mean giving me the CEOs job because I’m disabled in whatever characteristics it is that they used to get it? Surely that’s where this argument leads?

Or maybe I should have been allowed to be a pilot like my childhood dream. Despite my eyesight defect and my tendency to motion sickness? Those are just disabilities which I shouldn’t have been discrimminated against over.

This bullshit is slowly creeping in where I work too. Glad I’ll be retiring soon....

13 hours ago, Mihnjeeta said:

equalityandfairness.PNG

That description sounds rather like the description of a certain system they tried in South Africa.  I think they called it Apartheid