• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Napoleon Dynamite

MAME

Has anybody got or build themselves a mame/retro pi type setup?

I've seen a few things on ebay and I'm considering buying one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Arcade-Games-Console-2018-MODEL-HDMi-Wireless-Ps3-gamepads/302602528752

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Arcade-Machine-64Gb-Raspberry-Pi-3-Console-RetroPie-Game-Emulator/282822803841

Not sure whether to buy the lot pre made and it will just plug and play, or whether to buy it all separately and make more of a project out of it. 

Unsure of whether to go the Pi route, or get a more powerful kodi type.

Anybody bought or tinkered with similar?

I've got one, it's fucking brilliant, like a museum of gaming. 64 GIG worth of stuff I think.

The best bit is the UI's which have screenshots, box art, and a little description of the game and in some cases it's historical significance.

I'm not a 'gamer' any more but I love my PI as I can just fire it on for 15 minutes and browse the entire history of gaming (everything before discs were used as storage anyway).

The PI isn't powerful enough to run most of the N64 stuff, but FZero X on the N64 is my favorite racing game ever, and it runs it just fine.

I've "built" a Raspberry Pi games machine. 

Basically consists of a Raspberry Pi, Outer case, USB controller (SNES knock off) and an SD card. All that was considerably less than those £100 setups and virtually identical. 

I've got NES, SNES, Master System, Megadrive, Spectrum, MAME and a few others.

Posted (edited)

A little example for those who are into gaming history, I was browsing the MegaDrive stuff a week or so ago and found a first person shooter that pre-dates Wolfenstein 3D by several years.

For a software nerd and gamer in my youth, that was really interesting that someone created a FPS several years before Wolfenstein, and that they'd managed to get it running on MegaDrive hardware (without any additional graphics chips on the cartridge that both Sega and Nintendo occasionally used toward the end of these systems lives).

Edited by JoeDavola

I built a retro game machine using an old arcade cabinet and an old PC.
This was in 2002 so a rasperry PI wasn't an option back then.
Over the years its become more of a piece of furniture than something that gets regular use. Great for having friends over though!

26 minutes ago, MrFancyPants said:

Over the years its become more of a piece of furniture than something that gets regular use. Great for having friends over though!

I've got a cabinet in waiting, I'll take a piccy, going to use as entertainment / video player and mame machine for the workshop/man cave.

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I've got one, it's fucking brilliant, like a museum of gaming. 64 GIG worth of stuff I think.

The best bit is the UI's which have screenshots, box art, and a little description of the game and in some cases it's historical significance.

I'm not a 'gamer' any more but I love my PI as I can just fire it on for 15 minutes and browse the entire history of gaming (everything before discs were used as storage anyway).

The PI isn't powerful enough to run most of the N64 stuff, but FZero X on the N64 is my favorite racing game ever, and it runs it just fine.

1 hour ago, gilf said:

I've "built" a Raspberry Pi games machine. 

Basically consists of a Raspberry Pi, Outer case, USB controller (SNES knock off) and an SD card. All that was considerably less than those £100 setups and virtually identical. 

I've got NES, SNES, Master System, Megadrive, Spectrum, MAME and a few others.

That's great.

Knowing your setup, configuring a Raspberry Pi setup from parts (rather than buying pre-built) is the way I'll go then.

The pre-built stuff concerns me that if it breaks I won't know how to fix it.  I've never got round to buying a pi yet, this can be my excuse.

It's the retro arcade stuff I'm mostly interested in, but Megadrive and SNES too.  Any N64 stuff is a bonus.

Will keep this thread updated with how it goes.  Spunko feel free to move to Hobbies forum.

41 minutes ago, MrFancyPants said:

I did similar, got rid of it when I moved house.  Stupid in hindsight, I should've kept it.

cabinet.thumb.jpg.e2592cb66ed1e34969d0397f844ed489.jpgtunnycade.thumb.jpg.1bc84c4ce1f6fdee1f9ee3966ee2cf67.jpgimg00011.thumb.jpg.893857d1807e678c09474f5b69d05c6f.jpg

2 minutes ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

That's great.

Knowing your setup, configuring a Raspberry Pi setup from parts (rather than buying pre-built) is the way I'll go then.

The pre-built stuff concerns me that if it breaks I won't know how to fix it.  I've never got round to buying a pi yet, this can be my excuse.

It's the retro arcade stuff I'm mostly interested in, but Megadrive and SNES too.  Any N64 stuff is a bonus.

Will keep this thread updated with how it goes.  Spunko feel free to move to Hobbies forum.

I know fuck all about config; I just got a mate to download a pre-built image. If it stops working I'm fucked. Hopefully it won't.

I bought a Pi Zero a while ago for no other reason than it was very cheap. Having had it sat about for ages I decided to try RetroPie on it. It was easy to set it up just using the instructions I found on the net, and to install the collection of Megadrive ROMs I've had for many years (got them off a Dreamcast Genesis emulator disc I torrented many years ago).

It runs fine with an ebay cheapy SNES-knockoff USB controller. I've tried plugging in an unpowered USB hub to see if I can use a keyboard or mouse at the same time, which makes adjusting some of the settings easier- that didnt work. I haven't tried it with two controllers. I think I've got a load of SNES and PC Engine ROMS somewhere, I ought to shove them on.

22 minutes ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

That's great.

One thing about the Pi is that which it seems cheap (and it is) you then need an SD card, keyboard and mouse and power supply. 

If you have all those great but if not it turns a £35 computer in to something more like £50+, still a great bit of kit all the same and more than capable of running MAME and a ton of other Emulators. 

I've done it a few times over the years, each time with cheaper hardware.  It's got to the point now where the Pi is practically free.

I struggled through the games on tape years -- it was fun enough.  But I find it amazing that the Pi can run all the arcade games original code behind a hardware emulation layer.  I know that the computers are now much more powerful, etc, but it amazes me nonetheless.

I've considered putting a proper arcade console together -- I'd definitely make it as a table model.  That way it wouldn't actually take any room in the house, provided that you use it as a table most of the time (a glass top should be robust enough.  I've thought that you could make a solid wood top for it, to cover the console when fancy guests come round and it would just be another piece of furniture.

On 09/05/2018 at 16:28, JoeDavola said:

I know fuck all about config; I just got a mate to download a pre-built image. If it stops working I'm fucked. Hopefully it won't.

Grab a copy of the SD card using something like w32image. Then its a piece of piss to build another one.

On 09/05/2018 at 15:13, JoeDavola said:

A little example for those who are into gaming history, I was browsing the MegaDrive stuff a week or so ago and found a first person shooter that pre-dates Wolfenstein 3D by several years.

For a software nerd and gamer in my youth, that was really interesting that someone created a FPS several years before Wolfenstein, and that they'd managed to get it running on MegaDrive hardware (without any additional graphics chips on the cartridge that both Sega and Nintendo occasionally used toward the end of these systems lives).

<YORKSHIREACCENT>Luxury!</YORKSHIREACCENT>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encounter_(video_game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlezone_(1980_video_game)

I'll be astonished if there aren't others...