• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Doctors

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Huge row in reception at our doctors today. Lady late for appointment (Couldn't leave child until child's parent arrived) 
Was a few minutes late and the machine wouldn't let her sign in.
So she joined the queue.
And was eventually 10 minutes late when she finally got to speak to a receptionist.

So her appointment had been cancelled, the doctor was finished for the day and was off. No appointment.

She was rowing with one of the practice staff about this. The person she was rowing with loved telling her off. Was horrendous to listen to. Pulse went up to 97! 

So. My appointment time comes and goes.
20 minutes later I get to go in. 
He apologises... 

So.

Be a couple of minutes late and it's tough, but they can be as late for you as they like?

This god like attitude pisses me off no end. What they are saying is that their time is far more important than your time. 

Just now, One percent said:

This god like attitude pisses me off no end. What they are saying is that their time is far more important than your time. 

Yes.

I wanted to get up and go and assist this lady, but mostly so I didn't have to listen to an almighty row.
She should have been asked to go into a room to discuss the matter OR the doctor sat there waiting for my FIL to go in ten minutes later could have seen her!
It's not rocket science - there must be a simple way of knowing who has time free. 

She's gone and registered at the practice opposite now.
But the receptionists were bitching about her in front of my husband who went and sat in reception to wait for my FIL.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Yes.

I wanted to get up and go and assist this lady, but mostly so I didn't have to listen to an almighty row.
She should have been asked to go into a room to discuss the matter OR the doctor sat there waiting for my FIL to go in ten minutes later could have seen her!
It's not rocket science - there must be a simple way of knowing who has time free. 

But the receptionists were bitching about her in front of my husband who went and sat in reception to wait for my FIL.

Such appalling lack of professionalism is endemic. 

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Yes.

Was the receptionist English?

We have a Mrs Ratface Acid drop receptionist too.

I think that they are a special breed and come from a tribe living high up in the Welsh Mountains fed on brimstone, garlic and vinegar from childhood.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Define English.

What I was angling at was that if you get someone who is a pleasant and efficient receptionist it is more likely from my observations that the person will be a well educated and intelligent person somewhere from eastern Europe rather than someone educated in the UK who thinks that the job they are doing is beneath them.

35 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Huge row in reception at our doctors today. Lady late for appointment (Couldn't leave child until child's parent arrived) 
So she joined the queue.
And was eventually 10 minutes late when she finally got to speak to a receptionist.

So her appointment had been cancelled, the doctor was finished for the day and was off. No appointment.

She was rowing with one of the practice staff about this. The person she was rowing with loved telling her off. Was horrendous to listen to. Pulse went up to 97! 

He apologises... 

So.

Be a couple of minutes late and it's tough, but they can be as late for you as they like?

The NHS is the worlds biggest monoply - seriously, look at tge figures.

And it behaves like the worlds biggest monopoly.

The whole lot needs gutting.

First step, better records, so you can choose gps and let tgem comoete.

Two, 20£ gp appointment fee.

Three, ability to travel out of local area - even abroad for treatment.

Four, ban all moonlighting.

50 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

So she joined the queue.

He apologises... 

So.

A doctor’s time is precious but the time of an ordinary person doesn’t matter IMO. Well that’s what they think!

That’s what I’ve observed over the years from doctors, dentists, hospitals etc

Doctors etc are under pressure, harassed, other things to attend to. Well, hello, other working people are the same! Most don’t get paid doctor’s salaries any many don’t get paid at all while attending such appointments!

I’ve often wished I could fine them for wasting my time while sitting waiting half an hour or much more for my allocated maximum consultation or treatment time.

51 minutes ago, MrPin said:

What happened to the doctors I remember as a child? They were never too busy to see you, and they used to show you leeches and brain saws, until you got better.O.o

Indeed. They even visited you at home to give a diagnosis and suggest treatment when your mother had you tucked up in bed when you were ill!

I guarantee the receptionist was fat and unhealthy too. They all seem to be round here.

On a positive note I asked for a copy of my child's x-rays, mri scan and CT scan. About 5 years ago I had to pay £25 and sit while someone operated the computer and burned a cd for me.This time I just filled in a form including an email address and they emailed a link with some login details and today I downloaded every scan and x-ray available. I asked if there was a charge and the guy said yes, £25. He asked if I'd like to pay there and then and I said I'd pay online later when I use the online system. Logged in today and there's no sign of how to pay, just a download link. Result! 😀

10 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I guarantee the receptionist was fat and unhealthy too. They all seem to be round here.

On a positive note I asked for a copy of my child's x-rays, mri scan and CT scan. About 5 years ago I had to pay £25 and sit while someone operated the computer and burned a cd for me.This time I just filled in a form including an email address and they emailed a link with some login details and today I downloaded every scan and x-ray available. I asked if there was a charge and the guy said yes, £25. He asked if I'd like to pay there and then and I said I'd pay online later when I use the online system. Logged in today and there's no sign of how to pay, just a download link. Result! 😀

Clearly they think you are a health tourist and there is no way they would ever collect the fee.

IIRC GPs are not NHS employees are they? Hang over from the NHS in 40s when it was set up so they are private companies charging the NHS, working part time if they wish and work as  consultants using the NHS facilities and equipment effectively for free while they rake in 'private' fees. And Doctors are vastly overpaid when compared to eg France.

Edited by satch

Sister in law cancelled seeing my wife today because she was taking her 18 year old lad to the doctors. Can't help feeling a bit cynical about this.

We've got a few male dosbodders on here that haven't visited their doctor since the 1960s. We are talking a fit healthy lad and it wont be the firsr time and jeez at 18 the thought of involving my mother would have been a shocker.

I'd have gone without her knowing unless I was dying.

Can't help feeling this visiting the doctor is a bit of a lifestyle choice for some.

On 09/05/2018 at 19:46, sarahbell said:

So she joined the queue.

He apologises... 

So.

You not learned anything?

In the NHSSR everyone is equal, except people who work for the NHS who are more equal.

Shold not be giving more money to GPs. Give less. Let people opt out and move their helth business where they want.

27 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Sister in law cancelled seeing my wife today because she was taking her 18 year old lad to the doctors. Can't help feeling a bit cynical about this.

We've got a few male dosbodders on here that haven't visited their doctor since the 1960s. We are talking a fit healthy lad and it wont be the firsr time and jeez at 18 the thought of involving my mother would have been a shocker.

I'd have gone without her knowing unless I was dying.

Can't help feeling this visiting the doctor is a bit of a lifestyle choice for some.

My interactions wit hte NHS are:

- being born.

- having my jabs as a kid.

- appendix blowing up in my 30s (AnE).

- registering with a GP for the first time since I was a kit at 42 i.e. Id not registered since I was ~12, despite living in 10+ various areas. I had to go back get a heath check which was me pissing in a cup 'for tests' then asking some questions about my my drinking - not that was even a light drinker at he time, never mind heacy. Justa pointless sheet they filled out. Ive got the 50 health check in a few  years. I might skip it.

And thats it.

People I work with are similar.

I think its mainly women and OAPs filling in their days.....

On 09/05/2018 at 19:46, sarahbell said:

So she joined the queue.

He apologises... 

So.

Imho there is also a great variability in practises, some appear shambolic and constantly on the verge of collapse while others are great 

As others have suggested a £10 /£20 fee for appointments and very easy to move beteen practises would change the game very rapidly 

But but but the NHS is the envy of the world! How dare you come on dosbods and criticise the eighth wonder of the world!

Anyone notice the amount of new dentists opening up? Ten years back in my area it was difficult getting a NHS dentist. Now the dentists have banners saying "new NHS patients welcome". 

I'd be happy paying a fee to see a GP. Or at the very least someone that's not been to the GP for years should get priority for appointments. 

I've completely given up on GP's - they're useless IMHO. Best part of a one month wait to see someone who's job seems to be to keep you away from the NHS and offer no useful advice.

With the internet I think it's best people educate themselves and do everything in their own power to look after their health. Blood tests can often be bought at relatively low cost privately for those who want to practice preventative health care.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

But but but the NHS is the envy of the world! How dare you come on dosbods and criticise the eighth wonder of the world!

Anyone notice the amount of new dentists opening up? Ten years back in my area it was difficult getting a NHS dentist. Now the dentists have banners saying "new NHS patients welcome". 

I'd be happy paying a fee to see a GP. Or at the very least someone that's not been to the GP for years should get priority for appointments. 

Yup all foreign and coming here to "drill for gold". Will cram 10 patients into an hour, you go in, they take less than 1 minute checking your teeth, decide you need just 1 filling (you mostly likely don't any or need more than 1), give you it and send you on your way. You'll be in there less than 5 minutes. They then charge the NHS £60. Hence the drilling for gold. 

Edited by gibbon