• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Battenberg

Anyone had or built a site with Shopify or Woocommerce?

Posted (edited)

As others have said, what are you trying to do? Woocommerce is highly thought of; I have no experience of Shopify.

Also take a look at:

• Shopperpress. I've used that previously and found it reasonable, and it will import data feeds from affiliate sites and auto-populate the site.
  • I think it was also osCommerce I used for a small number of actual products sold using Paypal. Worked really well as I'd just get an email saying I'd received payment for an order, and to post so-and-so to this address. Should have scaled that one up really as I was selling a $0.60 USD product for £15. For the amount of effort I had to put in, it worked out about £300 an hour. [EDIT: wouldn't do it now as the product was questionably (but definitely) legal]
Edited by Inoperational Bumblebee

Just now, DTMark said:

Magento is probably the best-known one.

Yes, but they closed down the small business version (magento go) a couple of years ago.

If you can afford to employ a developer (and have the skills to work with them) then it is a good solution. 

However, most people with a bit of savvy should be able to get a shopify site up and running in a few days. And from experience I like the ability to have it in my own total control.

14 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yes, but they closed down the small business version (magento go) a couple of years ago.

If you can afford to employ a developer (and have the skills to work with them) then it is a good solution. 

However, most people with a bit of savvy should be able to get a shopify site up and running in a few days. And from experience I like the ability to have it in my own total control.

If instead of employing a developer, you contract a consultancy - then you should need no skills other than to be able to describe what you want to achieve ;)

Mind you the last quote I saw based on Magento and a template design (get template from Template Monster and change the logo and some text) was around £15k for the build and the licence fee was £10k per year. Then add hosting and other ancillary costs.

Largely ignoring what the client actually wanted to achieve in favour of what was quick and profitable to do. "Maybe we can get someone in India to install a plug-in later on" - I paraphrase and colour that slightly, but - that sort of thing. Such a company cannot call itself a consultancy.

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

If instead of employing a developer, you contract a consultancy - then you should need no skills other than to be able to describe what you want to achieve ;)

Mind you the last quote I saw based on Magento and a template design (get template from Template Monster and change the logo and some text) was around £15k for the build and the licence fee was £10k per year. Then add hosting and other ancillary costs.

Largely ignoring what the client actually wanted to achieve in favour of what was quick and profitable to do. "Maybe we can get someone in India to install a plug-in later on" - I paraphrase and colour that slightly, but - that sort of thing. Such a company cannot call itself a consultancy.

I would tend to agree. If you are looking at £0.5m plus turnover then Magento is a good solution.

Shopify makes sense at just a few £k turnover.

I currently have my website with a company that has created it's own system. It manages stock and orders well but I need more now. 

We sell on our own site, ebay, amazon and in our store. 

My site currently allows me to create a new product then push it to ebay with minimal fuss but not Amazon. I'm looking for a faster solution to get all products on all platforms instead of triplicating work. 

I have found a company that can help with this, stock inventory, centrally managed orders, epos, Amazon price settings, etc but they intergrate best with Shopify or Woocommerce. My current system may intergrate but it's going to cost around 6K and it's not worth me doing that. 

The company that will manage the CRM can build a Woocommerce site for me at a reasonable cost but they've also suggested I look at Shopify. I'd really need to find someone build that for me, I think.