• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Crossbows to be banned

MPs call to ban online sales of deadly crossbows which are sold for as little as £25 without the need for licence or background check

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5707097/MPs-call-ban-online-sales-deadly-crossbows.html

So the violent crime enablers want to remove any form of medieval antiques from the public whilst turning a blind eye to machete and firearm weilding drug gangs in all the major UK cities? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Crossbows are pretty ineffective weapons, actually -- the reload speed is so slow they're more of a liability.  Sure, they could (and have) be used for attacks, but generally by people who would just use something else just as effective if crossbows were banned. (They're not like firearms, which are devastatingly effective at lethal-force at a distance -- nothing else really comes close)

Anyway, we seem to be back in 'be seen to be doing something' territory.  What do you ban?

• Crossbows.  Very few people would care that much.  Very easy to implement, with little effort (on the part of government and police) and likely 100% success.
  • Knives.  Hmm -- used everywhere in house.  Difficult.
  • Ah, ban carrying of knives.  But then you've got to actually go out and do something to catch people carrying knives.  Sounds like work.
  • Ban guns.  Oh, tried that.  Seems that actually banning things doesn't work if there's enough demand and you let in loads of people from countries that have easy access to firearms and you don't police borders properly.  And it sounds like more work.

Decisions, decisions.

[Actually, I think the next 'ban' to come will be to require a licence to hold an air gun.  Scotland has done this.  It doesn't seem to actually had any impact*, other than to increase paperwork for everyone]

[* If I had my way I'd require all new laws to have success criteria associated with them at the point that they're drafted.  Then, if the laws come in but the expected outcomes weren't met then the law should be rescinded as not having the desired effect.  They'd never do this, of course, as that would highlight loads of failures.  Better (for them) to not measure outcomes and then talk in qualitative ways about how much better things are without having to provide any actual proof]

[I've been improving my archery skills over the last few years.  I'm not really interested in crossbows, but I think I might just buy one just in case they do ban sales.]

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Won't someone ban parentheses!

You may take our lives, but you will never take our (parentheses!)

2 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

Vans kill more people than crossbows.

Just sayin’

Vans don't kill people

Waaaaaaaaaaapers do.

3 hours ago, dgul said:

Crossbows are pretty ineffective weapons, actually -- the reload speed is so slow they're more of a liability.  Sure, they could (and have) be used for attacks, but generally by people who would just use something else just as effective if crossbows were banned. (They're not like firearms, which are devastatingly effective at lethal-force at a distance -- nothing else really comes close)

Anyway, we seem to be back in 'be seen to be doing something' territory.  What do you ban?

• Crossbows.  Very few people would care that much.  Very easy to implement, with little effort (on the part of government and police) and likely 100% success.
  • Knives.  Hmm -- used everywhere in house.  Difficult.
  • Ah, ban carrying of knives.  But then you've got to actually go out and do something to catch people carrying knives.  Sounds like work.
  • Ban guns.  Oh, tried that.  Seems that actually banning things doesn't work if there's enough demand and you let in loads of people from countries that have easy access to firearms and you don't police borders properly.  And it sounds like more work.

Decisions, decisions.

[Actually, I think the next 'ban' to come will be to require a licence to hold an air gun.  Scotland has done this.  It doesn't seem to actually had any impact*, other than to increase paperwork for everyone]

[* If I had my way I'd require all new laws to have success criteria associated with them at the point that they're drafted.  Then, if the laws come in but the expected outcomes weren't met then the law should be rescinded as not having the desired effect.  They'd never do this, of course, as that would highlight loads of failures.  Better (for them) to not measure outcomes and then talk in qualitative ways about how much better things are without having to provide any actual proof]

[I've been improving my archery skills over the last few years.  I'm not really interested in crossbows, but I think I might just buy one just in case they do ban sales.]

Ban black people!

26 minutes ago, One percent said:

This one really worries me. What are we all going to do to survive the coming zombie apocalypse without crossbows?  

We could make bows and arrows from bamboo cane and some string.

6 hours ago, dgul said:

And as you know stop and search was stopped because someone might be offended. 

17 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Seems unthinkable now, but everyone I knew as a child made these and shot bamboo arrows at each other and no-one ever lost an eye.

Haha me and my (then) best friend used to stand one at each end of a very large garden and throw darts at each other. Worst injury I came away with was an arrow piercing my shoe and sticking out of my foot. Unthinkable now.

Seriously though this is the thin end of the wedge and leading towards a total disarmament of the proles. I'm not going to allow my firearms certificate to lapse as I feel they'll be much more tightly held and grandfathered rights will apply. 

If we let them take our crossbows, they'll move onto the flail, then the battleaxe.

However, they'll have to pry my trusty bardiche from my cold, dead hands.

4 minutes ago, Reck B said:

If we let them take our crossbows, they'll move onto the flail, then the battleaxe.

However, they'll have to pry my trusty bardiche from my cold, dead hands.

Throwing axes are definitely the coolest weapon of all.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

This one really worries me. What are we all going to do to survive the coming zombie apocalypse without crossbows?  

I have toyed with the idea of buying a crossbow but the ones available online didn't look much good. 

As every scholar of apocalyptic literature knows, a crossbow is a far more useful weapon than a firearm, because it can be used when the ammo runs out, and the bolts can be easily made and re-used. 

15 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I have toyed with the idea of buying a crossbow but the ones available online didn't look much good. 

As every scholar of apocalyptic literature knows, a crossbow is a far more useful weapon than a firearm, because it can be used when the ammo runs out, and the bolts can be easily made and re-used. 

Arguably a bow is a more effective hunting tool.  For a start a bow is much quieter than a crossbow.  The bow also allows a much faster rate of fire, which might be important if attacked by more than one person.  The only downside to a bow is that it requires a bit of practice, whereas the crossbow is easier to use with no practice.

36 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Haha me and my (then) best friend used to stand one at each end of a very large garden and throw darts at each other. Worst injury I came away with was an arrow piercing my shoe and sticking out of my foot. Unthinkable now.

Seriously though this is the thin end of the wedge and leading towards a total disarmament of the proles. I'm not going to allow my firearms certificate to lapse as I feel they'll be much more tightly held and grandfathered rights will apply. 

Not sure about grand fathered rights it did  not help in 1987 or in 1997.

Personally I am emigrating to a country where I can bare arms. 

Sadly we are going to need them g ok g forward 

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

Arguably a bow is a more effective hunting tool.  For a start a bow is much quieter than a crossbow.  The bow also allows a much faster rate of fire, which might be important if attacked by more than one person.  The only downside to a bow is that it requires a bit of practice, whereas the crossbow is easier to use with no practice.

Is it legal to own a longbow in the UK, or has that been banned as well?

I might start taking up archery, it's a fine old English sport and one that might come to England's aid again one day. 

19 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Is it legal to own a longbow in the UK, or has that been banned as well?

I might start taking up archery, it's a fine old English sport and one that might come to England's aid again one day. 

You can own a longbow.

You can also own some very serious compound bows. Probably more deadly than a crossbow.