• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Things that have disappeared in your or your parents' lifetimes

Eucryl tooth powder:

IMG_9853.JPG

Yes you can still buy it but this used to be standard for my parents; all switched to toothpaste now.

Shiny toilet paper:

bathroom-design.jpg

Now I thought this was from the past, until I went to a "traditional" college.

Social:

I think TV killed this off but my parents both said that when they were 21 everyone in the street bought them a card and wished them happy birthday.

3 minutes ago, ccc said:

Phoning up a burds house and having to ask her mum/dad if you could talk to her  - please. 

Reminds me, meeting your mates under the clock at a designated time. It someone didn't turn up, you had no idea why.  Pre mobile phones and we got out more often. 

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

Phoning up a burds house and having to ask her mum/dad if you could talk to her  - please. 

We got a phone in the house when I was about 12. Going back almost 50 years 😳

Father put a lock on it and you had to say who you needed to phone and why before you got the key. If you were allowed the key you always heard him shouting.....you've had long enough on that phone now!

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

We got a phone in the house when I was about 12. Going back almost 50 years 😳

Father put a lock on it and you had to say who you needed to phone and why before you got the key. If you were allowed the key you always heard him shouting.....you've had long enough on that phone now!

We never had a telephone! We banged dustbin lids to communicate!

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Eucryl tooth powder:

IMG_9853.JPG

Yes you can still buy it but this used to be standard for my parents; all switched to toothpaste now.

I've got some of that!

Just now, MrPin said:

We never had a telephone! We banged dustbin lids to communicate!

Did you not have cans and string? State of the arts in its day 

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

I've got some of that!

So have I but I wasn't going to be the first to admit it. 

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Reminds me, meeting your mates under the clock at a designated time. It someone didn't turn up, you had no idea why.  Pre mobile phones and we got out more often. 

Ah yes - arranging to meet up without minute by minute updates.

I miss that.

And yes i appreciate the irony of typing this on a cunty smartphone.

What I think has disappeared from life is feeling carefree....but maybe that has come with age? 

My father worked shifts and every six weeks he had 10 days of night shifts. Mother nicknamed it divorce shift because he was a crabby bastard. (Now I can empathise with how he must have felt).

Anyway in the good weather my mother used to make goodies for picnics and take us and how ever many of friends could be packed in the car to local beaches for the day. I remember an estate car and three kids fitted in the boot! 

The lack of rules for this and rules for that is something that has changed massively.

What I think has disappeared from life is feeling carefree....but maybe that has come with age? 

My father worked shifts and every six weeks he had 10 days of night shifts. Mother nicknamed it divorce shift because he was a crabby bastard. (Now I can empathise with how he must have felt).

Anyway in the good weather my mother used to make goodies for picnics and take us and how ever many of friends could be packed in the car to local beaches for the day. I remember an estate car and three kids fitted in the boot! 

The lack of rules for this and rules for that is something that has changed massively.

Ah the old estate. My dad had a pale blue Volvo 740GL with the back facing two seats facing back. Anyone who has sat there will know this. Reminiscing. Giving the vickis to the next car unlucky enough to be behind you. 

Deary me I'm getting a wee bit teary. Ffs. 

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I remember being carted round in the boot of a mini traveler. You would be prosecuted for that now. 

1 minute ago, ccc said:

Ah the old estate. My dad had a pale blue Volvo 740GL with the back facing two seats facing back. Anyone who has sat there will know this. Reminiscing. Giving the vickis to the next car unlucky enough to be behind you. 

Deary me I'm getting a wee bit teary. Ffs. 

You were rich in your Volvo estate, or was your dad a teacher?

Bit of a niche one this but ... coarse fishing (esp. on rivers) - as I used to know it as a lad, is pretty much dead ... along with several actual river fisheries I used to frequent.

Otherwise, in a word:

Authenticity.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I remember being carted round in the boot of a mini traveler. You would be prosecuted for that now. 

You were rich in your Volvo estate, or was your dad a teacher?

No - IT bod !! 

But yes it was a strange car for that. Previous was a burnt orange (ish) Cavalier SRI. 2.0 including a rear rubber spoiler. Class.

Probably would be worth a fortune these days. Classic. 

Just now, One percent said:

Yes!

I still break the rules though in my campervan with daughter and friends. Loads of them packed in giving them a run down the road at Halloween, Xmas etc after they've boozed up here. Van has mirrored windows and no one can see in it!

Some would say to me that I'm an idiot. Maybe, but nobody I know has died from getting packed in a vehicle with a careful driver.

5 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Bit of a niche one ths but ... coarse fishing (esp. on rivers) - as I used to know it as a lad, is pretty much dead ... along with several actual river fisheries I used to frequent.

Otherwise, in a word:

Authenticity.

Our local river is owned by rich people and they sell salmon fishing for a hefty price. No local lads or lassies are allowed to try their luck at fishing now.

Agree with people not being authentic. Many people these days don't know who they are so how can they be authentic? I blame it on rapid change which doesn't promote a sense of security or community.

Our local river is owned by rich people and they sell salmon fishing for a hefty price. No local lads or lassies are allowed to try their luck at fishing now.

Agree with people not being authentic. Many people these days don't know who they are so how can they be authentic? I blame it on rapid change which doesn't promote a sense of security or community.

What the eye doesn't see... B|

Just now, One percent said:

What the eye doesn't see... B|

Some of the rich twats don't like us dog walkers either. Told a few to fuck off and that they don't own the river or banks, they've only paid to fish there. Twats.

Although lots are very nice and had lots of nice chats with many of them.

Cab-driver's caught linctus. Once tasted, never forgotten.

And agreed, we could get 7 kids in the mini Clubman estate.

The bastard was that on the 'elbow' of the boot door hinges was a kind of spiky golfball thing at head height. A sharp bend and a claret hairstyle was hard to avoid.

10 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Proper hip-to-hip ladies' Axminster minge.

I remember Speedy Gonzales having a penchant for that.

Mexican cunt kept going-on about the underlay if I recall it correctly....

XYY