• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Who Wants to be a Millionaire

Anyone been watching this 20th anniversary special this week, presented by Jeremy Clarkson?

I haven't been his biggest fan over the years, but after a shaky start he's been great - really witty and as the week of shows draws to an end, he's getting into it and enjoying himself now. Utterly hilarious at times. Never knew he was a fan of Turner and also the Thunderbirds..

If only I'd looked at @One percent's avatar more closely, I'd have been able to answer the question about what the message underneath the picture of the woman with the headscarf and the clenched elbow muscle was.

From the trailers, it looks like there will be a mix of different presenters, rather like Have I Got News for You in the coming days/weeks.

Compared with the facile, juvenile crap that's normally to be found on ITV this has been surprisingly enjoyable.

Posted (edited)

Now #26 trending. He is a BIG HIT. He's too politically incorrect to ever reappear on the beeb.

Remember this when he was taking a jibe at political correctness?

Starts 7.32 secs. He was way ahead of his time. I suggest people save it, as it will be deleted from history during "the great burning of books" that is coming...

Untitled.thumb.png.6f569ad58c8a31ce4f04bf7b6ec22029.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo&t=233s

Edited by 201p

I agree Mark, Clarkson's dismissal was warranted. However, if you look into the history of his relationship with then BBC TV controller Danny Cohen (massive Cultural Marxist) he was doing all he could to get shot of him. He had Clarkson in his office to tell him he couldn't call his dog Didier Doggba because it was racist. Clarkson's kids are Chelsea fans and named the dog but it's still racist apparently. And then there was the unbroadcast version of "eeny meany miney mo" which somehow found it's way into the hands of a Mirror reporter. Clarkson has said he suspected it was Cohen who was responsible for the leak. They really wanted him gone. In the end Clarkson, himself, gave them what they wanted. He kind of fell on his own sword.

Such a shame his former POS boss did exactly the same thing (fell on his sword) just a few months later when it was revealed he was responsible for the infamous 'luvvie letter'.

3 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Why wouldn't a grovelling apology be sufficient, from the producer who wound Clarkson up to the point of giving him a smack?

Because I think the producer is the type of 'management' sycophant who actually gets themselves off about such situations.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Why wouldn't a grovelling apology be sufficient, from the producer who wound Clarkson up to the point of giving him a smack?

My boss winds me up sometimes. If I was to knock the fucker out I don't think a grovelling apology would save my job in that situation. I wouldn't expect it to in any job. I'll defend Clarkson to the death for some of the non PC quotes he's made - it's just words. But I cannot defend him when it comes to actual violence. Even if the useless shit deserved it...

Edited by TheNoSnowMan

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

My boss winds me up sometimes. If I was to knock the fucker out I don't think a grovelling apology would save my job in that situation. I wouldn't expect it to in any job. I'll defend Clarkson to the death for some of the non PC quotes he's made - it's just words. But I cannot defend him when it comes to actual violence. Even if the useless shit deserved it...

True, he shouldn't have slapped the fekker

but it's also easy to say until you have worked with them......

I've come close to decking late twenty to mid 30 something BBC directors on a few occasions. The closest I have come to flooring a director was someone in their late 40s early 50s, but their gender saved them.

There is something 'special' about the So-Called BBC

I've never felt the urge to slap anyone in the independent sector.

Edited by Hopeful

2 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I don't know the full details of the incident from what I recall it was a bit of pushing wasn't it? 

Also I have a vague recollection that the incident happened at a late night/early evening meal or drink occasion.  

It was something about them arriving late at a hotel after a long days filming and the kitchen was closed at that point. Clarkson demanded a full meal and the producer had only laid on nibbles & cold meat or something like that. I don't think we'll ever know exactly what happened but I do know Clarkson had just lost his mother - whom he was very close to and was also going through a messy divorce so I can imagine his mind was not in the best place at that time. He's even said he didn't get much sympathy from his former employers over his situation. Hardly surprising since they wanted him out.

It wasn't just Clarkson that made Top Gear excellent, nor was it Andy Wilman who came up with a lot of the ideas.  It was a combination of them with May and Hammond.  It was great entertainment.

Top Gear was poor before even when two or even three of those were on it but when all four were on it it was excellent and they all contributed.

Top Gear will presumably continue but it was dull for decades and has just reverted to its previous dullness; a programme for car anoraks.

Top Gear was shit anyway. It used to be absolutely brilliant, but the jokes by Hammond, Clarkson and May were becoming so tediously predictable in the last 3 or 4 series. I haven't watched much of the Grand Show or whatever it's called because I just cannot stand Richard Hammond.

Anyway, the new Millionaire is great, and I hope Clarkson does other things. It's the first time I've watched ITV since about 2008 - no exaggeration.

They have made it a lot harder than it used to be, or at least, it gets harder quicker. Some of those £32,000 questions are hard, it didn't used to be this way. On the plus side, the 50:50 is finally fully randomised - bollocks was it before!
To the point where anyone who uttered the words "I think it's either B or D" may as well have just gone home before opening their mouths.

On the subject of quizzes - anyone else got hooked on HQ Trivia?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/hq-trivia-how-hard-win-12265501

9pm has become a bit of a feature in our house - we actually get the kids with us for about 5 minutes as for some reason they think we can help them win.

VERY addictive. (And quite a fit burd to look at even if you don't know the answers)

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

On the subject of quizzes - anyone else got hooked on HQ Trivia?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/hq-trivia-how-hard-win-12265501

9pm has become a bit of a feature in our house - we actually get the kids with us for about 5 minutes as for some reason they think we can help them win.

VERY addictive. (And quite a fit burd to look at even if you don't know the answers)

Hadn't heard of it, will give it a try tonight. Have you won anything? Just read about it and the average payout is 28p if you get them all right, so I guess it's not about the money.

10 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Top Gear was shit anyway. It used to be absolutely brilliant, but the jokes by Hammond, Clarkson and May were becoming so tediously predictable in the last 3 or 4 series. I haven't watched much of the Grand Show or whatever it's called because I just cannot stand Richard Hammond.

Anyway, the new Millionaire is great, and I hope Clarkson does other things. It's the first time I've watched ITV since about 2008 - no exaggeration.

They have made it a lot harder than it used to be, or at least, it gets harder quicker. Some of those £32,000 questions are hard, it didn't used to be this way. On the plus side, the 50:50 is finally fully randomised - bollocks was it before!
To the point where anyone who uttered the words "I think it's either B or D" may as well have just gone home before opening their mouths.

Agree that Top Gear was starting to wear thin before Clarkson got the boot. Even so, the new one has never had that spark that the old series did. Not even close.

Still think the Reliant Robin rocket is one of the best things I've seen, that and racing the Eurofighter.

What grates my cheese is the grief that Clarkson used to get for being un-PC and a bit close to the bone whereas someone like Jeremy Hardy on the News Quiz comes out with the most outrageous, 'fuck the elites/Tories crap and the yoghurt weaving twat is positively encouraged to do so.

Irritates me. 

26 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Hadn't heard of it, will give it a try tonight. Have you won anything? Just read about it and the average payout is 28p if you get them all right, so I guess it's not about the money.

Nothing. Best we have done is question 10.

Normally about 5/6 people make it to the end, so payout is about £70 each.

Though you do get a few times where no one wins and then it's all together for the rollover.

(I think the 28p reference was to the second app they tried, not the HQ Trivia one.

Perhaps we should all have a go tonight - see who does best?

38 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Agree that Top Gear was starting to wear thin before Clarkson got the boot. Even so, the new one has never had that spark that the old series did. Not even close.

Still think the Reliant Robin rocket is one of the best things I've seen, that and racing the Eurofighter.

What grates my cheese is the grief that Clarkson used to get for being un-PC and a bit close to the bone whereas someone like Jeremy Hardy on the News Quiz comes out with the most outrageous, 'fuck the elites/Tories crap and the yoghurt weaving twat is positively encouraged to do so.

Irritates me. 

Season 2 of The Grand Tour was much better than season 1. 

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

Season 2 of The Grand Tour was much better than season 1. 

Was thinking more of the new Top Gear compared with the old one.

I've not actually watched any of The Grand Tour, I'll have to give it a go.

@Sgt Hartman if you felt Top Gear was becoming stale and formulaic you'll probably think that about the Grand Tour as well. It's pretty much the same thing, but they travel around the world instead of being in a studio in Oxfordshire or whatever.

Same cliches and predictability I'm afraid. Amazon paid a bit too much for it, I suspect.

Yes, I’ve watched it. Last one tonight, for now anyway.

I loved the programme when it was on years ago and have enjoyed it again with Jeremy Clarkson presenting. 

The contestants all seem very young this time though. Not many contenders over 40!