• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Cost per usage

Posted (edited)

This follows on from another thread where my mate owned a yacht.  He calculated his cost per usage was in the order of £1,500 per go.

He could have rented a much bigger/better yacht on the med twice a year for much less ( half ).

My Porsche is around £350 per go.

The moral of the storey is, with big ticket items...better to rent.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

This follows on from another thread where my mate owned a yacht.  He calculated his cost per usage was in the order of £1,500 per go.

The Three Fs Rule.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

He could have rented a much bigger/better yacht on the med twice a year for much less ( half ).

Boats and horses, the best ones' are other people's. I'm less sure about cars

With horses especially, owners never have the time and are always looking for people to 'exercise' them. Why own when you can just take it for a spin and hand the reins back.

Re boats, the average yacht does less than 9 hours at sea every year.

Edited by Hopeful

4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Was thinking a similar thing the other day, I got a caravan a couple of years ago, ignoring the cost of the caravan because I will more than likely get my money back from that (not delusional, it's an Eriba, second hand prices are pretty static and I paid under the odds), however obviously you need to tow it and a tow bar cost £500 (for my particular car at least), I think with the old car we used it about 5 times so £100 a go before we sold the car. 

Just now, gilf said:

Was thinking a similar thing the other day, I got a caravan a couple of years ago, ignoring the cost of the caravan because I will more than likely get my money back from that (not delusional, it's an Eriba, second hand prices are pretty static and I paid under the odds), however obviously you need to tow it and a tow bar cost £500 (for my particular car at least), I think with the old car we used it about 5 times so £100 a go before we sold the car. 

You'd probably not have god accommodation cheaper than that tho ?

My bother in laws bike.

£200.

Usage once.

Cost per usage, £200.

7 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Possibly, but that's just the cost of the tow bar per use, add on the site fees, additional petrol etc. 

Don't get me wrong, really enjoy using it and nothing like your two examples in terms of expense.

21 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

If you have to count the cost you cant afford it. That's why I never bother with the cost per mile calculation of my car, I'd only upset myself if I did. 

13 minutes ago, gilf said:

If you are going to buy, buy well. Aircraft designer turned caravan maker IIRC or at least used aluminium frame design as basis, selling at the right time of year and will almost definitely make money on it as you say. 

6 minutes ago, gilf said:

Possibly, but that's just the cost of the tow bar per use, add on the site fees, additional petrol etc. 

Don't get me wrong, really enjoy using it and nothing like your two examples in terms of expense.

There is a trade off being C/P/U and happiness/enjoyment.

Although the yacht one is horrendous tho.

4 minutes ago, onlyme said:

If you are going to buy, buy well. Aircraft designer turned caravan maker IIRC or at least used aluminium frame design as basis, selling at the right time of year and will almost definitely make money on it as you say. 

My dad bought an Eriba recently. About 5k for a 20 year old caravan!

My condoms vary as to cost per use. I try to get at least three or four uses out of them but sometimes only manage one of two. 

My Ferrari costs about £760 a use though I am trying to get out in it more.

My last yacht was terrible, about £1200 a use, that's mostly why I sold it to buy my Lamborghini, though it's not al that much better, tyres and petrol are big ones though the insurance is pretty bad too.

My latest tin opener has been great, it's down to just under 2p a use now, and still going strong.

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

My condoms vary as to cost per use. I try to get at least three or four uses out of them but sometimes only manage one of two. 

My Ferrari costs about £760 a use though I am trying to get out in it more.

My last yacht was terrible, about £1200 a use, that's mostly why I sold it to buy my Lamborghini, though it's not al that much better, tyres and petrol are big ones though the insurance is pretty bad too.

My latest tin opener has been great, it's down to just under 2p a use now, and still going strong.

xDxD

Best cost per usage, my pants.  a half penny per use.

Wont be renting them.

Holiday homes....

Friend has spent £50,000 per usage.

That's got to be some kind of record.

46 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

If it floats, flies or fucks then it's always cheaper to rent it.

I wonder if that's true, not knowing anything about aeroplanes however the cost to fly in a Spitfire at Headcorn aerodrome for 1 hour is about 2 grand. I'm lucky enough to have them occasionally go over but have no idea how much they'd cost to buy.

Edit: oh, right. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11565774/WW2-Spitfire-shot-down-over-Dunkirk-on-sale-for-2.5m.html

Good quality Coffee machine bought December 2015 - £1400

2 kilos of coffee per month @ average £12 per kilo -  £700

Average of 7 cups of coffee per day (usually less, sometimes much more) plus milk for average of 3 cups of coffee per day -  £300

De-scaling and cleaning solutions plus water filters - £100

Total cost of 3600 cups of coffee - £2,500 (excluding electricity)

Cost per cup of coffee - £0.69

4 minutes ago, Duck said:

Good quality Coffee machine bought December 2015 - £1400

2 kilos of coffee per month @ average £12 per kilo -  £700

Average of 7 cups of coffee per day (usually less, sometimes much more) plus milk for average of 3 cups of coffee per day -  £300

De-scaling and cleaning solutions plus water filters - £100

Total cost of 3600 cups of coffee - £2,500 (excluding electricity)

Cost per cup of coffee - £0.69

1/4 or an american style coffee chain  ( or the same as a wetherspoons pub ).

1 waffle maker.

Cost per usage, £12.50.

54 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My bother in laws bike.

£200.

Usage once.

Cost per usage, £200.

Thats cheap for a wife.

I do side eye people with the hugely expensive new caravans and all the gear (including a tow vehicle). Not old Eribas. You know the sort  I mean. I always find myself thinking “just imagine the holidays you could have bought for that!” It’s not like in North America - there’s always somewhere nice to stay within a short distance, somewhere with proper plumbing.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Most of the cars I've bought in the last 20 years have a negative cost per go (just about for most, excessively so for two).  The inflation in the price of 'classic cars' is stupid -- I use quotes as some of them aren't even that old, yet the demands seems to be relentless nonetheless.

12 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I do side eye people with the hugely expensive new caravans and all the gear (including a tow vehicle). Not old Eribas. You know the sort  I mean. I always find myself thinking “just imagine the holidays you could have bought for that!” It’s not like in North America - there’s always somewhere nice to stay within a short distance, somewhere with proper plumbing.

This is very true -- and it isn't as though the costs are stripped away once you've spunked your money on one.  I went on holiday a couple of years ago to a nice country cottage in France; my sister took her caravan to a (admittedly nice) pitch in the same area a month later.  Her costs for the trip were greater than mine -- let alone the capital invested in the caravan.

39 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

1 waffle maker.

Cost per usage, £12.50.

Toasted cheese sandwich maker. Probably needs replacing every 50 sandwiches. (It's not me who uses a knife to unstick the things)
about a tenner aren't they? So probably 20p a go.
Had a toasted cheese sandwich yesterday. Oh it was good. 

16 minutes ago, Melchett said:

An interesting thread as I plan to get one of these, already having the vehicle.

I reckon it would pay for itself after 6 trips that would require hiring a similar camper

Well that's my justification, as I've never spent so much money before

GAZELLSARDAIGNE.jpg