• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Flipping cars

15 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Does this happen a lot?

Wales has roads that have more accidents in Summer than Winter.

Anybody that's seen the classic footage of Jim Clark sliding his Lotus Cortina around Oulton Park, will note his ability to control  tail sliding through corners, superb skills.

Sadly many come to Wales in Summer months to demonstrate their complete lack of such ability. Running out of talent heading straight to the scene of the accident.

The last 2 weeks alone, there have been 8 deaths on local roads, 2 in a Porsche, 6 bikers, along with many injured. I'm not  saying they were at fault. Not for a minute, often accidents are caused by people just not paying attention.

Another factor, is the popularity of short wheelbase, high centre of gravity, small SUVs, Vauxhall Mokka, Renault Captur, but even small cars, Corsas, Fiestas, now so narrow, so tall, so short.

Looking back at classic footage again, anybody that has seen tests of London double-decker buses, the extraordinary lean angle before tipping over. Well, a Nissan Quashqai with roof mounted bicycles is the opposite.

I've seen one over last bank holiday, clip the kerb, flip onto it's roof, spinning to a stop, scattering the contents of it's interior, like a catherine wheel, all across the road. Nobody hurt thankfully, but road closed for hours.

Yes, it happens a lot.

About 8 years ago I was driving down a country lane and a Saxo pulled out from a driveway too fast, went up the verge opposite and rolled over onto its back like an upturned beetle. It was surprising how easily it rolled over really, the driver was only going about 20mph. Apparently he had just had a row and was angry with his partner. :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

About 8 years ago I was driving down a country lane and a Saxo pulled out from a driveway too fast, went up the verge opposite and rolled over onto its back like an upturned beetle. It was surprising how easily it rolled over really, the driver was only going about 20mph. Apparently he had just had a row and was angry with his partner. :ph34r:

I have actually been overturned in a VW Beetle. It's as if they are made to overturned.

Perhaps VW should have produced a Click Beetle.

Edited by Happy Renting

I rolled an Astra Mk4 estate, not particularly tall and a heavy diesel engine (the fire brigade couldn't put it back on its wheels with 6 of them, it just kept rotating around the front end - ended up on the truck upside down), just hit the 45degree bank at speed and over it goes :)

Some of these van-like tall cars are made as convertibles. That won't be a nice accident. I noticed my Lexus can be hidden by an Astra or Mini in the car park. Why are these cars so high? They can't be very nice to drive?

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Why are these cars so high? 

Hyacinth Bucket factor.

Swathes of uninformed school run Mums believe they are superior when looking down on other driver. Even if they are 4ft wide and 8 feet long.

Expensive cars are often lower than average which defeats their argument.

13 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Even the reissued GT40 was over 40 inches tall.

Yes. like most of its drivers. Keep the thread sensible you erratic loon!xD

25 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Hyacinth Bucket factor.

Swathes of uninformed school run Mums believe they are superior when looking down on other driver. Even if they are 4ft wide and 8 feet long.

Expensive cars are often lower than average which defeats their argument.

I think the rules of Physics means they fall over a lot. I like low flat cars that skid.

12 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yes. like most of its drivers. Keep the thread sensible you erratic loon!xD

Noel Edmunds had an original GT40, and he couldn't see over the roof.

Clarkson bought one of the modern tall GT40s and still didn't fit in it.    :Jumping:

39 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Some of these van-like tall cars are made as convertibles. That won't be a nice accident. I noticed my Lexus can be hidden by an Astra or Mini in the car park. Why are these cars so high? They can't be very nice to drive?

A lot of older, and not so older, people do have difficulty getting in and out of low cars.  Mine is a low sports model and I have received a few comments about how hard it is in to get in and get back out again.

Possibly it's a poor reflection of the state of the nation's fitness as I don't just get those comments from old people.

(And I'm not a taxi driver before you start Pinny! I'm just very obliging in giving people lifts)

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

A lot of older, and not so older, people do have difficulty getting in and out of low cars.  Mine is a low sports model and I have received a few comments about how hard it is in to get in and get back out again.

Possibly it's a poor reflection of the state of the nation's fitness as I don't just get those comments from old people.

(And I'm not a taxi driver before you start Pinny! I'm just very obliging in giving people lifts)

Yes Frank. My current car's previous elderly owner found it hard to get in and out of it. This elderly owner has no problem.:Old:

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yes Frank. My current car's previous elderly owner found it hard to get in and out of it. This elderly owner has no problem.:Old:

You'm not elderly me babber.

My old neighbour was still flying a microlight (badly) in his late seventies.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You'm not elderly me babber.

My old neighbour was still flying a microlight (badly) in his late seventies.

Well I do give a warning to ATC when I launch a concert grand, so I hope your mate has a radio for the airport bands

3 hours ago, One percent said:

I like the 'oh putain!' from whoever was filming. Amusing that the Mail don't bleep foreign swearing!

Albeit that the roundabout appears to be rather off camber that's still a pretty poor show from a £80k car, you'd have thought the ESP should have done something to save it.

My dad rolled his Jeep Cherokee on a French autoroute years ago, in snow I think, on his way to the Alps for a skiing holiday. He claimed not to know how it happened, possibly a tyyre blowout. The insurance company repaired it and gave it back to him AFAIK!

My boyfriend rolled his dad’s Lada with me in it. Driving through the lanes at night, raining, he was going on about how he’d love to be a rally driver. Next thing I know he’s up the bank and we’re hanging upside down. I did panic a bit because the angle meant my door wouldn’t open. We managed to climb out of the driver side. All his dad could say, as he looked at his car upside down, was that it really was built like a tank.

I’m glad we were in his dad’s car because my boyfriend owned an MG Midget that was off the road at the time.

I must have been the only one thinking this was a thread about buying and selling cars at a profit..

I think most cars will flip if you clip something..  otherwise they usually just tend to skid on flat tarmac. I expect clipping a curb is the usual culprit.